Control Arm Replacements

Breto31

TJ Enthusiast
Before you guys scorn me, I've looked all over the place for info regarding control arm replacements, and I can't really find the answers to my specific questions, so if we have links or other info just let me know and I'll re-read. Anyway.....

I was looking under my jeep the other day to inspect the bushings and what not, and I noticed that the bushing on the control arms are REALLY bad - probably haven't been changed in 15 years. I looked into the bushing replacements, but it sounds like the best option is to just replace the entire arm(s). I'm no mechanic, but I have some basic skills, so I'd like to replace them all while I'm in there.... I have 2005 Wrangler X with a 4" suspension lift (from the PO) and 33x10.50 BFG KO2. The lift is from Zone I THINK - can't say for sure since it was already on there, and there wasn't anything identifying it aside from a steering stabilizer with ZONE on it (I know that doesn't have anything to do with the lift, but I called Zone, asked some questions, and they told me it sounds like their 4" lift, so here we are). This rig is drive mainly on the road, with some LIGHT off-roading.

1. Is there any reason to go with adjustable vs fixed? The rig has aftermarket fixed ones on there now (presumably came with the lift), and I have no real driving issues - it could be smoother, but I didn't buy it for the ride. Is this just a preference, or is there really a major benefit to upgrading to adjustable vs the fixed ones I have currently? I know adjustable ones allow you to change the angles, but is that really necessary.
  2. I'd need the full setup, so front upper/lower, rear upper/lower, I assume, to replace everything. I'm having trouble discerning what exactly I need to purchase to cover all of that. I would think that there would be more options for a "kit" out there that has all of the items I'd need to do a full replacement, but most sites have everything separate, and I'm just not sure that I'm buying the right things.
  3. What brand is good, but won't break the bank? I never hear good things about Rough Country, but they seem to be the most reasonably priced brand. I know you get what you pay for, so I'm not wanting the cheapest, but I also don't want to pay for the most bulletproof ones out there either.
  4. Is there anything I need to be aware of while doing this and basically just swapping for the same/similar arms that are already on there? All of the videos I've watched seem pretty straight forward.

As always, I appreciate you guys and the insight you provide.

Reactions: Irun
At 4" you really should have adjustables to get your suspension adjusted appropriately. Cheaper arms like rough country are attractive until you find out you will be replacing them far sooner than a quality arm. I would avoid them if you plan to keep your Jeep more than a few years. Currie and Savvy are the best out there but are at the top end of price (they are worth it). Core 4X4 sells decent arms with the choice of using a flex joint on one end. This is the minimum you want and would work for your stated purposes. A full set would run between $820-$880. Whatever you decision avoid arms that have solid bushings at both ends. This puts a lot of stress on the mounts and can lead to bad things. The stock arms are beautifully designed and allow the arm itself to flex instead of the bushing.
Control arms will not effect your ride much. Bad bushings will, of course, cause issues and should be replaced if damaged. If you want to improve your ride look at your shocks. Most budget kits come with horrible shocks. If you still have some unamed shocks the PO installed I would ditch them and get a better set.

At 4" you really should have adjustables to get your suspension adjusted appropriately. Cheaper arms like rough country are attractive until you find out you will be replacing them far sooner than a quality arm. I would avoid them if you plan to keep your Jeep more than a few years. Currie and Savvy are the best out there but are at the top end of price (they are worth it). Core 4X4 sells decent arms with the choice of using a flex joint on one end. This is the minimum you want and would work for your stated purposes. A full set would run between $820-$880. Whatever you decision avoid arms that have solid bushings at both ends. This puts a lot of stress on the mounts and can lead to bad things. The stock arms are beautifully designed and allow the arm itself to flex instead of the bushing.
Control arms will not effect your ride much. Bad bushings will, of course, cause issues and should be replaced if damaged. If you want to improve your ride look at your shocks. Most budget kits come with horrible shocks. If you still have some unamed shocks the PO installed I would ditch them and get a better set.
I have Rancho RS5000X shocks, and they definitely improved the ride, so I’m good there..... Know anything about Rubicon Express adjustables? They seem to be reasonably priced, and were recommended by someone else. I’ll prob replace them in phases to avoid a big up-front chunk of $. Probably going to do the front lowers, then rear lowers, and then go for the uppers.

Reactions: Jack1947
I had the RE arms and they didn't last me very long. The rubber tore after just a few years and I only put around 2k a year on the jeep. I really liked the double adjustable MC's I had before the savvy mid-arm though. (the savvy arms are also great) I've heard good things about core4x4 if you're looking for more of a budget option.

I have Rancho RS5000X shocks, and they definitely improved the ride, so I’m good there..... Know anything about Rubicon Express adjustables? They seem to be reasonably priced, and were recommended by someone else. I’ll prob replace them in phases to avoid a big up-front chunk of $. Probably going to do the front lowers, then rear lowers, and then go for the uppers.
Good call on the shocks.👍
I am not a fan of Rubicon Express. I had their rear uppers years ago and was not impressed with the quality. I also had their trackbar which was garbage. For the price I would still go with Core4x4. Their tier 2 arms would be the most economical option.

Reactions: Alex01
I had the RE arms and they didn't last me very long. The rubber tore after just a few years and I only put around 2k a year on the jeep. I really liked the double adjustable MC's I had before the savvy mid-arm though. (the savvy arms are also great) I've heard good things about core4x4 if you're looking for more of a budget option.
Thanks! I’m going to look into the MC and Core4x4 more.

Good call on the shocks.👍
I am not a fan of Rubicon Express. I had their rear uppers years ago and was not impressed with the quality. I also had their trackbar which was garbage. For the price I would still go with Core4x4. Their tier 2 arms would be the most economical option.
Thanks! I’ll look into those some more. I hadn’t looked at them yet.

I have the Core adjustable rear arms and so far they have been good. They seem to have good joints and are darn beefy. Had an issue with one of the grease zerks stripping out. A simple call to them got a new one on the way with a box to return the old one.

I have the Core adjustable rear arms and so far they have been good. They seem to have good joints and are darn beefy. Had an issue with one of the grease zerks stripping out. A simple call to them got a new one on the way with a box to return the old one.
I've been looking at them this morning, and I think that's the route I'm going to go with Rubber bushings. I've watched 4-5 YouTube vids about replacing the arms, and it seams pretty straight forward (I'm sure it's not, though), but I'm going to give this a go myself.

I'll also add, if you can find double adjustable arms they are well worth the extra cost when it comes do dialing in angles. Especially if you plan on building the jeep in steps.

I'll also add, if you can find double adjustable arms they are well worth the extra cost when it comes do dialing in angles. Especially if you plan on building the jeep in steps.
This is where I start to question myself a bit - talking about angles and adjustments, etc.. I was just planning to plug-n-play with these new ones. Take the old ones out, adjust the new ones to the same length, put them on and go. I'm hoping to not have to adjust any angles since I'm just replacing them with the "exact same" thing in theory. I'm not replacing my lift anytime soon, and I don't plan on increasing tire size above 33's that are on it now.

I've been looking at them this morning, and I think that's the route I'm going to go with Rubber bushings. I've watched 4-5 YouTube vids about replacing the arms, and it seams pretty straight forward (I'm sure it's not, though), but I'm going to give this a go myself.

best advise is to just keep a jack ready to go right behind the pinion bearing of your diff. This will let you make adjustments as necessary to get the bolts aligned again. Can be tricky but easily doable.

This is where I start to question myself a bit - talking about angles and adjustments, etc.. I was just planning to plug-n-play with these new ones. Take the old ones out, adjust the new ones to the same length, put them on and go. I'm hoping to not have to adjust any angles since I'm just replacing them with the "exact same" thing in theory. I'm not replacing my lift anytime soon, and I don't plan on increasing tire size above 33's that are on it now.
If you don't have any vibes with your current setup, that will work.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
Don't overthink it. Adjusting arms is a fairly easy task that can be done at home with a floor jack, basic tools, and an angle finder. If you're just replacing links to the same size single adjustable will be just fine. Just remove one arm at a time and replace it with the new one until your done. If down the line though you decide to raise the belly, add an SYE, or use taller springs the double adjustable will take less than 10 min to adjust while the singles will take substantially more time. Then there is a good chance you won't get the angle right the first time and you'll need to either raise or lower the pinion to get it vib free.

Summit offers a Moog OEM replace the set of 4 for $199.00. Put them on mine that has a 1-3/4” lift.
I replaced my control arms with AC Delco brand. They look well made, but not in USA. The uppers and front bushings went in as expected but the lowers had an issue. The center tube in one bushing of all four arms is 7/32” wider than the OEM. I had to saw off a little of the tube to get it to fit the frame and axle mounts. I would not recommend them because of this issue.

Anyone have any experience with Rock Krawler arms? Mainly just read about Currie and Savvy on here, so just curious. I'm going to be doing control arms soon and just trying to explore all the options.

Anyone have any experience with Rock Krawler arms? Mainly just read about Currie and Savvy on here, so just curious. I'm going to be doing control arms soon and just trying to explore all the options.
Just looking at them, they seem to use some sort of proprietary bushing/joint that reminds me of rubicon express. Around here, there’s a sort of bias against such design solutions but I cannot attest for the quality.

Personally, I’m interested in the Ranchos as you can get them for $200/pr from rock auto