Control Arm Replacements

Just looking at them, they seem to use some sort of proprietary bushing/joint that reminds me of rubicon express. Around here, there’s a sort of bias against such design solutions but I cannot attest for the quality.

Personally, I’m interested in the Ranchos as you can get them for $200/pr from rock auto
How about the Rubicon Express with their “Jonny joint “ anyone have experience there?

No, but they are a great option for anyone wanting to build a durable, reliable, long lasting TJ - regardless of how they drive it.

I don't know what a GIIRO joint is. And then I saw it's $900 for a rubber bushing control arm set and said to myself, no thank you.

My only other experience is with Rubicon Express. I threw away a RE set of adjustable arms after I bought my TJ. Looked like fresh grease in, looked like clean grease squeezed out. Whatever is inside is was still rusted to pieces and rattling.

I've been more than happy with Savvy double adjustable, aluminium arms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun and Alex01
In theory, it can be a simple swap, just do one arm at a time and have a ratchet strap, in case something moves. The only unknown can be with removing the bolts. I've had to cut more than one, because the bolts rusted/fused to the steel bushing sleeve. If this happens it's no reason to panic and a simple reciprocating saw will be your friend.

FWIW, it's great that you are taking something like this on. It's a straight forward project that will help you learn, and save you money.
  1. Is there anything I need to be aware of while doing this and basically just swapping for the same/similar arms that are already on there? All of the videos I've watched seem pretty straight forward.

In theory, it can be a simple swap, just do one arm at a time and have a ratchet strap, in case something moves. The only unknown can be with removing the bolts. I've had to cut more than one, because the bolts rusted/fused to the steel bushing sleeve. If this happens it's no reason to panic and a simple reciprocating saw will be your friend.

FWIW, it's great that you are taking something like this on. It's a straight forward project that will help you learn, and save you money.

I agree with this. I've replaced mine in the driveway. I recommend hitting it with PB blaster or w/e you use over the next week. Get a large breaker bar from the auto store, it really helps with these bolts, and a torque wrench. The greaseable bolts that come with some of these sets are touchy to over torquing.

A bfh(especially a stubby mallet) will be helpful for the stuck bolts @Irun is talking about and a torch can be helpful to break the nut free.

If you have a friend around they can help you out by rocking the wheel to help align a bolt that's slightly off.

If you're adjusting your rear pinion you can do this slowly by getting both in at the same length. Pull one out, adjust it X number of turns. Have your friend rock the wheel til you can get it in. Then do the other side. Do this until your pinion is good.

Reactions: Irun and Alex01
I went with all new hardware (core4×4 sell the set) dur to my NY environment. And have a couple carbide blades for the sawzall standing by. I had many bolts (all??) That didn't want to play nice. Those carbide blades make it so much easier than wrestling with torches, then hammer, then a bit more torch, then grab a ....

Ordered my Core 4X4 adjustable front upper/lowers, and new hardware today. I'll keep you guys updated as I get them replaced. It looks simple enough, so I'm sure it'll take forever. Going to start hitting the bolts with PB Blaster periodically over the next few days while I wait for the new ones to arrive.

Reactions: 06lj and Chris
Ordered my Core 4X4 adjustable front upper/lowers, and new hardware today. I'll keep you guys updated as I get them replaced. It looks simple enough, so I'm sure it'll take forever. Going to start hitting the bolts with PB Blaster periodically over the next few days while I wait for the new ones to arrive.
PB Blaster is barely better than WD-40 which doesn't even claim to be a penetrant. You'd be a lot better off with Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or Break Free in that order. PB-Blaster is in a very distant 4th place as far as its penetrant qualities go.

Reactions: Breto31
PB Blaster is barely better than WD-40 which doesn't even claim to be a penetrant. You'd be a lot better off with Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or Break Free in that order. PB-Blaster is in a very distant 4th place as far as its penetrant qualities go.
I'll grab some! Thanks. Maybe that's why PB Blaster was on sale for $3.50 at Rural King :p

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Im interested in the Rubicon Express super ride control arms. Xtreme terrain has front/rear upper/lower sets priced from 860 bucks. XT is pretty close to me and offers free and or very fast shipping. I have never tried the control arms as Im very new to this jeep thing and I have some drivetrain vibrations at the moment when under acceleration. I feel the pinion has excessive movement causing some binding of my u-joints - all on a stock suspension. Anyways, I buy American, and can't afford as much as most, so the RE set, IMHO, is something I would be interested in.

Enjoy your weekend, ladies and gentlemen.

I’ll have a complete set of front and rear double adjustable Savvy CA for sale in mid April if your not in a rush. I’m going a different route, they were only on my Jeep since last August.

If I haven’t bought a set by then, I’d be interested if you want to ship them to NC

Im interested in the Rubicon Express super ride control arms. Xtreme terrain has front/rear upper/lower sets priced from 860 bucks. XT is pretty close to me and offers free and or very fast shipping. I have never tried the control arms as Im very new to this jeep thing and I have some drivetrain vibrations at the moment when under acceleration. I feel the pinion has excessive movement causing some binding of my u-joints - all on a stock suspension. Anyways, I buy American, and can't afford as much as most, so the RE set, IMHO, is something I would be interested in.

This thread has been helpful for me regarding the control arms (I had a YJ before, and didn't even know what control arms were). My bushings from the PO are toast, and this swap needs to be done.... I ordered the Core 4X4 Tier 1 adjustable front lowers/uppers, and they were $330 delivered with new hardware. I ordered them this afternoon, and I already have tracking in my email from Core. Core was recommended as a budget-friendly option, but great product (I had previously asked about Rubicon Express, and they had mixed reviews, but I'm sure they serve their purpose). Core has more expensive ones, but my off-roading is not very heavy, so I opted to not spend the extra $$. The rears will run me about another $340.00 when that time comes.

https://www.core4x4.com/product/adjustable-control-arms-front-set-t1-wrangler-tj-1997-2006/

Avoid the Rubicon Express. They are made in China and overpriced for what they are. For the same price you could get some Core4x4 arms with a Johnny Joint.

How much lift does your Jeep have? If it is a lower lift and you don't need adjustability in your arms then stock arms are really good and cheap.

Avoid the Rubicon Express. They are made in China and overpriced for what they are. For the same price you could get some Core4x4 arms with a Johnny Joint.

How much lift does your Jeep have? If it is a lower lift and you don't need adjustability in your arms then stock arms are really good and cheap.
Its stock, however I plan to lift it 3 inches this spring or summer. Kind of why I wanted some adjustables. Ill have to tell XT to take the made in usa off their page if thats true! the made in usa was one of the main reasons why I was going to go with them. Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: 06lj
Front uppers/lowers from Core 4x4 delivered today. Hoping to put them on tomorrow!
D8E61FBD-8C94-4BC7-A916-DC469861E39B.jpeg

Everything went pretty smoothly until the last bolt/nut (literally). Got the lowers and the front upper driver side done. I was doing the front upper passenger side last, and the nut rounded out. I’m not really sure where to from there. Couldn’t find a good spot to cut the bolt.

Something else weird about this one - it looks like whoever put on the lift used these weird flange-like things on the bolts. It looks like they catch on something and keep you from having to use a wrench on the backside. The flange on this particular bolt isn’t catching on anything, so it’s just spinning - and it’s not big enough for me to put a wrench/socket on to hold in place.

Any ideas before put the bolt back in and drive it to someone who actually knows what they’re doing?
3EDED584-4DEE-4077-8E02-5B7009596127.jpeg

B1FD4AED-C253-4A7F-92E7-4153B9039DDB.jpeg

That’s factory hardware. Maybe try turning that to a position that allows use of a vise grip to help keep it from spinning. Try clamping it in place with the little claw against the edge of the control arm.

Reactions: Alex01