Convince me NOT to go with a Warn VR8 over a M8000

Nordic

TJ Enthusiast
So I know this topic has been touched on before, but I don't really see any comparisons which list the latest model VR8 with the M8000 as far as specifications:

• Both use Albright Waterproof Contactors
  • Both use 216:1 3-Stage Planetary gearboxes
  • The VR8 has 94ft of cable, while m8 has 100ft
  • Both use series wound chinese-made motors, the M8 lists HP at 4.8 whereas the the VR8 hp isn't listed, however the line speeds are so close I'm assuming the hps are almost identical as well.
  • Both use a "Best-In-Class Load-Holding Cone Brake "
  • Both now come with a limited lifetime warranty on mechanical failure and a 7 year electrical warranty.
  • The VR8 has 4.4/5 stars on Amazon with 108 customer reviews, the M8 has 4.4/5 stars on Amazon with 157 customer reviews.
Here's a breakdown of the line speeds:
VR8:
0002591_vr8-standard-duty-winch-96800_625.png

M8:

0003848_m8-industrial-winch-26502.png

As you can see, line speed performance is practically identical, with the M8 having 1.1 more ft/min under no load. The motor current draw, however, is slightly different, with the VR8 having slightly less draw under smaller loads, while the M8 has slightly less draw on the higher loads. Pull by layer is exactly the same.

So given that both of these winches come with the same warranty, have likely almost the same motor, and both use an Albright contactor, is there really any difference between the two besides that the M8 is assembled in the US vs the VR8 in China? Is there any real reason for a weekend warrior like myself to not want to save almost $200 by going to the VR8, being that the specs are so similar? If you look at synthetic, the price difference is even more apparent, with the synthetic rope costing an additional $260! dollars on the m8 whereas it costs an additional $100 on the VR8. I know that the M8000 is the crowd favorite here, and previous versions of the VR8 did not come with the contactor or the warranty, which would have made the M8 definitely more appealing, but from what I'm seeing now there is really no clear difference.

If you are looking at the VR line look for one of the new EVO. It has been upgraded to IP68 for the gearbox as well which is a bonus over the older VRs.

The VR series are Chinese made winches, probably just a notch above in quality than the other cheap Chinese winches on the market, but with a better warranty by Warn. In other words, a nothing special winch with a decent warranty. There are posts and threads out there describing the differences in parts and materials from Warn's domestic line of winches - the conclusion of those reviews being that VR winches are adequate but nothing special and primarily an attempt by Warn to compete at a lower price point.

The M8000 is a workhorse made in the U.S., admittedly with some globally sourced parts, but gears and other hard parts are better quality than the VR series. It is a better winch than the VR8.

I considered Warn's VR series. I purchased a Warn M8000 and am using 85' of TRE winch rope and a Safety Thimble II.

TRE winch line and Safety Thimble installed.jpg

If you are looking at the VR line look for one of the new EVO. It has been upgraded to IP68 for the gearbox as well which is a bonus over the older VRs.

I did check that one out, but it scares me a bit. The combination wireless/wired remote looks convenient, the IP68 rating looks good, and apparently it draws much less Amperage from the battery than either the M8 or the VR8, but it also has a whole new gearbox and motor, and hasn't been around long enough IMO. Also Warn lists the brake type as "Spring" in comparison to "Automatic Direct Drive Cone" which is found on the M8 and VR8, so not sure how I feel about that. The line speed is apparently slightly faster, but the strength is lower with more wraps on the drum:

warn-vr-gen1-vs-gen2-vs-gen3-chart-cable-lay.max-600x600.png

The VR series are Chinese made winches, probably just a notch above in quality than the other cheap Chinese winches on the market, but with a better warranty by Warn. In other words, a nothing special winch with a decent warranty. There are posts and threads out there describing the differences in parts and materials from Warn's domestic line of winches - the conclusion of those reviews being that VR winches are adequate but nothing special and primarily an attempt by Warn to compete at a lower price point.

The M8000 is a workhorse made in the U.S., admittedly with some globally sourced parts, but gears and other hard parts are better quality than the VR series. It is a better winch than the VR8.

I considered Warn's VR series. I purchased a Warn M8000 and am using 85' of TRE winch rope and a Safety Thimble II.

View attachment 127703

But if we know that the electronics (contactor) and motor are basically the same on both, is the gears and brake that much different? Does the M8 use machined gears while the VR8 uses cast gears, or something along that line?

Does the M8 use machined gears while the VR8 uses cast gears, or something along that line?

The VR series uses gears manufactured from sintered metal. Its one of the ways Warn cuts costs to reach a price point competitive with the cheap Chinese winches marketed by Smittybilt, Harbor Freight, Quadratec, et. al.

Here's more than you ever wanted to know on the subject:

https://www.pmgsinter.com/densified_pm_gears.htm
https://www.machinedesign.com/mechanical-drives/powder-metallurgy-gears-gain-strength-and-viability
https://web.wpi.edu/Images/CMS/MPI-PMRC/b1.pdf

Don't overthink this. Buy the best winch you can afford. An M8000 is a better product than a VR8. If you can't afford a M8000 buy a VR series winch and don't look back.

Reactions: Nordic
The VR8000 is only rated for "standard" duty and it's imported from China. The M8000 is manufactured in Oregon and is rated for much heavier duty. The M8000 has been around for 30+ years and is well proven and a great choice for a Wrangler. You'd never regret going with the better M8000.

Reactions: D M and Nordic
What can you afford? If you can afford the new M8000, Warn M8 (26502) (Old version of the M8000 is 20910), then you should get that, hands down. The m8 version with a steel rope is priced in the low $600s while the VR-8 is around $400. If you can swing the extra loot for the M8 do it!

The VR-8 is on sale at this site for $367 with free shipping.

https://www.discountbandit.com/warn...cast-iron-hawse-fairlead-8-000-lbs-12v-w.html
Screenshot_20191204-191659.jpg

I bought a VR8 a year ago. So far it’s pulled out 8 shrubs in my front yard without blinking an eye. I’ve not had an instance of needing it on the trail yet. I ran the harbor freight winches for years and finally “upgraded” name tags. I got it on sale new under $400.

I’ve had both, and both were fine for what I needed. If your gung-ho about made in the USA then obviously you have one choice. The whole made in the USA gets kind of silly tho after a while. Take a look around your house and take notes of everything made in China. The VR series is a damn good winch.

Not everyone considers it "silly" to prefer buying American. I'd rather more of my $$$ go to American families than Chinese. China is a threat, not an ally, to the American people.
Jerry Jerry Jerry I should have known what I typed was going to offend you in some way. Get your panties untwisted and relax. I simply was making a point that most of the shit we Americans buy is made overseas today. That’s all. Now if you want to read more into what I said go ahead.

Jerry Jerry Jerry I should have known what I typed was going to offend you in some way. Get your panties untwisted and relax. I simply was making a point that most of the shit we Americans buy is made overseas today. That’s all. Now if you want to read more into what I said go ahead.
I'll just quote that gem for posterity. It's a good thing some of us care about helping to support American families when we have a choice.

If you're going to cheap out I'd go with a smittybuilt over a Vr8000. With that said,

don't cheap out