Cool find from moving my mother in law stuff from her old apt

Grey_Machine7.3

Acts like a mechanic
Supporting Member
IMG_20190814_105721.jpg

IMG_20190814_105744.jpg

IMG_20190814_105730.jpg

Just missing the flashlight & the multi tool. Got the saw, hatchet, and shovel. Nice little addition to my recovery/camping gear for the TJ 😃

What kinds of cool things have you found lying around the house that you added to your recovery/camping setup?

My last company we inherited a job trailer in Nebraska. Inside was a 30'x3" recovery strap. The team wanted to throw it out so I said "hell with that, Ill take it!".

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
If you haven't tried a Gerber multi tool, it's worth buying a mp600 to replace the one that's missing, they are pretty nice, probably one of gerbers best knives.It looks like a nice find.

Lately I've been having fun just improving my mess kit, finding things that nest with it in a molle water bottle pouch.I made a altoid tin spice kit.The little glass vials in the spice kit came from Joann fabrics, they hold about a tablespoon each.

I cant remember the brand name, but packs of folgers instant fit in plastic chewing gum containers pretty nicely with sugar packets.Travel size mouth wash bottles works great for liquids like coffee creme, olive oil and syrup.

20190814_162908.jpg

20190814_162934.jpg

20190814_163703.jpg

If you haven't tried a Gerber multi tool, it's worth buying a mp600 to replace the one that's missing, they are pretty nice, probably one of gerbers best knives.It looks like a nice find.

Lately I've been having fun just improving my mess kit, finding things that nest with it in a molle water bottle pouch.I made a altoid tin spice kit.The little glass vials in the spice kit came from Joann fabrics, they hold about a tablespoon each.

I cant remember the brand name, but packs of folgers instant fit in plastic chewing gum containers pretty nicely with sugar packets.Travel size mouth wash bottles works great for liquids like coffee creme, olive oil and syrup.

View attachment 109894

View attachment 109895

View attachment 109896
That's awesome! (y)

That's awesome! (y)

Thanks alot, i still need a small grate to grill on but I have nearly everything I need fitting in a single water bottle pouch now.

One of my uncles passed away this year so I've been helping my cousin clean out his dads house.Weve been finding a ton of old gear there, he even had a 14' canoe stashed away.Were taking the canoe camping in the Hoosier National Forest this fall, I bought Nat Geos map of the HNF so we can find most of the designated campsites on water sources there.

20190812_140208.jpg

20190814_232245.jpg

20190713_185858.jpg

Thanks alot, i still need a small grate to grill on but I have nearly everything I need fitting in a single water bottle pouch now.

One of my uncles passed away this year so I've been helping my cousin clean out his dads house.Weve been finding a ton of old gear there, he even had a 14' canoe stashed away.Were taking the canoe camping in the Hoosier National Forest this fall, I bought Nat Geos map of the HNF so we can find most of the designated campsites on water sources there.

View attachment 109935

View attachment 109936

View attachment 109938
Yes!!! A the yes! Love it

Reactions: OldYeller
Soft shackles are something easy to find around the house.You can make small ones with paracord to use for hanging lights, gravity filters, etc.Its a fun way to test them if your on the fence about buying good ones for vehicle recovery.These are the kind I use around camp, just don't try hanging a hammock with paracord or you'll regret it lol.

Soft shackles are something easy to find around the house.You can make small ones with paracord to use for hanging lights, gravity filters, etc.Its a fun way to test them if your on the fence about buying good ones for vehicle recovery.These are the kind I use around camp, just don't try hanging a hammock with paracord or you'll regret it lol.

Ive never had a problem with hammocks and real 550 Paracord.
Then again, I weigh about 155lbs. 🤷

Ive never had a problem with hammocks and real 550 Paracord.
Then again, I weigh about 155lbs. 🤷

I weigh 250 and I hang a backpack and sometimes water bladder off of the hammock.Even if it doesn't break I'll stretch paracord enough to end up on the ground in a night.I use Grand Trunks 14er straps, they are kind of heavy though for backpacking.

I weigh 250 and I hang a backpack and sometimes water bladder off of the hammock.Even if it doesn't break I'll stretch paracord enough to end up on the ground in a night.I use Grand Trunks 14er straps, they are kind of heavy though for backpacking.
Ah ha! Grand trunk. The better quality lower price eno. All of my hammocks are grand trunk. Actually used the "Skeeter beater" (I think that was the one, idk, it's got a built in bug net) for the two months I spent on the Appalachian trail.

Ah ha! Grand trunk. The better quality lower price eno. All of my hammocks are grand trunk. Actually used the "Skeeter beater" (I think that was the one, idk, it's got a built in bug net) for the two months I spent on the Appalachian trail.

Nice, which part of the AT did you hike?I'm still working on easy to moderate trails, at least I'm getting out there though.

I was bored last night so I messed around making a bottle cap shower head for my gravity filter and squeeze bottles.I have a Ozark Trails 5 gallon setup but I needed something I can hike with.It took me a half dozen tries, but I'm getting nearly a minute a liter out of a cap now, with a wider shower then something store bought, it's about the size of a basketball.

I drilled the holes around the edge at 60* so the water exits at a angle, then 75*, then 90* in the center.

20190819_005427.jpg

20190819_005445.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
Nice, which part of the AT did you hike?I'm still working on easy to moderate trails, at least I'm getting out there though.

I was bored last night so I messed around making a bottle cap shower head for my gravity filter and squeeze bottles.I have a Ozark Trails 5 gallon setup but I needed something I can hike with.It took me a half dozen tries, but I'm getting nearly a minute a liter out of a cap now, with a wider shower then something store bought, it's about the size of a basketball.

I drilled the holes around the edge at 60* so the water exits at a angle, then 75*, then 90* in the center.

View attachment 110686

View attachment 110687
Took a bus to Maine, and made it to luray va, right there in shanondoah. That shower looks pretty sweet. Everyone always talks about how beautiful the west is, but I've been as far as Nevada, and Maine/new Hampshire are the prettiest places I've seen to date

Took a bus to Maine, and made it to luray va, right there in shanondoah. That shower looks pretty sweet. Everyone always talks about how beautiful the west is, but I've been as far as Nevada, and Maine/new Hampshire are the prettiest places I've seen to date

I wasn't expecting Maine due to your location.Ive heard a few people say the best parts of the AT was up north though.Ive ridden up some of the mountains in Kentucky on dirtbikes but that's about the closest I've been to a view like that.

Well, living in Tennessee there was something very alluring of the idea of "walking home"
Plus south bound you run into a lot less people. Did meet a lot of cool folks, but you always get those (what I call them) 'highschool ego's' with the mentality "I'm doing this hard thing by choice, so I should get lots of free stuff and I can do whatever I want"
I was just happy to have that kind of freedom, and happy that I was physically and financially able to do it. I had all of the gear already, and mailed myself food. All in all, I spent about $800 in two months between two people, not including postage our parents helped out with that one a bunch
I wasn't expecting Maine due to your location.Ive heard a few people say the best parts of the AT was up north though.Ive ridden up some of the mountains in Kentucky on dirtbikes but that's about the closest I've been to a view like that.

Well, living in Tennessee there was something very alluring of the idea of "walking home"
Plus south bound you run into a lot less people. Did meet a lot of cool folks, but you always get those (what I call them) 'highschool ego's' with the mentality "I'm doing this hard thing by choice, so I should get lots of free stuff and I can do whatever I want"
I was just happy to have that kind of freedom, and happy that I was physically and financially able to do it. I had all of the gear already, and mailed myself food. All in all, I spent about $800 in two months between two people, not including postage our parents helped out with that one a bunch

Yeah it's a scary thought heading north with that crowd.A army veteran was killed by someone mentally ill this year.If you read about it everyone's saying you should travel armed, but you can't in half those states, my knives are illegal in places.If I ever try to hike a section I'll probably do the same as you, or during winter in southern states.

Where did you mail your food to, and how long between resupply?

Yeah it's a scary thought heading north with that crowd.A army veteran was killed by someone mentally ill this year.If you read about it everyone's saying you should travel armed, but you can't in half those states, my knives are illegal in places.If I ever try to hike a section I'll probably do the same as you, or during winter in southern states.

Where did you mail your food to, and how long between resupply?
You can mail it to whatever post office you'll be close to, and write on the package "hold for AT hiker" only had to wait on a package once, and that's because it got sent to Miami instead of Monson Maine lol. Pretty much every 4-8days we'd resupply. Depending on how far town was n stuff. I think the biggest day of hiking was 17miles to dodge a crowded shelter.
As far as being armed. People are definitely the variable for that, not wildlife. I felt more sketchy in the city, we hitch hiked into Boston for 4th of July. Worst idea ever, lol.

& The knife thing. Never had any kind of issue with any law enforcement. As long as your not an ass, all the hiker towns the cops are pretty cool, and somewhat respect what your doing as a hiker.