Cool tools

not sure many of y'all might be familiar with this bad boy, it's a mag drill.

a HD hole maker that can make holes up to 2" (with this model) . and can hang itself on any solid metal platform, no need to break your arms pushing on a drill overhead........you just have to have room to use it.
they are not cheap, nor are the bits, but i scored this 1 for 300$ a while back, and use it quite frequently at work.

there my new crossmember with 8 big holes that only took about 10m to do.

View attachment 189373

View attachment 189374

View attachment 189375

View attachment 189376
Aaawesome !!!

Open end hammer wrench
Size 11” or 280 millimeter
3C955E69-D6B4-4692-B3A4-1955C727F808.jpeg
i have yet to weigh it , 😱😂

I'm not shy when it comes to buying tools. I've also made or modified some that I have. Here are some examples.

One of my first was a parts washer. The basin floor level of most of the ones that I had used were too low and were giving me a sore back. I made one that was at the same level as my work bench and that solved the problem.

Parts Washer - 1.jpg

I made a foot operated stand for one of my spot welders. That freed up my second hand for holding the material. I also added a timer so I can adjust the weld duration. The welder is attached with 4 bolts so it's still portable.

Welder - Spot - 3.jpg

I had a plate cutter but the problem with them is that you either mount them on a bench in which case the handle is way too high or to the floor which takes up too much space. I made a mobile stand for it and added a 1,500 lb. trailer jack that I drive with an impact gun. It will cut 1/4" plate.

Shear - 1.jpg

I made stands for my stretcher and shrinker to again free up a second hand.

StretcherShrinker1.jpg

I made a 30" bed 20 ton shop press. It's good for bearings, etc. but I've also used it for shaping metal.

Drill Press - Shop Press - 1.jpg

Here are a few small things that I made.

A holder for punches and chisels. It's basically a ground rod clamp with a plastic handle, a piece of threaded rod and a wing nut.

Punch Chisel Holder 3 (800x531).jpg

A MIG torch holder out of a 45* piece EMT conduit and a magnet.

Welding MIG Torch Stand.JPG

Wire routers out of brake line and old screwdriver handles. Great for feeding wire up under dashboards for example.

Wire Threaders.jpg

A hose hooker out of an old awl.

Hose Hooker.JPG

A spark plug tester.

Tester - Spark Plug.jpg

Last edited:
Oh this is gonna be my favorite thread. One of my many tools, is an older, cast aluminum frame Bux Mag drill with a Rockwell drill motor and 3/4" Jacobs chuck. Has about 10" of quill stroke with dovetailed ways and a brass gib. Was a life saver on my welding table project, had to drill about 150 1/2" holes in 1/2" plate. Currently looking for a Milwaukee 4297-1 motor that has an internal 3mt spindle taper so I can use my big taper shank drills with it as well
IMG_20200911_160706.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: WSS and TJ Starting
Another one of my recent Craigslist finds and future restorations. It's a small (450lb) Zewo radial arm drill. Has about a 2ft arm with a 4" diameter column. Can rotate 360* slide left and right on the arm and the arm will pivot 90* in each direction to drill sideways or at any angle. All japanese made and was a high quality machine when new, hand scraped table and sliding surfaces. The table is in good shape, just need a good overhaul and it should be good as new
IMG_20210422_102052715.jpg
IMG_20210422_102225195.jpg
IMG_20210422_102201902.jpg

My bandsaw was literally a barn find. I bought it in rough shape in the mid 90’s. Added a 3/4 Hp motor about 20 years ago.

Originally built in Tupelo, Mississippi in 1953!
65272609-C89E-4D31-941E-BDC6DC3732D5.jpeg

With the correct 1/2” blade it will resaw a red oak board like a champ. (Note 1/4” boards stacked in the background of the first photo)
26CAB36A-8CB4-4E45-95A4-9B1465A854C7.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting
My bandsaw was literally a barn find. I bought it in rough shape in the mid 90’s. Added a 3/4 Hp motor about 20 years ago.

Originally built in Tupelo, Mississippi in 1953!
View attachment 256790

With the correct 1/2” blade it will resaw a red oak board like a champ. (Note 1/4” boards stacked in the background of the first photo)
View attachment 256798
Great piece of machinery, they have not changed much looks just like my Porter Cable. That work light is handy where did you find that.

Reactions: jgaz
You are correct, there are few changes. Makes it easy to get parts for an almost 70 year old machine.

The light it very handy.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...89-magnetic-mount-led-work-light?item=15J7701
The light also has a magnetic base that makes it even more versatile.
I made the small base to allow me to use it in any of the 3/4” dog holes in my woodworking bench.
7B1829C0-FEB7-4575-A5EC-DC5B16BD9080.jpeg

The older I get the more light I need

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Here are a few small things that I made.

A holder for punches and chisels. It's basically a ground rod clamp with a plastic handle, a piece of threaded rod and a wing nut.

View attachment 255408

A MIG torch holder out of a 45* piece EMT conduit and a magnet.

View attachment 255405

Wire routers out of brake line and old screwdriver handles. Great for feeding wire up under dashboards for example.

View attachment 255407

A hose hooker out of an old awl.

View attachment 255406

A spark plug tester.

View attachment 255409
All cool ideas! The punch holder would have saved lots if skin and a few less blood blisters

Another one of my recent Craigslist finds and future restorations. It's a small (450lb) Zewo radial arm drill. Has about a 2ft arm with a 4" diameter column. Can rotate 360* slide left and right on the arm and the arm will pivot 90* in each direction to drill sideways or at any angle. All japanese made and was a high quality machine when new, hand scraped table and sliding surfaces. The table is in good shape, just need a good overhaul and it should be good as new
View attachment 255698View attachment 255699View attachment 255697
Wow this is awesome!!! Would love to see it in action with a video after overhaul. Are you putting a new motor in?

Reactions: matkal
Can double as a cerakote oven too. Just sayin

It could and I might try that. I'm still finding my way with powder coating though. It's pretty straight forward and will greatly reduce the amount of things I have been painting for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: WSS