Coolant coming out of AC drain

derekmac

TJ Addict
So I've been having a slight coolant smell for the past few months, but hadn't noticed any leaks. Until now... I have coolant dripping out of the AC drain, and the coolant level is slowly dropping.

I'm not sure how the coolant is making its way out of the drain, but it is. I'm going to guess that means the heater core is gone, which doesn't sound like a fun job.

You are correct, heater core. They share the same "box" in the dash. No, not a fun job at all. I'll be doing mine this winter, not fun at all. Good luck.

Mine has been bypassed. I did it back early in the spring because it was fogging my windows to the point of not being able to see and dripping into my floorboard

I’ve been quoted $800 by a shop. I’m sure I can tackle it. There has been good write ups on it here. Also advisable to do the ac evaporator at the same time as the heater core

It’s fast approaching with winter around the corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Reactions: KCsTJ
Thankfully jeep wranglers pre JK.... are one of if not the easiest vehicles to replace the heater core. Anyone that can change a spark plug should be able to replace the heater core. Keep in mind if you change your ac evaporator you now open up a can of worms. If the ac is working good dont touch it. IE "if it aint broke don't fix it."

changing the heater core in a Tj can't be that bad compared to Audi. When my heater core went out in my Audi 2.5 years, I decided not to replace it after watching this video, lol. $20 for a new core but 20 hours of labor, no thanks. This is one of the reason's I sold the Audi for my Tj.

Its still remove and replace. You dont have to worry about setting up shims or alignment of critical parts. I would consider manafold replacement much harder. While it is much more labor intensive it is not mentally challenging.

Its still remove and replace. You dont have to worry about setting up shims or alignment of critical parts. I would consider manafold replacement much harder. While it is much more labor intensive it is not mentally challenging.
I still disagree with you making it sound like it's no more difficult than changing spark plugs. Come on, let's not mislead those who don't know any better. I know exactly what's involved in the job and it's not nearly as easy as you are trying to claim it is. A new or naive Jeeper would be misled by how you worded it. If it was as easy as you are trying to claim, shops wouldn't be quoting an average of $800 labor plus parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chasitek
So I've been having a slight coolant smell for the past few months, but hadn't noticed any leaks. Until now... I have coolant dripping out of the AC drain, and the coolant level is slowly dropping.

I'm not sure how the coolant is making its way out of the drain, but it is. I'm going to guess that means the heater core is gone, which doesn't sound like a fun job.
I'm in the same boat, will be replacing mine either this month of next. Winter is right around the corner and I need that heat!
Also not really looking forward to it, i'm just glad right now I actually have a garage to work in. There's no Mopar HC around anymore so you have to go aftermarket too...

changing the heater core in a Tj can't be that bad compared to Audi. When my heater core went out in my Audi 2.5 years, I decided not to replace it after watching this video, lol. $20 for a new core but 20 hours of labor, no thanks. This is one of the reason's I sold the Audi for my Tj.
No doubt an Audi is more difficult but you still have to remove the instrument cluster on a TJ to get to the heater core. Definitely not an easy or fast job as evidenced by the typical $800 labor cost for the job.

Last edited:
Definitely the heater core. As noted above, the A/C evaporator is usually changed at the same time due to the labor intensive nature of the job and because the A/C system must be discharged as part of the heater box disassembly anyway. There are write-ups that show how to remove the dash and gain access without having to remove the steering column. Based on my own investigation, $800 US seems to be the going labor rate for a shop to do the job. My inclination would be to let a shop do the work even though it can theoretically be done at home because the A/C system needs to be discharged, something that cannot be lawfully done by a shadetree mechanic or DIYer.

The next issue would be to identify the best new heater core for OP's '05 Rubicon (and my '06 since I need one as well). OEM heater cores have been discontinued for earlier TJ's but are still available for the '05 and '06 model years ($187.31 and $217.29 on Amazon as of 9/6/18). Other brands commonly used are Spectra Premium at $41.18 and APDI at $43.70.

Does anyone know whether Spectra Premium and APDI are quality units or have any objective evidence that the OEM heater core for the '05 and '06 model years is actually better or of higher quality? How about the length of the manufacturer's warranty for Mopar, Spectra and ADPI? I would be inclined to pay the extra $140 for OEM for peace of mind unless there really isn't any difference other than brand name because the job is expensive and enough of a hassle that I don't want to do it twice.

See:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091VA11C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049ED8R0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LGWCSW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLFKEVO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

BTW - if you have a shop do the work have the shop buy the heater core. Very few shops, if any, will warranty the labor for customer supplied parts. Many reputable shops will refuse to install customer supplied parts under any circumstances..

Last edited:
I still disagree with you making it sound like it's no more difficult than changing spark plugs. Come on, let's not mislead those who don't know any better. I know exactly what's involved in the job and it's not nearly as easy as you are trying to claim it is. A new or naive Jeeper would be misled by how you worded it.
I will agree that i might have over simplified the amount of work involved. This was not my intention. I was merely trying to say it doesn't require special tools and intense knowledge. It is a long process and requires a lot of time. But is something most every diyer can tackle if the want to put the time and effort into.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

On the don't fix what isn't broke. My AC works perfectly. If I change that, I'd have to get a shop to discharge the AC, then charge it when I'm done, correct?

I remember seeing pics of the dash just half removed and tied up, but I didn't pay close attention at the time as mine wasn't leaking. I'll have to start doing some research.

For the cores, I can get an APDI to my door from RockAuto for just over $50CAD. The Spectra ships from a different warehouse which makes it cost a bit more. They don't show any stock on the Mopar one.

My point about the Evap was once it gets moved it’s prone to leakage which is why I suggested it while the core was being replaced.

I did not however see that there was a discharge and recharge in changing the core out (or is that just in the evap)

Please enlighten me as I’m still on the fence about the job being diy or paying a shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

On the don't fix what isn't broke. My AC works perfectly. If I change that, I'd have to get a shop to discharge the AC, then charge it when I'm done, correct?

Even if you don't change the evap core you still must disconnect it to remove HVAC housing, so evac and recharge are necessary either way.

Book time is 5hrs for a "B" level tech.

I’ll be joining you on the heater core replacement journey if you decide to diy (not to hijack your thread here). I was definitely dreading it, but Yesterday after running the TJ and the AC, I returned home and after the Jeep sat for a while, I noticed more than usual liquid coming from the evap drain with a good hint of antifreeze smell. If you see my posts this summer, I had to replace the radiator and I changed the upper and lower hoses, tstat housing and tstat. Now i’ll Be changing the heater core and the associated hoses, which, I believe will essentially bring me full circle and i’ll have replaced the cooling system (except water pump). 2006 SE 4.0 auto btw.

Reactions: derekmac
For the guys who haven’t tackled the heater core/ ac evaporator. Don’t be intimidated by it. It’s really not that bad of a job like some make it out to be. Its a little time consuming, so don’t rush yourself and take a weekend to do it. Put that 800 aside for something else you want for the jeep. Also you won’t have some back shop mechanic throwing your jeep together who doesn’t care anything about it.
The steering column is easy to take out just don’t turn the wheel after you remove it and you’ll be fine. There are a lot of good write ups showing exactly what bolts to remove. Take the jeep to a shop to have the a/c discharged and have them remove the lines so you don’t have to buy the tool. Again it’s a good weekend project that most anyone with a set of tools can do. I recommend doing it yourself and get to know your jeep a little better. If you get in a bind ask questions and post pictures, plenty of people who have done it that will help you out.

Last edited:
I haven't bought the replacement heater core yet, but I do plan on doing this myself when I get it. I could never justify paying someone to do it when I know I'll have no issues (famous last words, lol). I will take it to a shop to get the AC evacuated though, but I didn't think of getting them to unhook the lines.