Coolant leak, but from where?

FireJeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2005 LJ rubicon, 6 speed (cause I know someone will ask....), I have two places where coolant is leaking onto the ground, One is front and center right under the harmonic balancer. I assume (yeah I know ass you and me) this is coming from the water pump, although I can not physically see anywhere that it is leaking from.

The other place is at the rear of the engine, slightly to the passenger side, there is some dampness on the starter but it does not appear to be dripping from that spot?....... I am really worried it is a head gasket, any other thoughts/suggestions? TIA

EJ

The coolant around the harmonic balancer is almost certainly from the water pump weep hole, which indicates your pump bearing is starting to go out. Time to replace that sucker. Coolant back by the starter is possibly being blown back from up front or leaky heater hoses up above, but the only way to know is to change that pump & dry everything off, and see what gets wet again.

Most chain parts stores will loan you a pressure tester for free with a deposit.

The rear leak may be your AC condensate (water)? You can see where it comes from on the firewall and trace it down to verify.

Reactions: hear
Most chain parts stores will loan you a pressure tester for free with a deposit.

The rear leak may be your AC condensate (water)? You can see where it comes from on the firewall and trace it down to verify.

I second this. If you don't have an extension from the condensate drain down to frame level, now is a good time to add one.

Reactions: BlueC
I was getting condensate back into the cabin each time I ran the A/C until I added the drain extension. Non sequitur to this situation of course.

Reactions: BlueC
Check to see if there is coolant coming out of the AC drain. If so, heater core. If plain water, no problem.

Yours should have the 90 deg turn down, but if it's missing you need to add one to prevent water being pushed back into the cabin when driving.

Woke up to a new leak from my ‘06 TJ 4.0L straight 6 (6 speed transmission)..

There’s a good bit of clear liquid (seemingly water) on the floor (first photo). The last couple photos are directly above the “puddle.” Any insight? @Jerry Bransford what do you think?

On an unrelated side note, my oil pan’s drain plug has a very small leak.. a quarter-sized oil spot on the garage floor with one drop of oil on the drain plug. Maybe I just need to tighten the plug or replace it? Thanks in advance!

48DEBD1F-B739-46F1-B73C-F3FD6AD06931.jpeg

64A493EB-CDCC-4E41-B2B6-7326107673B5.jpeg

D6B51CFA-7158-4D79-B6B0-0ABF3210F90B.jpeg