Coolant leaks

OzJohn

Long story as short as possible;
Was on the beach, 3k from the entry/exit and the radiator boiled, opened the hood and the top plastic had disintergrated.
I got a tow back to the exit but the last 300 meters is really soft deep sand and the tow vehicle couldn't pull me through so I topped up with water and drove out.
I replaced the radiator, thermastat, water pump top and bottom hoses.
I now have a leak, dripping on the floor after a short run but I cant see where its coming from. The coolant dripping to the floor though is cold???
Any ideas?
I'm going to take off the fan and shroud and run it to temp in the shed and look for leaks, as its cold could it be thermostat?
I've not seen anything like it.
Thanks guys, you've helped lots so far on the build.
IMG_0128 (2).JPG

Are you running the A/C during testing? The condensate generally just drips out on the ground. It would be clear water, not coolant.

Rain water can also sometimes get trapped in the cowl if the drain gets plugged, and it can slosh out during everyday driving.

Last edited:
Define floor. Floor of the Jeep would be heater core. Floor of the garage could be lots of stuff. Don't guess. Fill it up and perform a pressure test. The leak will show up.

I did this same job 2 weeks ago, I had drips for a few days. It was due to all the coolant that was sprayed while burping the radiator. By the end of day 2, there were no more drips. I was rather sloppy refilling the radiator 😂

Are you running the A/C during testing? The condensate generally just drips out on the ground. It would be clear water, not coolant.

Rain water can also sometimes get trapped in the cowl if the drain gets plugged, and it can slosh out during everyday driving.
No, its got the green coolant tinge to it. Its running from somewhere finding its way to the diff and dripping from there

Well get under the radiator shroud with a flashlight and try and get a look at the underside of the water pump behind the fan pulley, bet it's the water pump on it's way out.

Reactions: Steel City 06
+1 sounds like the weep hole may be doing it’s job. Mine went out a month ago, started dripping on the diff, rolling down trackbar. Checked every possible area before concluding it was the waterpump.

Update, it was pissing out of the thermostat housing but didn’t look to be coming from the joint! I’ve ordered a new housing and will fit that when it gets here. I replaced the water pump, that’s all good. Used the gasket and a smear of blue to hold it in place.