Coolant

Fusco

I have a dumb question, I need to add coolant. But the stuff I bought from the stealership is a different color than what's in the rig, green in rig, orange in new bottle. I've read you shouldn't mix colors?

While certainly not an expert on this subject I learned the hard way that there are type of antifreeze that will not mix with others. I found much the same dilemma with my build. Reading the packages they says for all types of engines....... Iron, aluminum, Asian, 'merican, etc, etc, etc. Rarely did I find that what I was purchasing matched what was in the cooling system (several different vehicles). So I have developed a personal approach.

Look in the owners manual and use only what it says.

No owners manual? Do what you did and asked/buy from the dealer. Then if what's there--in the system-- is not the same, flush it!
I have never had pleasant results mixing stuff regardless of what it says on the label.

Reactions: Fusco
You can't really go by the coolant color, the industry hasn't really standardized on coolant colors which are only dyes. Your 2006 came with a HOAT coolant from the factory but there's no guarantee a previous owner didn't change it to something else. A very popular HOAT coolant that many of us use is G-05 from Zerex. Zerex G-05 is kind of a golden yellowish/light green so some might call it green but I definitely wouldn't even consider just adding more green coolant without knowing if it was a HOAT or not.

That's one of the problems buying a used Jeep, you just don't know what coolant is in it. And you can't just drain the old coolant out, it has to be flushed well enough to get rid of the old unknown coolant since many coolants are totally incompatible with other coolants.

If that new orange coolant is the Mopar stuff meant for your '06, it's a HOAT. But I'd recommend having a radiator shop flush out the old coolant before adding the fresh Mopar coolant. And make darned sure you or the shop only mix it to the recommended 50:50 ratio using distilled water, don't use common tap water which has dissolved mineral content which eventually clogs radiators.

You can't really go by the coolant color, the industry hasn't really standardized on coolant colors which are only dyes. Your 2006 came with a HOAT coolant from the factory but there's no guarantee a previous owner didn't change it to something else. A very popular HOAT coolant that many of us use is G-05 from Zerex. Zerex G-05 is kind of a golden yellowish/light green so some might call it green but I definitely wouldn't even consider just adding more green coolant without knowing if it was a HOAT or not.

That's one of the problems buying a used Jeep, you just don't know what coolant is in it. And you can't just drain the old coolant out, it has to be flushed well enough to get rid of the old unknown coolant since many coolants are totally incompatible with other coolants.

If that new orange coolant is the Mopar stuff meant for your '06, it's a HOAT. But I'd recommend having a radiator shop flush out the old coolant before adding the fresh Mopar coolant. And make darned sure you or the shop only mix it to the recommended 50:50 ratio using distilled water, don't use common tap water which has dissolved mineral content which eventually clogs radiators.

Yeah I have 2 gallons of distilled water. Do you know of a link for a DIY, may do it myself to ensure it gets done correctly.

I don't really know of a DIY that is perfect on all the advice... one that is pretty good is this one: How to flush the cooling system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Keep in mind that disposing of used coolant is a real problem so personally, I just take it to a shop now since they can dispose of it in a way that won't have my neighbors burning my house down.

While you're at it, I'd also replace the thermostat. A very good choice would be a 195 degree Stant SuperStat, most better quality auto parts stores (no, that doesn't include Autozone) carry them. Don't be tempted to install a "fail-safe" thermostat, they just cause problems since they are very prone to hanging up/getting stuck in the open position.

Finally, the TJ's cooling system is self-burping so there's no need to go to extra effort to burp the air out, just make sure to check it several times after completing the fill process to make sure it stays full as the air escapes out.

I don't really know of a DIY that is perfect on all the advice... one that is pretty good is at http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/home-coolant-flush-report-122827.html

Keep in mind that disposing of used coolant is a real problem so personally, I just take it to a shop now since they can dispose of it in a way that won't have my neighbors burning my house down.

While you're at it, I'd also replace the thermostat. A very good choice would be a 195 degree Stant SuperStat, most better quality auto parts stores (no, that doesn't include Autozone) carry them. Don't be tempted to install a "fail-safe" thermostat, they just cause problems since they are very prone to hanging up/getting stuck in the open position.

Finally, the TJ's cooling system is self-burping so there's no need to go to extra effort to burp the air out, just make sure to check it several times after completing the fill process to make sure it stays full as the air escapes out.

Do you use a local shop or dealer to perform?

I wanted to know what the recommended coolant was for my 2006 LJ. I don't remember if it was the owners manual or the factory service manual that said to use coolant that met spec MS9769.

From what I was able to find working with my favorite Jeep dealer parts man, the MS 9769G spec fluid replaces the MS 9769 fluids. The 9769 was PN: 68048953AA, and the "G" carries the same PN, except for the change letters at the end of AB.

The parts book indicates that the "G" fluid is compatible with the non-G PN fluids.

NOTE: that this is a CONCENTRATED (non-diluted) coolant and should be cut 50/50 with distilled water.

I hope this helps

Reactions: Fusco and Chris
As mentioned above in post #5, your '06 came filled with a HOAT coolant. Zerex G-05 is a very good high quality HOAT coolant that would be a great choice Better quality auto parts stores like NAPA carry Zerex G-05, low-end stores like AutoZone don't always.

Reactions: Fusco
I have some inquiries regarding the UK49s Lottery. In this thread, I am addressing these inquiries. The following questions are listed:

1. What is the UK49s lottery?
2. How do I play the UK49s lottery?
3. When and where does the UK49s draw take place?
4. What are the different betting options in the UK49s lottery?
5. What are the prize divisions in the UK49s lunchtime results lottery?
6. How are the UK49s lottery numbers drawn?
7. Can I play the UK49s lottery online?
8. What are the odds of winning the UK49s lottery?

Tell me below if you know anything about the UK49s Lottery. I'm totally perplexed.

TROLL!!!

I posted his/her picture on the internet. (y)
troll (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC) (2).jpg

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper