Coolent leak

Ross baiey

I have a coolent leak in my 1997 tj se and I thought it was coming from my lower radiator pipe but it seams to be coming from somewhere els. I need some help!

in the video i tried to get a good angle but it was difficult to show you where the problem is. any help would be much appreciated!

That sure looks like it's coming from the water pump. Any unusual noises? The water pump will start leaking from its weep hole when it's on its last legs.

That sure looks like it's coming from the water pump. Any unusual noises? The water pump will start leaking from its weep hole when it's on its last legs.
Thanks! The jeep will make a loud high pitched noise for about 20 seconds and then it goes away. The Coolent leaks slow some times and fast sometimes it's not a steady leak. I think you are right I looks to me that it's the water pump.

One last comment Ross, I would avoid installing any of the cheap water pumps from stores like AutoZone. Even with their "lifetime warranty", their quality is poor and if you plan to keep your Jeep a long time, they're not worth installing as they tend to fail prematurely. It's too much of a PITA to keep installing them even if replacements are free.

The basic Mopar p/n for the water pump is 4626054, don't forget the gasket though it should come with the water pump. I'd go with a Mopar like you can get at a discount from sites like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049EQ4JO/?tag=wranglerorg-20 or www.wermopar.com.

And if you install it yourself, make sure you are diligent in getting the gasket seating surface on the block surgically clean, use a small wire brush on it to get every iota of the old gasket off. If that surface is not 100% clean, it'll leak and you'll have to do the entire job again.

Reactions: Reign Mack
I'd inspect everything while you are in there. I thought my brand new pump was leaking, turned out to be a pin hole in a heater hose and was just running down. Didn't know for sure until I had it pressure tested.

While your at it order the heater hose tube that threads into the water pump, good time to replace that also.

Bad thing is if you replace one, might as well replace them both.

I actually meant the heater hose tube that connects to the hose as they tend to corrode and somtimes will not survive being transferred to a new pump.

10098963_rnb_56398_pri_thmb.jpg