Coolest toy you had as a kid

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
there were so many, but I don't know that any of them defined the late 60's/early 70's like the original Rock'em Sock'em Robots. I've got a fairly well maintained vintage set (& another one for parts :p)

009.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG

check out the steel arm the head (or 'block') is attached to. This is an incredibly well made toy, we would beat the shit out of it endlessly & it held up. I googled it & see that they make a new version of it & they sell for $15 or $20, can't imagine it's anything but a complete piece of crap

013.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: mots and Kiwi TJ
Honestly, it was my Power Wheel Jeep. According to my mom (and I remember this), I drove that thing everywhere, non-stop!

I loved the Rock'em Sock'em robots as well, another favorite for me was the Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle. I crashed that thing into every solid object around my house, and unlike the real Evel it never broke.
View attachment 63862

I loved that thing, wound it up as fast as possible & aimed it at my brother every chance I got.

I had a battery powered Lost in Space Robot too that was really cool, really wish I still had that.

But I do still have my original Tonka Dump Truck, talk about indestructible, the steel in this is probably better than my car:

IMG_2773[1].JPG

This was back in the 60's & 70's. I don't remember getting a lot of toys but, put together a fair number of model cars & trucks and Jeeps & air planes.
My Dad always tinkered with the vehicles he had and I helped get in the way. Until he gave me some parts to clean or paint.
And now that I've had a few Land Cruisers and this Jeep, I still tinker, clean parts and paint. And still take apart broken home appliances to fix.

Probably this thing. I was an 80's kid and I loved ninja turtles. It's kinda neat that the series has survived long enough to still be popular with kids now, but I still think the 80's cartoon and comic style was the best.
1542480216873.png
1542480194234.png

Also, I remember when I got my first video game system, which was the original NES. It came with Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. My mom was a beast at Mario Bros and my dad was an expert at Duck Hunt. At least that's how it seemed when I was a little kid that sucked at both games, haha.

1542480341859.png

Honestly, it was my Power Wheel Jeep. According to my mom (and I remember this), I drove that thing everywhere, non-stop!

Based on this whole thread so far someone is the youngest. And it's definitely not me. Heck I was probably 10 yrs old before I saw the Green Machine, and I still wish I had one back then.

Reactions: Neil Sears
Based on this whole thread so far someone is the youngest. And it's definitely not me. Heck I was probably 10 yrs old before I saw the Green Machine, and I still wish I had one back then.

Haha! I'm 35 actually. Probably not the youngest on this site, but maybe the youngest in this thread!

Coolest toy as a kid was either a roll of lead solder or the mercury finger paint, I can’t remember,lol. Seriously, I think My Daisy bb gun was pretty cool and we spent a lot of time together. My mom regretted my dad getting me that thing and she never stopped complaining about picking up stray bb’s in the vacuum even 20 years after the gun was gone they’d still show up here and there.

yeah it was great when we had about 6 of us 10-15 year olds shooting our crossman bb guns, bb pistols all shooting at once at cans from the sliding door in the den. Parents would be arrested for allowing that now. we always made fun of the daisy rifle because it could not shoot through a can. the Crossman at 10 pumps had the power of a .22

yeah it was great when we had about 6 of us 10-15 year olds shooting our crossman bb guns, bb pistols all shooting at once at cans from the sliding door in the den. Parents would be arrested for allowing that now. we always made fun of the daisy rifle because it could not shoot through a can. the Crossman at 10 pumps had the power of a .22

We had the CO2! Grandpa had “tuned them up”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1515art
Fun times, I was only 6 when I got the Daisy, I’d go off sometimes with one of my friends for the whole day hiking through the fields, those same hunting grounds now are covered in 10 million dollar homes. We shot sheridan pellet guns and then 22’s with cb shorts out there as well, no one paid any attention to a couple of kids packing rifles back in the late 50’s and early 60’s and this was the California San Francisco South Bay Area, was a different state back then.