Coolest toy you had as a kid

images.jpeg

A Mattel Big Wheel when I was little then a Schwinn Cotton Picker like this except mine had a tall sissy bar on the rear.
s-l640.jpg

While this isn't my actual bike, I have a twin. 2005 Schwinn Spoiler. It's a 7.5' long bike. One of 1000 made, and only sold at the Schwinn dealers. I paid $650 for it new, and it has only about one mile on it. It qualifies for this thread, as it still brings out the kid in me...
1542599501872.png

I had the Evel Knievel toy bike too...Id jump that thing over anything including the stairs inside our house in England.
I progressed to the Raliegh Grifter at the age of 14 (as my parents knew if I had a BMX if I'd be doing the some stupid things on it )...well I showed them I can be stupid on anything and jumped 10 kids at the local park, off a very dodgy looking homemade ramp. haha
Yes I bent the front forks and was grounded for weeks...but I did clear the kids haha
1542601524485.png

Reactions: BryanB and Squatch
I remember the Evel Knievel stunt cycles. The cousin had one. Cool toy, for sure! He and I were heavy into HO scale slot cars, and use to set up a "drag strip" down my aunt's long hallway. The Tyco cars were the fastest ones, as I recall.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Nostalgia. This thread may go on for awhile. Couple more favorites for me from the late 70's. Mattel Electronic Football, Football 2 and Baseball. I still have these games.
View attachment 63871
View attachment 63872
View attachment 63877

I still have the football game; the one in the first pic. By still have, I mean I won a retro one a couple of years ago in a white elephant party, but it is exactly the same one just newer. I remember getting the original from the bargain basement at Sears when I was a kid.

I didn't grow up with much money, but It is hard to say what was my favorite, but I might be able to narrow it down to 3 things

1 Erector set. In case you don't know it is a mechanical robot type kit. It had nuts and bolts, and metal and wheels and string. It was really a set of parts to build whatever you can with it.

2 Hot Wheels. I had a huge collection of Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. Of which, I would build garages out of my erector set haha

3 My bike. Man I was free on my bike. I would ride from sun up, to sun down everyday. It was my freedom for sure! I guess it was probably my favorite. It was a Huffy frame, but down the street was a Schwin bike shop, and for years anytime I would get money, I would go down and by parts to fix up my Huffy. It was the heaviest most awesome BMX bike around haha. (Remember anodized goose neck stems, and Tuff Wheels?)

I still have the football game; the one in the first pic. By still have, I mean I won a retro one a couple of years ago in a white elephant party, but it is exactly the same one just newer. I remember getting the original from the bargain basement at Sears when I was a kid.

I didn't grow up with much money, but It is hard to say what was my favorite, but I might be able to narrow it down to 3 things

1 Erector set. In case you don't know it is a mechanical robot type kit. It had nuts and bolts, and metal and wheels and string. It was really a set of parts to build whatever you can with it.

2 Hot Wheels. I had a huge collection of Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. Of which, I would build garages out of my erector set haha

3 My bike. Man I was free on my bike. I would ride from sun up, to sun down everyday. It was my freedom for sure! I guess it was probably my favorite. It was a Huffy frame, but down the street was a Schwin bike shop, and for years anytime I would get money, I would go down and by parts to fix up my Huffy. It was the heaviest most awesome BMX bike around haha. (Remember anodized goose neck stems, and Tuff Wheels?)

haha I remember the Huffy ...I had Tuff 2 wheels on mine
1542604489189.png

I swear, we're related...

So, do you ever purchase as an adult what you wanted (or had) as a child? I ended up with over 600 Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and Johnny Lightning cars. I also had 34 bicycles. I've since brought it down to around 300 cars and 23 bikes, because, you know...I'm all grown up. ;)

I have a couple of bikes now. I have a medium size Gary Fisher Mountain bike and a Fat Tire sikk Beach Cruiser, because I still like to get out and ride, although I do wish I had more time for riding. Most of my bikes now have motors now though.

I do have some Hot Wheels, but mostly now I have some that I collect like Jeeps, and trucks. I do have a lot of die cast motorcycles now.

Reactions: 1515art and Squatch
I think mine were black. Do you remember how heavy they were, but how sweet they were because they never had to be trued up?
Everything on my Grifter was heavy, so when I got my own money from a paper round I bought a used Huffy it seemed really light haha...a richer mate of mine was given a diamond back for Christmas it was then I realised how heavy it was haha....but it survived anything I put it through though.
your right about the wheels they never got bent out of shape...I remember a myth about them saying if they got buckled put them on the freezer and they will pull back..haha

Reactions: Squatch and ac_
Like you, I got used to my Huffy with the Tuff Wheels, and I built it myself. My friends dad built my friend a Powerlight from the frame up. He painted it pearl white. That thing shined, and it was so light. I was alway so jealous, but I could put my Huffy through anything he could with his Powerlight, but I sure wanted that bike!

Reactions: Squatch and Kiwi TJ
I have a couple of bikes now. I have a medium size Gary Fisher Mountain bike and a Fat Tire sikk Beach Cruiser, because I still like to get out and ride, although I do wish I had more time for riding. Most of my bikes now have motors now though.

I do have some Hot Wheels, but mostly now I have some that I collect like Jeeps, and trucks. I do have a lot of die cast motorcycles now.
Gary fisher are great bikes, had one years ago it was a yellow and red Cronus. I was driving home from work one morning and a lady rear ended my car with my bike hanging off the back, she replaced my Gary fisher with a Merlin xlm all xtr, Chris king head set, with a judy front shock, and mavic cross max wheels, gram shavers dream.

Reactions: ac_ and Kiwi TJ
Right here - the Gerry Lopez "Lightening Bolt" surfboard.

I grew up surfing all of So Cal (70s and 80s), and then surfed the East coast in the 90s and 00's. I've had an endless "quiver" (line-up of boards) over the decades, but the nearest-n-dearest to my heart was the "Lightening Bolt," circa 1975.

Having surfed roughly 60 major storms in that time span (i.e., most typically "Cean-Up Day" - the day after a hurricane passes through), I have been pounded off the ocean floor, and "rag-dolled" (cartwheeled down the face of the wave) on dozens of occasions. It is why now, in 2018, I have to wheel rather gingerly in the TJ, as my spine has incurred more damage than most incur in 10 lifetimes.

1542642844171.png