Coolest toy you had as a kid

View attachment 64116
A Mattel Big Wheel when I was little then a Schwinn Cotton Picker like this except mine had a tall sissy bar on the rear.
View attachment 64115
Rode lots of miles on my Stingray. I had the green "Pea Picker" but my parents didn't spring for the fancy 3 or 5 speed whichever it would have been. That big fat slick tire on the back sure left an impressive skid mark on the sidewalk.

1542654571299.png

What were they..."Pea Picker", "Cotton Picker" (probably politically incorrect, these days...), "Lemon Peeler", "Orange Crate", and "Cherry Picker", right? Can't remember any more. Remember the Raleigh "Chopper", or the Sears "Screamer"? I had one of the latter, and recently sold it to a guy at a bike shop who just had to have it.
1542658241532.png

What were they..."Pea Picker", "Cotton Picker" (probably politically incorrect, these days...), "Lemon Peeler", "Orange Crate", and "Cherry Picker", right? Can't remember any more. Remember the Raleigh "Chopper", or the Sears "Screamer"? I had one of the latter, and recently sold it to a guy at a bike shop who just had to have it.
View attachment 64168
wow all that's missing is the playing card taped to the frame and sticking into the spokes......ahhhh good times !!!

Reactions: Squatch and ac_
Rode lots of miles on my Stingray. I had the green "Pea Picker" but my parents didn't spring for the fancy 3 or 5 speed whichever it would have been. That big fat slick tire on the back sure left an impressive skid mark on the sidewalk.

View attachment 64164

man those were the mack daddy bikes back in the day, my one buddy had a 'stock' Stingray & my other buddy had the one with the 'stik-shift'.

Me? I had the poor-man's stingray, the Schwinn Typhoon (20 inch) which as far as I recall was a Stingray frame but sans banana seat & butterfly handlebars. I boreassed my old man relentlessly until he modified mine with those far cooler parts. Found this website which breaks down all the options, I never realized the Typhoon came in so many sizes; I've still got mine up in the attic, no seat or tires but the rest is intact

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/typhoon/

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/stingray/

man those were the mack daddy bikes back in the day, my one buddy had a 'stock' Stingray & my other buddy had the one with the 'stik-shift'.

Me? I had the poor-man's stingray, the Schwinn Typhoon (20 inch) which as far as I recall was a Stingray frame but sans banana seat & butterfly handlebars. I boreassed my old man relentlessly until he modified mine with those far cooler parts. Found this website which breaks down all the options, I never realized the Typhoon came in so many sizes; I've still got mine up in the attic, no seat or tires but the rest is intact

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/typhoon/

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/stingray/
I have a 1962 Typhoon 26" that has been modified a bit. It runs a 5-speed hub, and the heavier gauge spokes from a tandem bike. It also has front and rear drum brakes (my favorite part!) from a couple of tandem bikes. I bought it off a guy who built it for himself when he worked at the Schwinn factory in Chicago. It's my favorite bike, for sure.

Also, I remember when I got my first video game system, which was the original NES. It came with Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. My mom was a beast at Mario Bros and my dad was an expert at Duck Hunt. At least that's how it seemed when I was a little kid that sucked at both games, haha.

View attachment 63887

I remember when my cool cousin came in to visit from California over Christmas and taught me that you could control the ducks with the controller. We spent a week snowed in playing NES.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
my first video game around 1972 was the magnavox odyssey, had some basic games stored in the console and screen overlays that you put on the TV with the static electricity holding it on. Cost was US$99 (equivalent to about $579 in 2017)
Odyssey1.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
my first video game around 1972 was the magnavox odyssey, had some basic games stored in the console and screen overlays that you put on the TV with the static electricity holding it on. Cost was US$99 (equivalent to about $579 in 2017)
View attachment 64388
That's cool! Never even heard of it, though. Bet that would make the kids these days laugh...or cringe! :)

Access to a lot of Dynamite...we blew up a lot of beaver dams that were flooding lots of roads and highways in northern Wisconsin.

Here's a picture of me and my sister in 1969, I was 3 yrs. old. My sister is holding what was my favorite toy, it's a Tonka Jeep tow truck with a snowplow on the front.
20181127_163337_resized.jpg

I never got rid of it. I found it in an old box a few years ago that I forgot I even had. It was pretty banged up and rusty. I gave it a frame up resto and brought it back with a modern paint scheme. The snowplow attachment is long gone, as well as the tow boom, but I still have the tow hook and crank. That tow truck pulled many stranded Tonka trucks out of the ditch behind my house.

20181127_162419_resized.jpg

20181127_162139_resized.jpg

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.