Cooling

JBell

I noticed that while creeping through the woods that my temp gauge sits at just above half. Is there any way to bring the temp down . Is the temp ok or is there another issue I need to address. The.bus for the input.

That's normal. Mine also sits slightly above the half way mark on the gauge as well.

Yup, normal. Mine sits just under 210° F. Winter, summer, cruising the highway or pulling a hill in the backwoods, sits right there at 210°.

I'll add one more comment... don't let anyone talk you into installing a lower temperature thermostat if you still think you'd like the temperature to be lower than what is considered normal. Modern engines and their smog systems run cleaner/more efficient and their smog systems only work properly at the higher temps like 210 that are normal now. Installing a lower-temp thermostat could cause the engine to run too rich and the smog system to struggle.

I'll add one more comment... don't let anyone talk you into installing a lower temperature thermostat if you still think you'd like the temperature to be lower than what is considered normal. Modern engines and their smog systems run cleaner/more efficient and their smog systems only work properly at the higher temps like 210 that are normal now. Installing a lower-temp thermostat could cause the engine to run too rich and the smog system to struggle.

X100 to this.

Probably some of the best advice you'll ever get.

So many people these days (especially on Internet forums) have this notion that low temp thermostats and making your vehicle run 'cooler' are somehow better for your engine and deliver more performance. This is in fact completely untrue.

Everything Jerry said is dead on. It just bothers me so much when I see people on Internet forums say, "get a low temp thermostat".

Reactions: StG58
It's basic thermodynamics, actually. If our public school system didn't outright suck bilge water, those ideas would get laughed off the internet.

Ok. Thanks for all the help. I saw where someone said they installed a high performance electric fan cause they don't want it to overheat. Just wondering if that's something I should spend money on. It doesn't seem so.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Florida gets hot but not as hot as my local SOCAL deserts where pretty much all of us run nothing but well maintained stock cooling systems. The Jeeps pulled over to the side that have overheated are usually running some aftermarket radiator with an electric fan that just can't keep up with the heat.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBell
Good to know. I think I will leave it as is for now. It runs and drives great so like they say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Good idea! And if you're that worried, the absolute best thing you can do for your cooling system is a complete refresh including a flush with new coolant, a brand new OE Mopar radiator, new OE water pump, thermostat, etc. Basically just refresh it with all new OE parts and you'll have a bulletproof cooling system for a long time to come.

Reactions: JBell