Coooooooold in Texas

InOmaha

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
How are you southerners holding up down there. Monday sounds cold in the single digits.

You won't get to much sympathy here since we won't get above 0.

Looks like they’re expecting some more precipitation in the Dallas-Fort Worth area as well. Freezing rain/ snow

Reactions: InOmaha
We have power plants down there and let's just say its interesting. The wind turbines have screwed their market. They don't work in freezing rain but nobody knows if they will be running or producing next week if the wind dies down.

Power and natural gas markets are beyond nuts right now. 100 times more expensive for both.

If the wind shuts down, even that will be cheap. People heat with electricity down there. But the pressure has been to retire coal and fill in with natural gas. So they are ramping up to summer loads in winter while competing with home heating up north. And then still coming up short as the wind turbines turn off due to icing.

Reactions: Blondie70
How are you southerners holding up down there. Monday sounds cold in the single digits.

High in the 20s in San Antonio on Monday with 72% chance of precipitation. That will make it fun. Not.

I hope we don’t see any more accidents like they had in Ft. Worth yesterday. That was tragic.

High in the 20s in San Antonio on Monday with 72% chance of precipitation. That will make it fun. Not.

I hope we don’t see any more accidents like they had in Ft. Worth yesterday. That was tragic.
Seriously, 100+ cars piled up. What a shame

Reactions: Fixer6

They don't like it, trust me. We are freezing our asses off in Southern Missouri too. 14-17" of snow next week. Flying out of here tomorrow with a quick stop at DFW to escape the weather in exchange for a beach. I want to move someplace that winter does not exist. Its nice the have the seasons when its mild change, but this is not ok.

It's colder than a fart in a dead Eskimo
It's colder than a brass toilet seat on the shady side of an iceberg
It's colder than a penguin's pecker
It's colder than a grave digger's shovel
It's so cold the dogs are sticking to the fire hydrants
It is cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey
It is so cold Bill Clinton is sleeping with his own wife

It's colder than a fart in a dead Eskimo
It's colder than a brass toilet seat on the shady side of an iceberg
It's colder than a penguin's pecker
It's colder than a grave digger's shovel
It's so cold the dogs are sticking to the fire hydrants
It is cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey
It is so cold Bill Clinton is sleeping with his own wife
I believe all of them except that last one. Where are the fact checkers when you need ‘em.

We get below zero highs and 4 inches of snow.

I've turned down the heat so we don't use to much narural gas. Electricity will be cheap here but gas flows to the south and the price will go up here. I'm using electric heaters in rooms to be comfortable.

Down south you should use firewood if you have it.

• Wow
Reactions: Tob and Blondie70
I was 0 F when I went home from work. Its -2 F now. But winds are picking up. So when I cleaned an area off for the dogs on the back yard, my nose hairs froze together.

Nothing too terrible if you get busy and stay out of the wind. It should get to -35 F wind chills soon.

Reactions: Blondie70
Yep. This is bullshit. I live in Phoenix where the weather is perfect and it’s in the 70s this week. Unfortunately I’ve been working in Dallas for the last few weeks and won’t be home for another couple. I’m not used to this. It never got over freezing today. The ice yesterday was crazy. It covered everything and made driving to work fun. There’s supposed to be another round of it starting Sunday.

If it gets cold here (30 or 40 degrees), we just throw another log on the fire. My cat seems to like it.

IMG_20201129_142218318.jpg

Cold is relative. I put on my coat and boots to clean snow off the back patio for the dogs today. Rather than slipping on my sandals.

Didn't bother with pants or gloves. It is only -4 and the wind won't pick up until later. If you are working its not worth bundling up too much. You'll just get hot.