Coooooooold in Texas

Gday All from Dawson Creek, MILE ZERO ALASKA HIGHWAY
It wasn’t a big deal this morning balancing the extension cord for the block heater 😉
(Minus 33 Celsius / minus 27 Fahrenheit )

~•|||||•~👋🏿
A30E627A-1D11-4AEA-B822-7249E8CC4B88.jpeg
B03DC4FD-9DD1-4667-99C2-EB8C8B03BB2D.png

It wasn’t a big deal this morning balancing the extension cord for the block heater 😉

~•|||||•~👋🏿 View attachment 226003View attachment 226004
Looks more like an erection cord!:ROFLMAO:

I remember those kind of days from when I lived in Alaska! You're dressed like Texans dress for 60 degree weather!

~•|||||•~👋🏿 View attachment 226003View attachment 226004
I’m not nearly tough enough to live in Alaska but my moms been in Wasilla for 25 years. You guys are a special breed.

I lost power today for about 2 hours, just went out in my RV and cranked on the generator, furnace, space heater, satellite dish, and spent time camping in the front yard until the house got power back. Went from 68 to 52 inside the house during the outage (though I admit I kept going back into the house, opening the door way too many times).

But I have prepared and our family is playing monopoly right now. Cooked pork chops, had a hot shower, not unhappy. Most of the the neighbors are stressed and freaking out as power is supposed to be on this Monday.

Yep. We had severe ice storms and this state doesn’t prepare for that. We lost a bunch of trees and power lines.
You have generator for your house? Since we were loosing power often down here with the fires, a year and a half ago I had an electrician wire in a box so I can run the house with a generator when we loose power. Works great! And we have a wood stove for heat.

Sat in line for almost a hour and a half to get propane bottles refilled today. Currently 33°, raining, and blowing like snot here. This area definitely isn't prepared for any kind of ice or snow so we'll see.

You have generator for your house? Since we were loosing power often down here with the fires, a year and a half ago I had an electrician wire in a box so I can run the house with a generator when we loose power. Works great! And we have a wood stove for heat.

No. We have the basics.

My next home will have have a 20kw generator and provisions for this. We prepare for the worst.

I charged up the battery jumper. It will charge cell phones too.

Our powerlines are under ground and no ice here. The power has been out intermittently around 2 hours totalled up in around 20 years.

It helps when the guys on both sides of me work in substation and line work at the utility. They can track the path to fix so their power goes on and schedule the crews to get power back. I can go along for the ride.

Reactions: Blondie70
The secret is to layer up. Under shirt, shirt, sweater, coat. Keep your core warm and it will keep your hands and feet warmer.

The body pulls heat from extremities to keep your upper body warm. Warm it up enough and it will cool off by sending heat outward.

Thats why drinking warm fluids will warm up the hands and feet.

If in doubt wear another shirt. Two pairs of socks or gloves help if you don't have good boots or gloves.

A hat is a given. And below zero cover your ears if they are big like mine.

Last edited: