Cooper Discoverer AT3 vs Snow

AustinJeepTJ

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Lifetime Supporting Member
I am running Cooper Discoverer AT3's. So far, on the road, forrest roads, out at Reiter Foothills, Walker Valley ORV and Tahuya, they have been great tires. Granted, I have not attempted any mud deeper than about 6inches (that I can tell) or rocks that look like they may reach the rockers. I generally fly solo and don't take too many risks, TBH.

This morning, we went to find some snow out at Reiter Foothills here in Washington. On the main trail road, there was about 10 - 12 inches. This is my first time in the snow with these tires. Initially, I was not impressed. The jeep was very squirrelly.

I get it. Where the rubber meets the road is only part of system. After 20 minutes, or so, I was able to manage a straightish path on the primary roads, moving through 4hi and 4lo, just trying to get a feel for it. After about an hour, we were back to running the lighter trails and making good progress. By this point, I was hoping to get in a position to use the winch where I didn't set myself up. Down side is, I was the only one out at the park. (Which was kinda strange because when I fueled up at Gold Bar, WA, there were a variety of 4x4s on trailers heading the same direction but never showed up at Reiter. I wonder where they all went...)

I think this is a good tire, but they do not eject the snow that gets packed between the treads well. I run Toyo A/T Open Country on my KJ and they spit snow like crazy. Bottom line is, I am on the fence now regarding these Cooper Discoverer AT3s.

Do we have a (opinion driven) rating system for tires on this forum? I'd like to submit for this tire if one exists. Something like:

Scale 1-10
Highway comfort: 8
Road noise: 5
Forrest Road: 9
Trail: 9
Rocks: 4
Snow: 1
Mud: 2
Etc...

Overall: 38/70
Reccomend for daily use, light offroad.

I'm just spitballing.

I may head out a few fire service roads and find some deeper snow next week. Although Reiter should see another foot later this week. So that should be cool.

I haven't run the Discoverers on a Jeep, but did on a 4x4 Chevy Avalanche. It got around great. I mostly used them in the snow, deep sand & towing into trail heads/dirt roads. The problem I had was I didn't get many miles out of them..... not quite 30k.

Reactions: Cornbread
I haven't run the Discoverers on a Jeep, but did on a 4x4 Chevy Avalanche. It got around great. I mostly used them in the snow, deep sand & towing into trail heads/dirt roads. The problem I had was I didn't get many miles out of them..... not quite 30k.

We are in the middle of snowmageddon here in the Pacific Northwest. I had to drive into Seattle from my house. I had 5ish inches at home and didn't have any issues in 2wd. It might just be a matter of getting used to them. 🤷‍♂️

We are in the middle of snowmageddon here in the Pacific Northwest. I had to drive into Seattle from my house. I had 5ish inches at home and didn't have any issues in 2wd. It might just be a matter of getting used to them. 🤷‍♂️
Yea, I'm in Spokane & have snow too. I have BFG AT/TA KM2s on the Jeep. And KO2s on the Avalanche. Both get around great. And I have gotten 50k+ miles on the heavier truck. We'll see if they ever wear out on the Jeep

Reactions: AustinJeepTJ
I had them on my Z71 and they were phenomenal in the snow. I will say tire size and dimensions matter. The 35's cleaned out really nice from mud and snow, better that MT's.

I recently finished a 4,200 mile round trip to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico in a 2005 Nissan Xterra equipped with new LT265/75R16-C Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires. The route included bad asphalt highways, washboarded dirt roads, rocks, mud, sand, rainy conditions and even some snow on the final leg home. Street pressure was 35 psi. Typical dirt road pressure was 16 psi; trails were usually 12 psi; beaches were at 10 psi.

No flats; no tread or sidewall damage; no issues.

I have zero complaints about these tires.

Mr. Bills in Los Cabos.jpg

Approach to Bahia Agua Verde.jpg

I recently finished a 4,200 mile round trip to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico in a 2005 Nissan Xterra equipped with new LT265/75R16-C Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires. The route included bad asphalt highways, washboarded dirt roads, rocks, mud, sand, rainy conditions and even some snow on the final leg home. Street pressure was 35 psi. Typical dirt road pressure was 16 psi; trails were usually 12 psi; beaches were at 10 psi.

No flats; no tread or sidewall damage; no issues.

I have zero complaints about these tires.

View attachment 134699
View attachment 134700

Looks like a great trip .. if you post a trip report (and photos) I would love to read it.