Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx vs ST Pro

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Who has is familiar with the ST Maxx compared to the ST Pro? Or Duratrac vs ST Pro? How noisy is the ST Pro?

I'm thinking about my next set of tires. I had Duratracs before and Maxx currently. Both are quiet and I prefer that.

I have the STT Pro but can only compare to GY MTR w Kevlar. They’re about the same. A very slight hum. Doesn’t bother me at all

Reactions: jjvw
Im running 35" STT pro's. Like @JMT said they have a slight hum, but it's very tolerable. Im sure that the Dtracs and Maxx's are quieter than the STT Pro's being an A/T tire.
Nice build. Nothing but the best on your rig!

@jjvw check out these tires also https://www.milestartires.com/light-truck-tires/patagonia-mt/

I've read a lot of good things about these tires. They're supposedly pretty quiet and priced competitively. I'm considering these for my next set.
I saw those. I wish they looked different, less designed and less squiggly. It's silly, I know...

They also remind me of a popular Falken tire from a few years ago that would quickly wear down into a slick because of how the tread was molded.

I have 33x12.5 stt pros. I have not heard the tires at all. But i don't run with a top on and the wind kill all the noise. Also rivet guns and loud machines and working on a flight line have hurt the ears.

The STT Pro will be louder than the ST/Maxx due to tread pattern, but not objectionably so when newer.

As with all open void tires, the "singing" will get louder as the tires wear (even the ST/Maxx tires on my "overlanding" 4x4 have become louder as they approach 35,000 miles). One way to keep the volume down is to conscientiously rotate them at 3,500-4,000 mile intervals. Don't ask me why that works, but it does.

I can still remember the sound of the mud terrain tires on my dad's '49 Willys Wagon when I was a kid. The "singing" from the tires alerted us that he was nearly home and that we had seconds to become invisible if we had done something wrong during the day. Oddly, after all these decades I have come to miss that sound.

Reactions: JMT and jjvw
I ran the first gen STT's. They were loud as heck about half way thru. Maybe the Pros are better. My buddy runs the Maxx's on his TJ and loves them. I think he had MTR's on prior, so I guess just about anything would be quieter, lol!

I wonder how much rubberized asphalt has to play with the noise of the tires. We have rubberized asphalt in Phoenix and I never hear my tires

The Maxx's have been good. The only issue is that I tore a side wall this spring. Which is funny to me because they apparently have a reenforced sidewall. I treated my Duratracs the same and never had a problem despite everyone saying those are paper thin tires.

I wonder how much rubberized asphalt has to play with the noise of the tires. We have rubberized asphalt in Phoenix and I never hear my tires
We have a few areas of concrete highway that are much noisier than asphalt is.

The Maxx's have been good. The only issue is that I tore a side wall this spring. Which is funny to me because they apparently have a reenforced sidewall. I treated my Duratracs the same and never had a problem despite everyone saying those are paper thin tires.

Just a matter of happenstance I'm sure. They are supposed to have the same Armortek sidewall the STT's have.

Just a matter of happenstance I'm sure. They are supposed to have the same Armortek sidewall the STT's have.
That's how I am looking at it. Things happen and aren't necessarily typical of the tire.

I went off on a road in the foothills in my XJ and the rocks blew one my Duratracs off the rim and I broke an upper axle mount.

Tire sidewall held up just fine. Seemed plenty tough to me. A buddy blew out the Kevlar MTR on a curb. Dumb luck I guess.

Reactions: jjvw
The STT Pro is better at the off-road performance than ST Maxx. That's why it is quieter and more comfortable than ST Maxx when you are off-roading. However, if you drive STT Pro on highways, it will be noisier than ST Maxx. ST Maxx is better and quieter when you drive it on roads.
I got this information from here. Check it if you want more details.