Cooper Evolution M/T Tires

BoldlyGoing

TJ Addict
Has anyone laid eyes on these tires in real life? Apparently they first came out at SEMA last year.

Discount Tire currently has them listed at ~160 per for 35's.

not sure I want an MT, but at that price? I think I could make do.

My initial Google search didn't reveal much about the Cooper Evolution series. It appears to be designed for a price point below the Discovery series (STT Pro, ST/Maxx, AT3). As such, the Evolution MT probably has 2-ply sidewalls rather than 3 ply, lack of "Armor Tec 3" construction, no rim guards, etc. as would be expected with a lower tier tire. That doesn't mean they are a bad tire, just that there are trade offs for a lower price point. I would think that the Evolution would be competitive with Maxxis Bighorn MT's and similar tires at that point of the tire spectrum.

I am looking forward to learning more about these. I currently run Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires on one of my vehicles, which replaced a set of ST/Maxx, and I run Mickey Thompson's Baja ATZ P3's (a Cooper tire) on my Jeep.

Reactions: Blondie70
My initial Google search didn't reveal much about the Cooper Evolution series. It appears to be designed for a price point below the Discovery series (STT Pro, ST/Maxx, AT3). As such, the Evolution MT probably has 2-ply sidewalls rather than 3 ply, lack of "Armor Tec 3" construction, no rim guards, etc. as would be expected with a lower tier tire. That doesn't mean they are a bad tire, just that there are trade offs for a lower price point. I would think that the Evolution would be competitive with Maxxis Bighorn MT's and similar tires at that point of the tire spectrum.

I am looking forward to learning more about these. I currently run Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires on one of my vehicles, which replaced a set of ST/Maxx, and I run Mickey Thompson's Baja ATZ P3's (a Cooper tire) on my Jeep.
Same here in terms of limited google available info.

For me, sidewall / rim protection isn't a major concern since 95% of the terrain I run is access roads to job sites and camp sites at normal pressures and my wheels are just some no-name brand.

If I go this route, it certainly wouldn't be the most "off the wall" tire I've bought. Currently replacing a set of Kenda Klever MT's which I must admit have wildly exceed my expectations in terms of life and performance.

How do you like the AT3 compared to ST Maxx, I've had 2 sets of st maxx and thinking about going to AT3.

Got a set of 33s in shop but haven't got mounted yet. Great looking tread patten and should serve my purpose well. Changing from at3xlt.

20200317_141537.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
How do you like the AT3 compared to ST Maxx, I've had 2 sets of st maxx and thinking about going to AT3.

Funny you should ask.

I was preparing my Xterra for a 4,500 mile trip which would include about 2,500 "overlanding" miles in Baja California. My ST/Maxx's had approximately 40,000 miles on them with a tread depth suggesting that they would need to be replaced in 4-5,000 miles. Rather than try to get every last mile out of them and risk tire damage due to "dried out old thin tires" I bought newones. And rather than spend the extra $50/corner for another set of ST/Maxx, I chose the less expensive AT3 for its more comfortable C load rating and good overall ratings because my plan was to sell the Xterra and replace it with the new Ford Bronco after its scheduled release later in 2020. No need for the more aggressive, more expensive tire.

The AT3's performed well in Mexico, surprisingly well in the mud on Laguna Salada. I think the AT3's worked better in sand than the ST/Maxx's would have. I also think they were a better choice for long days on pavement, both good and bad. However, there were times in the rocks that I questioned whether it was worthwhile to abandon the toughness of the ST/Maxx just to save $200. I eventually decided that the AT3's really are excellent "overlanding" tires and they fit better with my plan to replace the Xterra with a Bronco, but that if I were keeping the Xterra long term replacing my old ST/Maxx with another set of ST/Maxx would have been a better choice.

As it turns out, the world in now on lockdown, the stock market is in turmoil, and this is not the time to be replacing a perfectly good vehicle with the "shiny new thing" even if Ford can get the Bronco to market before the end of the year. Its a good thing that my AT3's are a good tire and I like them because this unanticipated turn of events suggests that I will be keeping the Xterra longer than planned and in hindsight I should probably have stayed with ST/Maxx.

Perhaps its a sign for you. :eek:

Reactions: Cornbread
I had negative experience with Coopers, granted they were AT and not MT but still... went with KO2 s instead.

what kind of negative experience?

Like balance issues? Or did the salesmen poke you in the eye and make Three Stooges noises?

Balancing was not an issue. The tires did not have the proper grip especially in wet conditions. Every time braking or starting off I had to be careful and either really ease off the clutch or give myself extra distance to stop.

Cheers

P.S. Not sure why you are being sarcastic, I was serious.

Balancing was not an issue. The tires did not have the proper grip especially in wet conditions. Every time braking or starting off I had to be careful and either really ease off the clutch or give myself extra distance to stop.

Cheers

P.S. Not sure why you are being sarcastic, I was serious.
Sarcastic?

Just wanted to know the nature of the "bad experience". That could mean anything from poor performance to bad customer service.

Reactions: Blondie70
Too bad you don't live closer MrBills. I've been a Nissan fan for years👍. Love the hardbody and xterra🥰. Just out of curiosity what year is it? 🤔Any pics?🧐 Feel free to pm me to not screw up this thread.🐐

Too bad you don't live closer MrBills. I've been a Nissan fan for years👍. Love the hardbody and xterra🥰. Just out of curiosity what year is it? 🤔Any pics?🧐

2005 model year. This shot was taken in Moab, mid-May 2015, shortly after I purchased my first set of Cooper ST/Maxx tires.

full.jpg

I trusted my Cooper ST/Maxx tires here:

Fins N Things 2.jpg

And now back to our regular jeep programming and discussion of Cooper Evolution tires.

Last edited:
To close the loop here, I went ahead and got the Cooper Evolutions.

So far I can say this- these are the quietest MT's I've ever run. This after having GY Wrangler MT's, BFG MT's, and Kenda Klevers. Noisewise, I'd say they're about equal to the Duratracs.

My only experience as far as grip is on asphalt and loose topsoil on my job site. They feel fine on the road. This afternoon will be the real test on wet asphalt.

They do clean out really well. I was slinging mud all over the place going down the job site access road. As soon as my guys get all these steel T-Posts cleaned up, I'll see how they handle wet, Georgia red clay.

Reactions: TJ Starting
To close the loop here, I went ahead and got the Cooper Evolutions.

So far I can say this- these are the quietest MT's I've ever run. This after having GY Wrangler MT's, BFG MT's, and Kenda Klevers. Noisewise, I'd say they're about equal to the Duratracs.

My only experience as far as grip is on asphalt and loose topsoil on my job site. They feel fine on the road. This afternoon will be the real test on wet asphalt.

They do clean out really well. I was slinging mud all over the place going down the job site access road. As soon as my guys get all these steel T-Posts cleaned up, I'll see how they handle wet, Georgia red clay.
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted. Its really wet out here today.

Have you had a chance to get some road time on these yet? It sounds like they are going to do well off road. Curious about their on-road behavior? Glad to hear they’re quiet!
Daily driving has been so much better than I expected. They are by far the quietest MT I've ever had.

I haven't used them in the rain yet, but on dry asphalt, they are performing very well so far.

Daily driving has been so much better than I expected. They are by far the quietest MT I've ever had.

I haven't used them in the rain yet, but on dry asphalt, they are performing very well so far.
good to know. I’m definitely considering these for my next set of tires. I wonder if these super low prices are just temporary since the tires are so new. I guess we’ll see!