Corner light not working

Jrc4055

So I'm starting my first repair on the Jeep, and of course it would be an electrical issue

...wonderful...

Anywho, I've learned how to read wiring diagrams, so that's cool. Let's see if Im doing it right:

My left fender corner bulb does not turn on for anything. I know that the bulb works(tested it on the opposite side) and I know the bulb attachment (the thing the bulb goes into) works, cause I cut it off and did a temp splice through the attachment on the other side(please don't mock me to harshly I'm to cheap for a voltage meter right now haha). In the picture, the bent white/Light Green wire is for the corner.(also please ignore the cuts in the splice, they were my doing and have not affected anything)
IMG_20200929_230927.jpg

Hypothesis #1: is that this wire is faulty somehow, because the front turning bulb works just fine. Thus I should cut the current splice and make a new one with my own wire.

Hypothesis #2: of course I come up with another one as I write this, but because I haven't found the splice for the white/yellow wires, there is a chance this could be it too.

Which road should I go down first? I'd like to cut as few wires as possible lol

First, buy a multimeter. Walmart has them cheap or of course amazon. Problem w/ even doing little slices in wires is the weather will ALWAYS get into them, you have already started corrosion.
Go to the "resource" thread and download the factory service manual, it will tell you what color does what.
Most likely a bad ground.

So I'm starting my first repair on the Jeep, and of course it would be an electrical issue

...wonderful...

Anywho, I've learned how to read wiring diagrams, so that's cool. Let's see if Im doing it right:

My left fender corner bulb does not turn on for anything. I know that the bulb works(tested it on the opposite side) and I know the bulb attachment (the thing the bulb goes into) works, cause I cut it off and did a temp splice through the attachment on the other side(please don't mock me to harshly I'm to cheap for a voltage meter right now haha). In the picture, the bent white/Light Green wire is for the corner.(also please ignore the cuts in the splice, they were my doing and have not affected anything)
View attachment 193318
Hypothesis #1: is that this wire is faulty somehow, because the front turning bulb works just fine. Thus I should cut the current splice and make a new one with my own wire.

Hypothesis #2: of course I come up with another one as I write this, but because I haven't found the splice for the white/yellow wires, there is a chance this could be it too.

Which road should I go down first? I'd like to cut as few wires as possible lol
Ok...so you have no problem hacking into the the other side to test your socket....

Why not take your good known socket and bulb and hack into the bad side. You'll verify really quick if it's wiring or not.

If it doesn't work....
Splice into your ground wire and jump it straight to the negative on the battery. If it illuminates you've got a bad ground.

Good luck

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will look for a multimeter today.

I have already downloaded the service manual and it appears that the corner light has a hot wire(white/yellow) and a turn signal wire(green/white). This leads me to assume the ground is the black wire in the front corner bulb. But if the ground was faulty then neither light would be working.
VK0X2tm.jpg

A test light is all you need for this and can be easier to use than multimeter to just check for voltage present.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KO1H6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I have been using one of this but it's given me more questions than answers. For example: when the lights are off on the working side. I can put the probe in the hot wire and the light turns on. But not when the lights on the Jeep are turned on. How can I get this to work properly?

New update: I was able to get the testing probe to indicate hot and turning wires for the working side. I then tried to replicate the same result on the non working wires and neither would give me voltage. This leads me to think that a ground is faulty but I'm not sure which one(see post #5).

I have been using one of this but it's given me more questions than answers. For example: when the lights are off on the working side. I can put the probe in the hot wire and the light turns on. But not when the lights on the Jeep are turned on. How can I get this to work properly?
Try the other wire when the lights are on. It switches with lights on.

Well I figured it out! Since I was giving the connection a solid ground and nothing was happening, I confidently decided to blame the hot wire for all this trouble.

All I did was splice into the front corner bulb hot wire and attach the cornering hot wire to that via some soldering. It was a very easy solution and doesn't change any of the wiring paths(as far as current is concerned). The cornering light works just like new!
IMG_20200930_190701.jpg

IMG_20200930_191451.jpg

Reactions: Viking Jeeper