TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

Coronavirus—the forum crazies echo chamber

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
It's interesting watching this whole thing unfold. I also find it interesting that SARS and many of these animal born viruses come from China, due to the fact that they eat all sorts of weird exotic meat over there, and often times don't prepare or store it correctly.

With the way this thing is spreading, it looks like it's going to kill a lot of people.

• Sad
Reactions: billiebob

acct21

Supporting Member
close to Austin, Texas -- but not too close!
It makes for great hyperbole -- but most of those dying have been older adults with existing medical conditions. We have had more pediatric patients die of influenza in the U.S. this flu season than there have been coronavirus deaths in China. Don't forget that between 30,000 and 80,000 deaths in the U.S. occur every year due to influenza.

The overall mortality rate is relatively low -- certainly nothing along the lines of the coronaviruses before it (SARS and MERS), and those eventually petered out. This one will make the rounds for a few months. Nothing to be too concerned about right now.

1515art

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
according to news sources inside China the death toll and those sick are much higher than we are hearing, China’s version of our Fox News reported last night over 300 fatalities and the number reported sick over 100k, they think before this is over 250k may die from this outbreak within China alone. The news coverage I saw was of one hospital with a horrific scene of the hallways lined with the dead and dying laying on the floor and cots. A friend also posted pictures of an empty Shanghai airport, Disneyland, old town everywhere completely abandoned the city shutdown indefinitely. So are much of the country, our daughter is attending Shanghai university and came home a couple weeks ago for spring break just before all this happened luckily and we’ll keep her here in Las Vegas until this blows over.

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
according to news sources inside China the death toll and those sick are much higher than we are hearing, China’s version of our Fox News reported last night over 300 fatalities and the number reported sick over 100k, they think before this is over 250k may die from this outbreak within China alone. The news coverage I saw was of one hospital with a horrific scene of the hallways lined with the dead and dying laying on the floor and cots. A friend also posted pictures of an empty Shanghai airport, Disneyland, old town everywhere completely abandoned the city shutdown indefinitely. So are much of the country, our daughter is attending Shanghai university and came home a couple weeks ago for spring break just before all this happened luckily and we’ll keep her here in Las Vegas until this blows over.
I saw this as well. The Chinese media (to no surprise) isn’t reporting the actual facts, and it’s apparently a lot worse than what they are reporting.

That’s great to hear your daughter made it home before all of this!

ejay

TJ Enthusiast
Just went to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach on Saturday. It was disability day so we had to dodge wheelchairs. Saw a ton of asians (clearly tourists) many of which were masked and gloved up. Now in LA it's not unusual to see asians masked up to keep out of the sun. It's a cultural thing regarding suntan. That's something completely different than what I saw in Long Beach. And...they just had the #2 case of this virus in California recently in LA.

Having said that....it was difficult to keep my youngest from licking the fish tanks and keeping her hands out of her mouth. Let's say we washed at every station we came across. Am I worried? No....probably more concerned. I was a medic for many years. I'll keep my eyes open. Incubation period for this virus is about two weeks. Not going to hide under a rock.

KillerIsMe

TJ Enthusiast
The China Syndrome - the book, not the movie - is a good read about the origin of the SARS epidemic. Scary but fascinating

Equilibrium31

Done here.
Supporting Member
Disease breakouts like this tend to get overblown in terms of how directly threatening they are, so I'm not too concerned there yet. I'm actually a bit relieved for this to be happening in a country like China where the government can just shut down pretty much anything it wants to on a whim since that will likely keep it from spreading more than it would in most places.

I also think that Trump is type of president who is more likely to shut down travel to the U.S. from countries struggling with outbreaks sooner rather than later. He's definitely not afraid to ban travel, so this will be in our favor here.

I think the biggest threat to most of us is likely to be the economic impact. We're already seeing some pretty substantial hits to markets all over the world from decreased travel and such. Handling epidemics like this are expensive, especially from how much they can slow or shut down economies.

steelhd

TJ Enthusiast
The WHO, CDC, and local American health agencies are all watching this closely but haven't rang the panic bell. But WTF is up with the Chinese? What they are reporting, and the actions they are taking, don't line up. At all. And that is more than a bit spooky given the relationship that totalitarian governments have often had with the truth during disasters.

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
The WHO, CDC, and local American health agencies are all watching this closely but haven't rang the panic bell. But WTF is up with the Chinese? What they are reporting, and the actions they are taking, don't line up. At all. And that is more than a bit spooky given the relationship that totalitarian governments have often had with the truth during disasters.
Hard to say. The Chinese media is dishonest, as they are only allowed to report and say so much. With a crackdown on social media and the internet in China, it's hard to get the actual facts from a country like that. However, from the stuff I have read that has supposedly leaked from people inside China, the outbreak is much worse than they are leading onto.

1515art

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hard to say. The Chinese media is dishonest, as they are only allowed to report and say so much. With a crackdown on social media and the internet in China, it's hard to get the actual facts from a country like that. However, from the stuff I have read that has supposedly leaked from people inside China, the outbreak is much worse than they are leading onto.
China’s clamped off on most of the news leaks now , there’s still a few independent bloggers getting info out and WeChat is still being used last time I looked they may be on servers harder to control.

I picked up the last 4 respirators remaining on the shelf at Home Depot no matter there’s not one reported case here in Las Vegas Home Depot, ace and Walgreens have been sold out for a couple days people seem to believe this one has potential getting serious at least better to plan ahead just in case as this has a long incubation period without symptoms, not sure just how many days a person becomes contagious before the symptoms begin to show? People clearing the shelves the same in other areas?

Reactions: Chris

Jeepn_Texas

TJ Enthusiast
Oh... I don't think so, I don't think jeeps can catch it.
But honestly, if it worries you, listen to how it propagates and avoid those behaviors.
Camp with your jeep away from large groups of people.
In places hard to get to unless... you have a jeep!

Ever notice how these "Dangerous situations" happen just when some people
would rather you didn't watch some things on the news?

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting

1515art

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Oh... I don't think so, I don't think jeeps can catch it.
But honestly, if it worries you, listen to how it propagates and avoid those behaviors.
Camp with your jeep away from large groups of people.
In places hard to get to unless... you have a jeep!
Took my rifles out into the desert this afternoon, no Coronavirus to worry about there:)

vinsanity

Breaker of things. Sometimes fixer of things.
Supporting Member
I'm certainly watching it, but that's because I have plane tickets to china for March... :(

It's interesting watching this whole thing unfold. I also find it interesting that SARS and many of these animal born viruses come from China, due to the fact that they eat all sorts of weird exotic meat over there, and often times don't prepare or store it correctly.
It's not what they eat. We eat roughly the same animals as they do, we just throw our more part than they do. You can call those part "exotic" if you like. The real difference is the way they live in closer proximity to the animals, especially in the rural areas.

For example, you don't catch avian flu from a dead chicken, and definitely not from a 1/2 cooked chicken. You catch it from infected live chickens running around the house and at the markets.

Most things you can catch from poorly prepared meats do not spread by air between people, so they don't spread far.

Reactions: Reign Mack

1515art

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm certainly watching it, but that's because I have plane tickets to china for March... :(

It's not what they eat. We eat roughly the same animals as they do, we just throw our more part than they do. You can call those part "exotic" if you like. The real difference is the way they live in closer proximity to the animals, especially in the rural areas.

For example, you don't catch avian flu from a dead chicken, and definitely not from a 1/2 cooked chicken. You catch it from infected live chickens running around the house and at the markets.

Most things you can catch from poorly prepared meats do not spread by air between people, so they don't spread far.
Where in China are you planning to go? all Of our friends and family are under a self imposed quarantine and my wife tried talking her parents into leaving Shanghai until this ends, but they don’t even want to go outside and the airport is out of the question everything’s shut down. Hard to imagine the economic impact from this there has to be billions of dollars lost every day if not trillions.