Correct front drive shaft u-joint?

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Does this u-joint look correct for the front DS closest to the front axle pinion? I haven't found any other photos of this and the bearing caps just seem large to me (2005 TJ Rubicon). If my research is right, it should be a Spicer 5-793X in that spot:

5BC65270-68B3-4DD4-B302-595F35E90FF7.jpeg

Didn't notice that. Makes me think a previous owner converted to or installed a new shaft to run 1310 size u-joints. 1310 and 1330 u-joints have the same size bearing caps, the 1330 has a wider body.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the deal with it is. All I know is that I'm going to have to get REAL creative to get the caps out. I spent a lot of time tonight trying to get them to budge with a hammer and socket - they only moved 1mm. Scared to put a MAP torch to them for an extended period of time.

I guess my only viable option is to cut them out, but I don't see that being easy. If I do, I can probably cut the trunnion our with my 4" angle grinder — but I'm not sure how to cut the caps out. I have a small Dremel that's going out to lunch, but I may be able to use a small cutting bit to butcher them enough to knock them out easier.

I'm not sure what the deal with it is. All I know is that I'm going to have to get REAL creative to get the caps out. I spent a lot of time tonight trying to get them to budge with a hammer and socket - they only moved 1mm. Scared to put a MAP torch to them for an extended period of time.

I guess my only viable option is to cut them out, but I don't see that being easy. If I do, I can probably cut the trunnion our with my 4" angle grinder — but I'm not sure how to cut the caps out. I have a small Dremel that's going out to lunch, but I may be able to use a small cutting bit to butcher them enough to knock them out easier.
Use a bench vise with sockets. One socket big enough for one bearing cap to fit into as it is driven outward, another socket just smaller than the bearing cap to push it inward with the bench vise. Or use a BFH using the sockets as described.

Use a bench vise with sockets. One socket big enough for one bearing cap to fit into as it is driven outward, another socket just smaller than the bearing cap to push it inward with the bench vise. Or use a BFH using the sockets as described.

The new POS vise that I bought yesterday doesn't open wide enough for sockets, so I tried using one of my ball joint receivers from my service kit and a 1/2" nut. The process made it move another millimeter, but it broke my vise.

Time to give it to the driveshaft experts at your local driveshaft repair shop. You may not have seen them but they're around inside industrial areas. Nope, don't take it to a 4x4 shop or general purpose garage, they'll just take it to a driveshaft specialty shop and then mark up the bill.

Or have someone like Tom Wood at www.4xshaft.com make you a new driveshaft. Tom's are not much more to buy than most driveshaft shops charge to overhaul an existing driveshaft.

You're also going to need to verify whether the front axle's yoke for the u-joint is for a non-Rubicon 1310 size as it appears it may be from the above photo. 1310 u-joints are used for all driveshafts for non-Rubicon TJs, only the Rubicon did not come with 1310 size driveshaft u-joints.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac
Time to give it to the driveshaft experts at your local driveshaft repair shop. You may not have seen them but they're around inside industrial areas. Nope, don't take it to a 4x4 shop or general purpose garage, they'll just take it to a driveshaft specialty shop and then mark up the bill.

Or have someone like Tom Wood at www.4xshaft.com make you a new driveshaft. Tom's are not much more to buy than most driveshaft shops charge to overhaul an existing driveshaft.

I'll have to disagree. Well aware of driveshaft shops, minimum 2 week turnaround and $250 to get it out (my area sucks). I'm buying a proper vise as I write this. If this Wilton 1755 doesn't do it, then I'll have to figure out a speedier alternative.

Hey jeep_boss did you ever figure out what u joint to use in that slip yoke? Took my front driveline out today (2006 TJ rubicon) and it looks just like yours. Weird. I got the u joint out but not sure what the replace it with. Thank you!

Hey jeep_boss did you ever figure out what u joint to use in that slip yoke? Took my front driveline out today (2006 TJ rubicon) and it looks just like yours. Weird. I got the u joint out but not sure what the replace it with. Thank you!
@Newjeeper you've got to start @jeep_boss with the "@" symbol and he'll get the message. Or you can hit "reply" to his post and he'll be notified. Take care.