Correct gears?

Andy Maurer

TJ Enthusiast
I have a 98 TJ with Dana 30/44 3.73 gears and want to upgrade to revolution 4.88. Will I need to worry about a carrier break? I have 33 inch tires, 4.0, 5 speed and would rather error on the low side as far as gearing goes. Would one of the experts be so kind as to provide a link to the correct revolution gear sets for me?

before it comes up.... I understand the installer should provide them to account for any warranty issues.... I just want to see the markup I am paying.

Far from an expert but this should be the gears you need along with overhaul kits https://liftkits4less.com/revolution-gear-and-axle-rev-tj-Dana 44-488-jeep-gear-sets

You can check here for carrier break. You are fine in front but will need new carrier or locker in rear. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ears-and-axle-carrier-breaks-explained.20622/

Just noticed you are in StL. Who are you having do your gears? May be in market soon myself.

Reactions: Chris
What I linked, Rev-TJ-Dana 44-488, and what linked, Rev-TJ-Dana 44-488-K, are the same ring/pinion. Both are for Dana 30 front/Dana 44 rear. The ‘K‘ at end indicates it has Koyo bearings not Timken. I’ve always seen Timken recommended but again not in any way expert.

I think you may be able to use thick gear for rear instead of new carrier but that would be where expert is needed for the discussion.

Reactions: Adms01TJ
Consider adding selectable lockers at the same time, if you don’t have them already. Selectable lockers will vastly improve your off-road performance, probably more so than even 37” tires would.

The cost to install the lockers would only be the price of the carriers plus a small amount of extra installation cost over regearing. If you decide to add them later, you would be stuck paying for the labor to set up the gears a second time.

Thick cut Dana 44 gears would allow you to preserve your existing rear carrier. The carrier break on the Dana 44 is 3.73/3.92. The carrier break on the Dana 30 is 3.54/3.73, so assuming it doesn’t already have thick cut gears, you would only need thick cut for the rear.

What I linked, Rev-TJ-Dana 44-488, and what linked, Rev-TJ-Dana 44-488-K, are the same ring/pinion. Both are for Dana 30 front/Dana 44 rear. The ‘K‘ at end indicates it has Koyo bearings not Timken. I’ve always seen Timken recommended but again not in any way expert.

Yep, I was wrong! Thanks for the info.

Consider adding selectable lockers at the same time, if you don’t have them already. Selectable lockers will vastly improve your off-road performance, probably more so than even 37” tires would.

Thick cut Dana 44 gears would allow you to preserve your existing rear carrier. The carrier break on the Dana 44 is 3.73/3.92. The carrier break on the Dana 30 is 3.54/3.73, so assuming it doesn’t already have thick cut gears, you would only need thick cut for the rear.

I am planning on adding Spartan lockers front and rear. I realize they are not selectable, and would prefer selectable, but I cannot justify the price difference between lunchbox & selectable. My jeep is parked over winter so no worries with snow, and I rarely go on trails with large off camber obstacles that put 1 wheel off the ground so I think Spartans will work for my needs.

Reactions: Steel City 06