Correct Grease for Zerk Fittings?

Plumber1

Tito's, Tacos and Trails
Supporting Member
Can I use a standard grease for Currie Johnny Joints or is there something special I should use ? For that matter what is a good quality grease I should use for all my zerk fittings ? It has been awhile and since I can't find my grease gun I will be picking up a new one and new grease.

Is there any issue mixing it whats is currently in the Suspension, steering, ball joints, and drive shafts, etc ?

While on this topic how often does everyone grease there fittings ? yearly, quarterly or just whenever

I was thinking that, but I thought some things you can over grease
You can over grease some things, but those are typically motor bearings and other high speed applications, usually not a issue for tie rods and such. You just have to be careful that you dont blow out a tie rod or ball joint rubber boot.

Reactions: Thunderhead
You can over grease some things, but those are typically motor bearings and other high speed applications, usually not a issue for tie rods and such. You just have to be careful that you dont blow out a tie rod or ball joint rubber boot.

I was over zealous and blew out 2 rubber boots. Then I did the ZJ upgrade and replaced the boots.. Easy does it. The important part is to do it on a regular schedule

Many boots are more like cups. Excess grease is allowed to come out of the larger side. Many boots are sealed. If you pump too much you blow out the boot. The first type are normally a harder almost plastic boot. The second are normally very soft and rubbery.