Cost and quality efficient Jeep build for hard working high school noob

Wow, I was not expecting this much help and support! You guys are awesome and thank you for for all of your kind words and wisdom!
Right now after some research I am leaning towards a 2.5” lift with a 1.25 BL and a 1” MML.
Here is what I have written down:

Coil Springs: OME 2” front and rear
Shocks: rancho rx5000 2-3” front and rear
Body lift: savvy 1.25”
Motor Mount lift: savvy 1”
Track bar relocation bracket: ARB
Tires mounted and balanced as well

The rough total estimate: $1035

Is this a good setup? Am I missing anything? And would the springs allow for 2.5” of lift or will they sag quickly? Thank you everyone for the help again!
-Bryce
Extended front and rear bump stops and longer sway bar end links or discos up front.

Reactions: AndyG and SvtLdr
Wow, I was not expecting this much help and support! You guys are awesome and thank you for for all of your kind words and wisdom!
Right now after some research I am leaning towards a 2.5” lift with a 1.25 BL and a 1” MML.
Here is what I have written down:

Coil Springs: OME 2” front and rear
Shocks: rancho rx5000 2-3” front and rear
Body lift: savvy 1.25”
Motor Mount lift: savvy 1”
Track bar relocation bracket: ARB
Tires mounted and balanced as well

The rough total estimate: $1035

Is this a good setup? Am I missing anything? And would the springs allow for 2.5” of lift or will they sag quickly? Thank you everyone for the help again!
-Bryce
This is a great setup for 33" tires, you're heading in the right direction. Your new lifted springs should serve you for awhile without sagging. You may also consider an adjustable front track bar. It's possible you won't need it at only 2" of lift. There's also a method to reuse your OE track bar by drilling a new mounting hole to adjust the axle location. Don't forget the wheel suggestion made above. You'll need a different backspacing to run the 33x12.5 tires without rubbing.

Oh also I forgot to mention that I will need new bump stops but am unsure of what brand or size to get

This is a great setup for 33" tires, you're heading in the right direction. Your new lifted springs should serve you for awhile without sagging. You may also consider an adjustable front track bar. It's possible you won't need it at only 2" of lift. There's also a method to reuse your OE track bar by drilling a new mounting hole to adjust the axle location. Don't forget the wheel suggestion made above. You'll need a different backspacing to run the 33x12.5 tires without rubbing.
okay thank you!

IMO you left out the most important one...the rear DS pulling right out of the T-case...

That said you put a link up for the extreme short SYE...
When the regular SYE would be fine for his use and significantly cheaper.

At this point he's just trying to add some 33's and I don't think he needs a SYE just yet.
That was the implication when I mentioned "longer driveshaft". A SYE kit must be paired with a longer double cardan driveshaft.

The OP specifically asked about the direct use and purpose of a SYE. I wasn't trying to sell him on anything, just trying to be helpful.

I've read of numerous folks who install a standard length SYE and, later down the road, wish the had gone with a super short in the first place. That was the reason I went with a super short.

Oh also I forgot to mention that I will need new bump stops but am unsure of what brand or size to get
I've always made my own bump stops in the past using aluminum round stock and/ or hockey pucks. I'm sure someone will chime in here. I know the Currie adjustable stops are popular, albeit pricey.

Alright so with the addition of

Bumpstops: Daystar adjustable bump stops

Wheels: pro comp 69 series 15x8 polished chrome: $560

This puts my grand total at roughly: $1600

I do not want to exceed $1600-1700 but if it is what I must do for the sake of my vehicle I understand.
That being said, are new sway bar end links or discos and an adjustable front track bar essential? Or are they a suggested mod down the road that I don’t necessarily need to worry about right now like an SYE or driveshaft.
Thank you!
-Bryce

If I were to put off any mods for this lift height. It would be the track bars.
An off center axle for a few months isn’t going to break anything.

And a strong 2nd on stepping back to 33-10.50’s

Oh, as far as sway ar links go. You don’t “need” a $150 set. There are plenty of DIY write ups arond to do it for less than $50

I do not want to exceed $1600-1700 but if it is what I must do for the sake of my vehicle I understand.
That being said, are new sway bar end links or discos and an adjustable front track bar essential? Or are they a suggested mod down the road that I don’t necessarily need to worry about right now like an SYE or driveshaft.
Thank you!
-Bryce
This is what I just installed last weekend...smooth like warm butter. Actually drives better than it did stock except that I can feel the higher center of gravity.

4 Rancho 5000x shocks LINK (set of 4 $203.96) RS55239/RS55240.
4 BDS 2" lift springs rear 034206 front 034204 LINK
RC Front adjustable track bar LINK
Rear track bar bracket LINK
JKS Quicker Disconnects LINK
Rusty's 1" MML, rubber (removed the little vibes I had) LINK
3/4" front spacers (removed the rake) LINK

This came to a grand total of $884.77 and got me about 2.5 lift in the rear and just about 3" up front with no vibes...results may vary.

Hopefully these links work.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with the other brands and suggestions, but I am fully confident that you will enjoy whichever way you go. Have fun with your new toy.

J-Just
E-Empty
E-Every
P-Pocket

Reactions: TJ_owns_a_TJ
In case you haven't considered 33x10.5-15 tires, they are also an option. The narrower footprint will handle better on the road and there is no need to replace the wheels...unless you want to.
I'd also vote for the 33x10.5 tire but it sounds like you already bought the 12.5 wide desert hawks?
Either way, swapping to a 33" tire will require moving the tires outboard to avoid contact. The recommended method is wheels with reduced backspacing. Wheel spacers will work also on a tighter budget.

Reactions: never monday
We've installed many lifts and honestly a 2.5" spring lift is what we've done the most.
If you're getting vibes with a 2.5" spring lift or less you need new u-joints.

Trust me when I tell you many people grab, yank and say yep.. my u-joint is good to go when that is absolutely positively not the case.

A SYE has it's place but it's not needed on a short lift provided your u-joints are A1 condition.
I've been wondering why the previous owner of my jeep put on a transfer case drop when there was only a 2" budget boost, now you have me thinking it must have had vibes because the u joints were shot. I know my driveshaft u joints are pretty bad (I'll be replacing all 5 soon) so the previous owner must have felt vibes and assumed the pinion angle was too high

Reactions: SvtLdr

Thank you!
-Bryce
I'm still learning as well, but from what I have read extended front and rear sway bar links are essential. I considered the jks disconnects because they look really nice, but since my lift came with plain extended links I am going to save some money and make some homemade disconnects

I've been wondering why the previous owner of my jeep put on a transfer case drop when there was only a 2" budget boost, now you have me thinking it must have had vibes because the u joints were shot. I know my driveshaft u joints are pretty bad (I'll be replacing all 5 soon) so the previous owner must have felt vibes and assumed the pinion angle was too high
And remember...who knows what someone at a 4wd shop told them.
Just because they work there doesn't automatically make them expert. They might be no more an expert than a sales clerk at the 7-11

If I were to put off any mods for this lift height. It would be the track bars.
An off center axle for a few months isn’t going to break anything.
Or you could make your own.:cool:
Rusty's (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Thank you!
-Bryce
Its humorously dumb when we get a customer who spent all this money...some well over a thousand or two for a "lift kit" and yet they still have solid sway bar links. Literally an expensive lift that can never be utilized as the links limit travel drastically!!
I guess they just want to look chill at the local vehicle hang spot.

If you want your suspension to function (tj's simple suspension design works really well) you need to get those sway bar links to disconnect. You need proper length of your new spring height and ones thatvdisconnect.

Good luck 👍

Welcome to the forum @Bfryant44.
We here can be little more than helpful especially expending someone else cash. I guess is a TJ thing...

Seeing your list and your budget I will strongly suggest you this kit.
https://dpgoffroad.com/product/old-...duct/old-man-emu-ultimate-tj-lj-wrangler-kit/I do use it and abused on my LJ, Drive from CLE - OH to Raush Creek, Windrock, Gulches, AOAA, Jeep Beach play for the weekend then drives back w no issues. Never use adjustable CA until I get a set of Core 4 x 4 Tier 3 set to try on, this yield no difference until i went to heavy off-road so no think on it much as if you need it, just upper rears will suffice.

This is a complete solution, bolt on on a weekend, OME that you mention, and good set of instructions if you are mechanical inclined will help you to set it in correctly. Plus me and other can help on the process. Dirk on DPG is very helpful especially when selecting the spring rate.

For the BML use spacers like the savvy ones and kept your OEM body mounts.

Research on TC skid drop, TJ’s tend to be picky and you may need to add a washer or two. No need to change the skid for now but plant on, that’s a subject for another time.

You may like to start researching on a TC shifter cable. Not necessary but once you lift the body and add MML angles change and that linkage turn stubborn. I do use Advance adapters but is many others.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT