Could I run 33” tires with this setup?

TurboTJ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I currently have 265/75/16 KO2s on Moab wheels. I have a 2 inch OME lift and I believe that nothing rubs. If I do a 1 inch MML and 1 inch body lift do you think I could run 285/75/16 KO2s? What about the wheels? The Moabs have 5 inch backspace and the 285s are 0.8 inch wider so would wheels with less backspacing be needed?. I do not want to go to a 3 or 4 inch suspension lift because I tow the Rubicon behind my truck camper and the tow bar angle is already close to the limit. So a MML and BL will have to do.

Edit: I have Currie controI arms which I believe are somewhat less prone to rubbing then the stock control arms.

Last edited:
It should work, properly bumpstopped. I'm running a similar tire size, 285/70r17, with an OME 2" lift and a 1.25" body lift. I have about 4" of backspacing though and get a bit of rubbing on the factory control arms at full steering lock. I just back off the steering a bit when it happens. I need to put a washer in my steering stops...

This is my old Rubicon with the 2" OME lift (no body lift though) and 285/75R16 tires (33") on factory Moab wheels:

Only time it rubbed was on super hard turns (parking lots), but I always just backed off the steering as soon as it started to rub. It was barely enough to be worried though.

Cycle your suspension. Set your bump stops. Change your beliefs into factual knowledge.

Once you do this, you can know your suspension up travel. If your Jeep has less travel than stock, then add lift and/or find ways to reduce bump stop.

This is my old Rubicon with the 2" OME lift (no body lift though) and 285/75R16 tires (33") on factory Moab wheels:

View attachment 76841

Only time it rubbed was on super hard turns (parking lots), but I always just backed off the steering as soon as it started to rub. It was barely enough to be worried though.
Ah, the good ol' days...

That was what my Jeep was modeled after for the most part. Thinking of getting the steps you have on there. Do you remember what kind they were? I love that Rubi. My silver just can't look as good as that black, but black is a pain.

Reactions: Chris
Reactions: gg1

I know I asked you before, but I can't remember. Were you happy with them and could they be used well as a step? Can't beat the price. I think they would look okay on mine as well. I will never get tired of looking at that black Rubi of yours though. Just the whole package with the hardtop. So clean, understated, but just enough. Sure it would have used some more wheel travel if you are big into off road. lol

Reactions: Chris
I know I asked you before, but I can't remember. Were you happy with them and could they be used well as a step? Can't beat the price. I think they would look okay on mine as well. I will never get tired of looking at that black Rubi of yours though. Just the whole package with the hardtop. So clean, understated, but just enough. Sure it would have used some more wheel travel if you are big into off road. lol

There sole purpose is to be used as a step. You couldn’t use them as rock sliders or anything, as you would need an actual rock slider for that. But as far as a step goes, yes, I was very happy with them!

Reactions: gg1