Could it be the springs?

I was almost short 3” of upward travel. Meaning I was bottoming out the shock. He got me another 1 1/2”. Is that what you mean? It sounds like I can still bottom out the shock but it will be further into the travel before it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actual measurements. If you have a shock with 10" of overall travel, then there would be about 5" of exposed shaft at normal ride height. Or to rephrase, there would be roughly 5" up, roughly 5" down. Roughly.

So it seems like I need to increase my bump stop if I keep hitting the bottom of the shock in order to keep from breaking a shock or mount on the trail. I used to think I was pretty mechanically inclined. Then I get here. And, well, you know.

OK, so the gentleman returned from vacation and I had a chance to talk to him a bit. His guy measured what I had going. 3 1/2” travel in the shock and 6 1/4” travel to the bump stop. I have not measured that by removing the spring, nor have they. He said he bought shorter shock bodied shocks and got me 5” of travel. He also stated that we can’t give in one area without losing in the other. Because there is only so much shock length. So, as I understand he has gained me 1 1/2” towards the bump stop but that is going to cost me in the tire off the ground droop. Mind you, I don’t wheel hard so tire off the ground isn’t as important as my upward travel when I hit something. There must be a way folks deal with this. He already has the shocks in hand and although the original install was a year ago he still is willing to work with me on costs.

Looks like you’re trying to say new shocks are going to give you 1.5” of more up travel to bring total to 5”. Sounds like you’re on the right track but you still need cycle suspension for proper bump stops.
There’s several threads on how to properly install bump stops.

Just a bit of a follow up. I worked with the gentleman that installed the shocks last year. He made a very reasonable deal with me to keep it fair for both parties and replaced my shocks. He said I will now hit the bump stops before running out of shock travel. I feel good about his honesty and willingness to work with me. As I researched it, I couldn’t see where he had failed as he went with what Ranchos site recommended. The only error would have been that they didn’t personally measure things when we were ordering shocks to make sure the travel was good. We just went off the lift height. I know more now due this site. I’ll be more careful next time. I wish I had noticed before a year had passed, I just don’t wheel as hard as a lot of you folks here and didn’t notice it. It’s only now that I’m getting into slightly harder trails.