Could oil weight have anything to do with my lifter noise?

Yep....
TJ's love heavier oil.
These engines were sloppy exiting the assembly line.
No need whatsoever to worry ESPECIALLY in a Florida climate. Quite honestly unless you're seeing absurd cold 20w50 is great as well.

P.s. amazing clean up on the Jeep
Wish I knew this before I put 10w 30 in! I actually went out of my way to even find non synthetic 10w 30 where I live.

I can't and won't agree with the absurd notion that TJ engines were built with "sloppy" tolerances or that 10W-30 is not appropriate or that 20W-anything should be run except, perhaps, in a situations like a motor is wore out and on its last legs. Sorry but someone being a mechanic is definitely no assurance of expertise in all areas.

Personally I have received enough bad, sometimes laughable, information from mechanics to not put much faith in what they claim. They're so used to not being questioned that they soon start believing the shit the claim. Much of what they know is just what they learn from other mechanics and they're not always good sources of accurate information.

I can't and won't agree with the absurd notion that TJ engines were built with "sloppy" tolerances or that 10W-30 is not appropriate or that 20W-anything should be run except, perhaps, in a situations like a motor is wore out and on its last legs. Sorry but someone being a mechanic is definitely no assurance of expertise in all areas.

Personally I have received enough bad, sometimes laughable, information from mechanics to not put much faith in what they claim. They're so used to not being questioned that they soon start believing the shit the claim. Much of what they know is just what they learn from other mechanics and they're not always good sources of accurate information.
What about reputable mechanics who have been repairing and servicing jeeps for over 30 years in Australia that recommend and use 15w40 in the 4.0 for Australian conditions? this would seem to correspond with the factory under hood sicker on the Mexican import stating to use 15w40 or 15w50.
I am not arguing about experienced information either way, just totally confused about oil and why so many recommend 15w40 /50 in year round hot climates and others say only ever use 10w30?

So will 15w40 used in a hot climate damage the engine or is the difference so small it doesn't really matter?

Cheers

Where engine oil is concerned I once read use as thin as possible, as thick as necessary. Makes sense to me too.

The majority of engine wear occurs during each cold start before the engine oil has had a chance to thoroughly circulate throughout the entire engine. The thicker the oil, the slower it's gonna take to get into all of the nooks and crannies. This is why expensive engines like on some aircraft have pre-oilers to circulate the oil before the engine is started. It saves a lot of wear on such engines. And the higher the cold viscosity, the 10W part of the viscosity, the slower it is to circulate when the engine is cold. Higher viscosity = thicker.

But if anyone really thinks they need to run an extra high viscosity oil that's no skin off my nose. I run the viscosities the Jeep engineers recommend, it's good enough for me.

This is out of the TJ's owner's manual. Where viscosity is concerned, I'm perfectly happy with what the factory recommends. It works for me, I've yet to ever have an internal engine problem in something like 50 years of vehicle ownership. The factory recommended viscosity is all I've ever used so it must be ok to do so.

Capture.JPG

So after reading my owners manual it recommends 10w30 for summer "But where this is not readily available higher SAE grades may be used"

Maybe thats why Aussies recommend 15w40 because 10w30 is not as readily available as 15w40, same may apply to Mexico and the reason for the under hood label on the Mexican import showing 15w40/50?

Where engine oil is concerned I once read use as thin as possible, as thick as necessary. Makes sense to me too.

The majority of engine wear occurs during each cold start before the engine oil has had a chance to thoroughly circulate throughout the entire engine. The thicker the oil, the slower it's gonna take to get into all of the nooks and crannies. This is why expensive engines like on some aircraft have pre-oilers to circulate the oil before the engine is started. It saves a lot of wear on such engines. And the higher the cold viscosity, the 10W part of the viscosity, the slower it is to circulate when the engine is cold. Higher viscosity = thicker.

But if anyone really thinks they need to run an extra high viscosity oil that's no skin off my nose. I run the viscosities the Jeep engineers recommend, it's good enough for me.

This is out of the TJ's owner's manual. Where viscosity is concerned, I'm perfectly happy with what the factory recommends. It works for me, I've yet to ever have an internal engine problem in something like 50 years of vehicle ownership. The factory recommended viscosity is all I've ever used so it must be ok to do so.

View attachment 230163
No way I'm an expert on this subject but trying to understand the Engine Oil Viscosity Chart above. My interpretation of the chart is 5W-30 oil allow engine protection during cold startup for 20 degree F lower than 10W-30. Chart show 5W-30 protection sufficient down to -20 degree F and 10W-30 protection good down to 0 degree F. Base of those two scales, I would assume 15W-40 or 15W-50 should be good for a cold start temperature of 20 degree F. I wouldn't expect you would experience cold start engine damage by using 15W-40 or 15W-50 in temperatures above 20 degrees F base on the charts.

No way I'm an expert on this subject but trying to understand the Engine Oil Viscosity Chart above. My interpretation of the chart is 5W-30 oil allow engine protection during cold startup for 20 degree F lower than 10W-30. Chart show 5W-30 protection sufficient down to -20 degree F and 10W-30 protection good down to 0 degree F. Base of those two scales, I would assume 15W-40 or 15W-50 should be good for a cold start temperature of 20 degree F. I wouldn't expect you would experience cold start engine damage by using 15W-40 or 15W-50 in temperatures above 20 degrees F base on the charts.
Run whatever you want, it's your Jeep. I've explained my personal preferences, it's up to you what you think is best for your engine.

Now you have gone and got us all confused again, my brain hurts after that!
Looks like I need 15w40 diesel oil in my 4.0 for my climate lol
If you run a 0w-40, you will have the cold and hot covered.

Not sure what you have available, but the M1 Euro Car version here has a decent dose of ZDDP for the flat tappets as well.