Could steering slop impacting first gear and reverse?

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
98 SE 2.5L 5spd with 85,000 miles. Since purchasing in January I have removed 35”/12.50” MT’s and 3” of body lift. It now has 33”/11.50” stock JK sports and 4” of suspension lift. I have replaced the tie rod, drag link, stabilizer, and sway bar links. It’s also had two alignments along the way.

Ever since I bought the Jeep, shifting into 1st gear or reverse at still is a challenge. Rolling is much easier. For instance, I can shift into 1st rolling up to a stop with no issues. If I come to a complete stop, it gives me trouble. I can often shift into 4th at a stop and then 1st or reverse becomes a bit more friendly.

My first assumption was pressure plate/throw out bearing were past life and it was time for a new clutch. However I’m wondering if the over-the-top lift and wheel/tire setup and resulting stress on the steering may have some sort of impact as well. I haven’t done anything to the steering box or shaft.

Is this purely a clutch issue and I just need to replace it, or should I be evaluating the steering instead?

I don't see how anything steering related would affect shifting... I may lean towards the master/slave cylinder... Fluid level? How does the clutch pedal feel?

98 SE 2.5L 5spd with 85,000 miles. Since purchasing in January I have removed 35”/12.50” MT’s and 3” of body lift. It now has 33”/11.50” stock JK sports and 4” of suspension lift. I have replaced the tie rod, drag link, stabilizer, and sway bar links. It’s also had two alignments along the way.

Ever since I bought the Jeep, shifting into 1st gear or reverse at still is a challenge. Rolling is much easier. For instance, I can shift into 1st rolling up to a stop with no issues. If I come to a complete stop, it gives me trouble. I can often shift into 4th at a stop and then 1st or reverse becomes a bit more friendly.

My first assumption was pressure plate/throw out bearing were past life and it was time for a new clutch. However I’m wondering if the over-the-top lift and wheel/tire setup and resulting stress on the steering may have some sort of impact as well. I haven’t done anything to the steering box or shaft.

Is this purely a clutch issue and I just need to replace it, or should I be evaluating the steering instead? I’m

Is this purely a clutch issue and I just need to replace it, or should I be evaluating the steering instead?
Howdy
• have you tried double clutching ?
• just for troubleshooting sakes
• Even though you have removed the body lift, make certain there’s nothing restricting your actual gear shifter
• remove the shifter boot completely , take a good look at how much clearance there is between the body and the shifter plus take your rig for a drive
• you’ll notice quickly if there’s something limiting your shifter
• I’ve seen worn out tranny mount causing grief for tranny shifting

Keep us posted what ya find

~•lllllll•~👋🏿

• have you tried double clutching ?
• just for troubleshooting sakes
• Even though you have removed the body lift, make certain there’s nothing restricting your actual gear shifter
• remove the shifter boot completely , take a good look at how much clearance there is between the body and the shifter plus take your rig for a drive
• you’ll notice quickly if there’s something limiting your shifter
• I’ve seen worn out tranny mount causing grief for tranny shifting

Keep us posted what ya find

~•lllllll•~👋🏿
Thanks for the thoughts. I do also get a fair amount of torque-steer (?) when I shift at speed and my shop did replace a trans mount saying it was bad. Wondering how many trans mounts there are. It does seem like the jack@$$ who owned this thing previously did monkey quite a bit with the shape of the gear selector when the body was lifted (AFAIK there isn’t a shifter extension).

Good clutch pedal pressure and it seems like it has consistent throw so I haven’t given much thought to the fluid system.

Thanks for the thoughts. I do also get a fair amount of torque-steer (?) when I shift at speed and my shop did replace a trans mount saying it was bad. Wondering how many trans mounts there are. It does seem like the jack@$$ who owned this thing previously did monkey quite a bit with the shape of the gear selector when the body was lifted (AFAIK there isn’t a shifter extension).

Good clutch pedal pressure and it seems like it has consistent throw so I haven’t given much thought to the fluid system.
Hi again
In your case , I’d find a real JEEPAHOLIC to do a thorough bumper to bumper inspection on your rig
• I wouldn’t be surprised if it boils down to basics outta specs
• as mentioned before, keep us posted

~•lllllll•~👋🏿

Reactions: jrmcafee
Hi again
In your case , I’d find a real JEEPAHOLIC to do a thorough bumper to bumper inspection on your rig
• I wouldn’t be surprised if it boils down to basics outta specs
• as mentioned before, keep us posted

~•lllllll•~👋🏿
I don’t know how many of those there are here in rural West TN. I’m sure there are plenty but I’m not connected to the community. I may have to find someone like @AndyG or @Midtenn passing through at some point.

Any idea what lube is in the trans? When my AX5 had 80/90 It was not easy to get into gear when stopped and just plain hard to shift in winter till you drove a bunch. Serviced it with 10/30 and it shifts real nice now. Also if the PO frequented places like jiffy lube, they are notorious for selling their BS gold package or whatever they call it. This involved dumping all the specified lubes in your trans,T case and diffs and adding their bargain basement crap. I can just about guarantee they put GL5 in the trans which kills syncros. Id R&R the trans fluid with Redline MTL or 10/30 and see what you get.

Reactions: jrmcafee