Could this be the oil pressure sensor?

KingCarGuyZ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
2001 4.0, 5spd 260,0000miles

driving down the road on the way back from school, and the “check gauges” buzzer and light come on, look down and my oil pressure is >20 (it’s normally between 40 and 60 all the time). Freak out, pull over and look for leaks, check the oil (right where it’s supposed to be) run the engine, listen for odd noises. Nothing. Drive the Jeep cautiously back home. And she made it and seems fine, at this point I am reasonably confident the sending unit is junk, and needs replacing, does anyone know if this is another one of those “needs to be MOPAR” sensors or if a different brand will do?

looks like there >$20 on amazon.
Can’t seem to find a MOPAR PN that anyone has in stock.
Is there a good known replacement brand?

anyone think I am I correct in my diagnoses and something else is wrong? She made the 1/2 hour drive home fine, so I’m assuming the mechical side of things is ok and this is an electrics problem, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
so a little bit of an update, Drove the Jeep to school this morning in freezing temp. (basically the coldest it gets in TX) and the oil pressure gauge, came up to >20Lb on start, check gauges and the alarm, then when I drove around it want up to just below 40 and stayed there, curious..... (normally it's well over 40 more like 50-60). I'm hoping this is the death throws of the sensor (first time it gave me trouble last night was in the rain) and once I replace it AND, OR clean the connection we'll be good. might need to do a gauge check, and make sure to clean the contacts behind the dash when I replace the bulbs later.

I'm also about 200 miles away from an oil change, oil was already on the way for that so well see if that helps.

Best way to troubleshoot this would be with a manual gauge on the oil rifle.

That's where the OE oil pressure sensor plugs in, correct?. Does anyone know the thread size and pitch?
While it's possible to thread a different kind of sender and install an aftermarket gauge, it'd be a lot easier to just replace the OEM sender with another OEM sender. They can and do go out and a replacement is the usual fix. Just make sure not to use a store brand sensor, they are notorious for causing problems. Install a Mopar and be done with it.

I took the Jeep to lunch after wiggling the connection to the Oil pressure sensor, and Now it reads specifically, and most of the time nothing at all, with the "check gauges" light on full time. yet ore clues the sensor has bummed out, hopefully, the new one will get here mid-day tomorrow and I can swap it out.