Couple of questions regarding gear ratios and axles

spieta82

Ok, so as everyone knows I know barely anything about jeeps... well we were out today disconnecting the guys ham radio for him as he wanted it back lol and I figured I’d take a look and try and figure out what axles she has - seems to be stock on both front and rear... having read about this I’ve seen it stated that those are no good for off-roading, which confuses me as this guy definitely used her for that!
Also he doesnt recall the gear ratio, only could tell me its set up for both off road and general... she can’t go above 60 because of this... any ideas how I figure this out? And how I know what I can or can’t do with her because I don’t wanna busy it first playtime hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few more details will help us first! Year, engine, transmission type (manual or automatic) and tire size would be really helpful!

I'm not 100% on this but I believe all Wrangler came with a Dana 30 front axle EXCEPT for the Rubicons which come with a Dana 44. The rear axle is either a Dana 35 or Dana 44.

I'm surprised the speed is limited to 60mph, that would tell me a 3-speed automatic with some really short/tall gearing (I can never remember the correct term but a gearing that is a higher number).

If you can give us some more information we can help out!

Thanks
-Grant

Hi @spieta82

You can look at the axle cover and see if the stock gear ratio ID plate still in place. This will tell you the ratio the Jeep was shipped out the plant with.
Other way is opening the diff cover and rotate the gear until the ration id numbers are locate. With that info or a picture of it will be more easier to assist you.
Or if you like to be little more exact, its few Youtube videos that shows how to decipher the gear ratio counting the Axle and Pinion turns.

The stock gears are good for offroad to a point of course, no let some stories to confuse you. The major problem become when tire size is upgraded and the Jeep is a DD but, still is not that bad as fellas state.

I do still using the OEM 3.73 with 35" tires and I do wheel it hard without any issues but, i does not DD it.

A few more details will help us first! Year, engine, transmission type (manual or automatic) and tire size would be really helpful!

I'm not 100% on this but I believe all Wrangler came with a Dana 30 front axle EXCEPT for the Rubicons which come with a Dana 44. The rear axle is either a Dana 35 or Dana 44.

I'm surprised the speed is limited to 60mph, that would tell me a 3-speed automatic with some really short/tall gearing (I can never remember the correct term but a gearing that is a higher number).

If you can give us some more information we can help out!

Thanks
-Grant

Sorry! She’s a 2003, 4.0 litre, manual transmission.
It’s Dana 30 front and 35 rear.

Didn’t even think to pop that up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk