Couple questions about new-to-me 2005 X

Teutonic Fury

Supporting Member
Recently bought a 2005 Wrangler X 6sp for my daughter. One owner - 51k miles. First wrangler for me/her.

It has 16" aluminum 5-spoke factory jeep wheels and 245/75R16 tires, in great shape I might add. Spare is aluminum w same tire size. I know the tires are an upgrade but Question 1: Were aluminum wheels an option on the X or did this guy put these on? My Google Fu says 215/75R15 steel wheels was the standard equipment.

Worrying that the bigger tires would lead to a speedometer discrepancy, I downloaded an app and checked my speed. Looks to be 1-2 mph slower actual speed than indicated at 75-80 mph so no big deal.

I haven't gotten under it to see if I can see the gear ratio tab on the Dana 35, but I'm guessing a 3.07? Wasn't that standard? Question 2: If so, is the fact that 6th gear feels pretty punchless and useless except on flat highways at high speed normal or an indicator that smaller tires or a lower gearing would be better? I realize either would be an expensive option.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, aluminum wheels were standard on most Wranglers. However, being an X model (the barebones model), yours likely did have steel wheels from the factory and someone upgraded to a set of aluminum ones off a higher model Wrangler (i.e. Sport, Sahara, Rubicon). Actually, the fact that you said your tire is a 16" tire suggests you have Rubicon Moab wheels, as the Rubicon is the only model that came with factory 16" wheels.

Pictures would help us of course.

If you have 3.07 gears, then life will suck no matter what. That is the worst gear ratio that came in any TJ, and that would of course explain why your 6th gear feels useless, as you're not cruising at the right highway RPMs (which is generally around 2500 RPM or so).

Re-gear that thing and it will totally transform the way it drives.

Yep, those are 16" Moab wheels which only came on 03-06 Rubicon models. Definitely not factory for your X.

Nice looking wheels, but you'll soon find the tire selection for 16" wheels is terrible, which is why a lot of us switch to 15" or 17" wheels. There is a much bigger selection of tires (and better prices) for those wheel sizes. 16" just never caught on for some reason.

Still, I love the look of the Moab wheels on a TJ, hands down my favorite.

Yep, those are 16" Moab wheels which only came on 03-06 Rubicon models. Definitely not factory for your X.

Nice looking wheels, but you'll soon find the tire selection for 16" wheels is terrible, which is why a lot of us switch to 15" or 17" wheels. There is a much bigger selection of tires (and better prices) for those wheel sizes. 16" just never caught on for some reason.

Still, I love the look of the Moab wheels on a TJ, hands down my favorite.

Thanks. I know enough about gear ratios to know that lower gears means lower MPG. This Jeep isn't going serious off road while it's hers. What's a happy medium? 3.73?

And since I got you here, can you tell me why I seem to be looking at the same soft top/hardware kit on Amazon and Quadratec and one is $850.00 and the other is $1450.00? Am I missing something? They both say it's a complete kit w door surrounds and hardware, etc.

Thanks. I know enough about gear ratios to know that lower gears means lower MPG. This Jeep isn't going serious off road while it's hers. What's a happy medium? 3.73?

And since I got you here, can you tell me why I seem to be looking at the same soft top/hardware kit on Amazon and Quadratec and one is $850.00 and the other is $1450.00? Am I missing something? They both say it's a complete kit w door surrounds and hardware, etc.

Lower gears aren't going to equal lower MPG. You want your cruising RPMs to be above 2000 RPM at highway speeds. That's actually going to get you slightly better MPG of anything, because you're going to have the engine where it wants to be, as oppose to lugging around below 2000 RPM, where it's actually struggling.

See this thread for the table on which gear ratio you should choose:
What gear ratio should I install in my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ? (and other re-gearing FAQs)

That takes into account which transmission you have, engine, and tire size. All important factors in determining the proper gear ratio.

Post the links to said soft top kits.

Chances are the Quadratec one is their in-house brand, and the Amazon one is the Bestop brand (which is the OE supplier to Jeep).

The Bestop tops are more expensive (because they are OEM), but they are hands down better than anything else on the market.

If you post the links I can quickly tell you why one is drastically more expensive than the other (I'm guessing it's made of Sailcloth).

Lower gears aren't going to equal lower MPG. You want your cruising RPMs to be above 2000 RPM at highway speeds. That's actually going to get you slightly better MPG of anything, because you're going to have the engine where it wants to be, as oppose to lugging around below 2000 RPM, where it's actually struggling.

See this thread for the table on which gear ratio you should choose:
What gear ratio should I install in my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ? (and other re-gearing FAQs)

That takes into account which transmission you have, engine, and tire size. All important factors in determining the proper gear ratio.

Post the links to said soft top kits.

Chances are the Quadratec one is their in-house brand, and the Amazon one is the Bestop brand (which is the OE supplier to Jeep).

The Bestop tops are more expensive (because they are OEM), but they are hands down better than anything else on the market.

If you post the links I can quickly tell you why one is drastically more expensive than the other (I'm guessing it's made of Sailcloth).

I'm such a newb. I appreciate the help. "Twill" was the difference. Is the Denim going to look more "gray?"

Last question - for now - those 245/75R16's are 30.5" diameter according to a tire size calculator. So, do I speak of that as a 31" tire for figuring out gearing?

I'm such a newb. I appreciate the help. "Twill" was the difference. Is the Denim going to look more "gray?"

Last question - for now - those 245/75R16's are 30.5" diameter according to a tire size calculator. So, do I speak of that as a 31" tire for figuring out gearing?

Denim will look a bit more grey, yes (though it is still black). Black Diamond is the color that looks as black as can be.

Those 245s are more like a 30" believe it or not, so I would consider them a 30".

Recently bought a 2005 Wrangler X 6sp for my daughter. One owner - 51k miles. First wrangler for me/her.

It has 16" aluminum 5-spoke factory jeep wheels and 245/75R16 tires, in great shape I might add. Spare is aluminum w same tire size. I know the tires are an upgrade but Question 1: Were aluminum wheels an option on the X or did this guy put these on? My Google Fu says 215/75R15 steel wheels was the standard equipment.

Worrying that the bigger tires would lead to a speedometer discrepancy, I downloaded an app and checked my speed. Looks to be 1-2 mph slower actual speed than indicated at 75-80 mph so no big deal.

I haven't gotten under it to see if I can see the gear ratio tab on the Dana 35, but I'm guessing a 3.07? Wasn't that standard? Question 2: If so, is the fact that 6th gear feels pretty punchless and useless except on flat highways at high speed normal or an indicator that smaller tires or a lower gearing would be better? I realize either would be an expensive option.

Thanks in advance.
16" Moabs from a Rubicon.

3.07 was standard on the X. 3.73 gears would be good for up to 31" tires. You could probably find some TJ axles with the 3.73 on CL or in a junkyard somewhere for cheap. I sold my rear Dana 35 in 3.73 earlier this year here in TX for $200.

Keep the hardtop, get a hoist and enjoy the Jeep. I personally did not like a soft top on mine. They are loud and obnoxious. Granted, I had a Rampage cheapo.

Fix the front bumper. That diamond plate is yuck. Get rid of the milk jugs too. Get rid of those shiny nerf bars. My .02c.

Nice Jeep!

3.07 was standard on the X. 3.73 gears would be good for up to 31" tires. You could probably find some TJ axles with the 3.73 on CL or in a junkyard somewhere for cheap. I sold my rear Dana 35 in 3.73 earlier this year here in TX for $200.

Keep the hardtop, get a hoist and enjoy the Jeep. I personally did not like a soft top on mine. They are loud and obnoxious. Granted, I had a Rampage cheapo.

Fix the front bumper. That diamond plate is yuck. Get rid of the milk jugs too. Get rid of those shiny nerf bars. My .02c.

Nice Jeep!
any soft top is going to be loud regardless i hate to say, I have a trek top soft top and its not as loud at the rampage but its not much quieter.

Nice Jeep!
also I would over gear your diff because it would be less likely that your diff would blow on 4.10s and plus its nice to know that if you ever want to go bigger it will be no problem. 4.10s will be good up to 35" I wouldnt go any bigger. to add to that it has upped my MPG substantially, I am running 33" tires and its 300 miles to a tank. I was running 3.07s before it blew and it was getting less than 200.

Definitely keeping the hard top. Just would like soft top also. "Milk jugs" - had to google that.

It's got diamond plate on the rear bumper also. And on the sides as you can see. I'll consider removing, but worried about functionality parts first.

Reactions: JMT
also I would over gear your diff because it would be less likely that your diff would blow on 4.10s and plus its nice to know that if you ever want to go bigger it will be no problem. 4.10s will be good up to 35" I wouldnt go any bigger. to add to that it has upped my MPG substantially, I am running 33" tires and its 300 miles to a tank. I was running 3.07s before it blew and it was getting less than 200.
Uh, no. You’d need 488’s for 35’s with that transmission. And 410’s wouldn’t be any stronger. And way more expensive

Reactions: Alex01
Uh, no. You’d need 488’s for 35’s with that transmission. And 410’s wouldn’t be any stronger. And way more expensive
My 4.10s have been nothing but good to me but take it from someone who know more about gearing lol. I’m just here for a good time and a long time.

For proper gear ratio calculations go to

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Put in your transmission, TCase, engine, tire size, et al.

RPMs in 6th at 70 mph should be in the 2500-3000 range. If not you’ll be downshifting all the time on hills and won’t have power to pass.