Cracked Radiator Question

premedjeep

I know there are multiple threads on this but couldn’t find exact answers to my questions. Noticed this crack in the plastic top of my radiator (‘04 TJ 4.0 man.) and am wondering if the top cap comes off and can be replaced or does the whole damn radiator need replacing? Any advice on best radiator to get? Is aluminum Murray advisable? Thanks

IMG_2799.jpeg

IMG_2798.jpeg

Reactions: John Cooper
Radiator shops used to replace the end tanks and o rings. I'm not aware of any that do now.

So, new rad.

There are a couple of ongoing threads on which brands are holding up.

I’ve got a denso stashed away for the day mine needs replacing. $138 from rockauto. Old friend of mine always told me if you got the parts waiting to be
replaced they will never fail. Holding my breath🫣

Yep new radiator time. My dealer tried having my top tank replaced by the local radiator repair shop 2-3 times but they could never get the seal to hold for a day or two. Avoid store brand radiators!!! If you can't find a Mopar I'd go for a Denso.

Put a Denso on a few months ago. No issues at all. Thread in and out the bolts in the frame on the new radiator before installing. Also you can start the bottom bolts and then rest the radiator on them while starting the others. The holes on the bottom are slotted.

I paid 150 or so on Amazon. Napa was around 300 IIRC.

Last edited:
Hey guys I appreciate all the feedback! You guys are the best. I ended up getting the Murray from O’Reilly. I know it’s not OEM, but I was unable to locate any Mopars. Everything went smoothly and it’s running great now. Whew. Also replaced the t stat and the cap. I just used the gasket that fits the t stat housing, and no RVT. Probably fine right? It’s not leaking. Curious what the advice is on when to use the felt gasket and if RVT with it is necessary.

IMG_2821.jpeg

IMG_2805.jpeg

IMG_2823.jpeg

Hey guys I appreciate all the feedback! You guys are the best. I ended up getting the Murray from O’Reilly. I know it’s not OEM, but I was unable to locate any Mopars. Everything went smoothly and it’s running great now. Whew. Also replaced the t stat and the cap. I just used the gasket that fits the t stat housing, and no RVT. Probably fine right? It’s not leaking. Curious what the advice is on when to use the felt gasket and if RVT with it is necessary.

View attachment 503925

View attachment 503926

View attachment 503927

I know people who insist on rtv with the thermostat housing gasket, but i always just use a felpro gasket with no rtv. The only time mine has leaked has been with rtv. My only major rule on these gaskets is that I avoid the peel and stick ones at all costs.

Reactions: D's Jeep Wrld
I know there are multiple threads on this but couldn’t find exact answers to my questions. Noticed this crack in the plastic top of my radiator (‘04 TJ 4.0 man.) and am wondering if the top cap comes off and can be replaced or does the whole damn radiator need replacing? Any advice on best radiator to get? Is aluminum Murray advisable? Thanks

View attachment 503757

View attachment 503758

I had a reputable radiator shop replace my top tank on my 06 Rubicon. I have used them for years and never had any problems.

I also purchased a new radiator just to have a spare incase my OEM goes out again.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I know people who insist on rtv with the thermostat housing gasket, but i always just use a felpro gasket with no rtv. The only time mine has leaked has been with rtv. My only major rule on these gaskets is that I avoid the peel and stick ones at all costs.

When I work on the thermostat or housing I always ensure the mating surfaces are cleaned thoroughly and use a Felpro thermostat gasket that has RTV impregnated in the gasket material.

After taking a closer look at the picture posted by the OP; the mating surface on the head for the thermostat housing has quite a few scratches and scrapes which could affect the sealing of the housing

Last edited:
After taking a closer look at the picture posted by the OP; the mating surface on the head for the thermostat housing has quite a few scratches and scrapes which could affect the sealing of the housing

That's what the gasket is for. I've seen far worse seal just fine.

I like the Felpro thermostat gaskets too.

That's what the gasket is for. I've seen far worse seal just fine.

IF you do a search for this topic on the Forum; there are quite a few posts concerning the thermostat housing not sealing properly due to scratches and scrapes in the mating surfaces. The gasket should be given a clean surface without scratches where seepage can occur.

Reactions: WVJeep304
IF you do a search for this topic on the Forum; there are quite a few posts concerning the thermostat housing not sealing properly due to scratches and scrapes in the mating surfaces. The gasket should be given a clean surface without scratches where seepage can occur.

Many years ago, when I first replaced the thermostat, I was not able to get the housing to seal. After several tries, I ended up lapping the housing seal surface flat with wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of plate glass. That solved the sealing problem.

Reactions: CharlesHS
Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford

I wouldn't worry about that one. I've seen far worse on a wide range of vehicles. I usually clean most gasket surfaces with a roloc disk, clean well, then reassemble.