Cracked transfer case housing

Earl B

TJ Enthusiast
Recovering from hip replacement and unable to get under my 1998 auto Sport for a few more weeks. Drove it to a Jiffy lube to change the oil because I have not drove it in a year and a half. I bought this Jeep wrecked at a auction and do not have any of its history. The guy that changed it said that the lower drain plug of the case was cracked from the plug outward. Has anybody heard of that and can I buy a case cover to replace in the future? Maybe one from a wrecked Jeep? I'm not sure about buying anything from Ebay, but they used show used transfer cases there used. I have issues with buying used things online. Of course I bought a TJ sight unseen on a online auction.

Reactions: TJTJ04
After verifying that it is in fact cracked, I would probably check with the folks at ( https://daveysjeeps.com) for a used part. I've had really good luck with parts from them. You might have to buy a whole TC and salvage that part of the case. Best of luck with your repair.

X2, double check that it is in fact, cracked. Guys at JL will do anything to try and make another buck or two off its customers. The 231 is actually a pretty stout unit.

You can find plenty of 231's on craigslist and Facebook market place, case wise, they are all the same it's just the splines that vary between vehicle. Find a cheap one and swap the cases.
Thanks for the input. I have a lot to do under the jeep when I'm able. Right now just getting ready for the streets and maybe logging roads. I moved to Greenbrier three years ago. Maybe I will see you on the streets.

Reactions: S.McArthur
moved to Greenbrier
I actually live in Coopertown but have a Greenbrier address, I do drive through Greenbrier to my hunting spots closer to White House. My wife is one of the High School Dance team coaches, I know the area very well.
If you need some help let me know, I stay pretty busy but I can try and help when I can.

X2, double check that it is in fact, cracked. Guys at JL will do anything to try and make another buck or two off its customers. The 231 is actually a pretty stout unit.
To understand that correctly, If that’s true, You're saying JL will replace transfer cases? That’s why they are trying to say its cracked?

I didn't know Jiffy Lube did that much intrusive work with drivetrains.

231 cases are known to crack and even shatter

To understand that correctly, If that’s true, You're saying JL will replace transfer cases? That’s why they are trying to say its cracked?

I didn't know Jiffy Lube did that much intrusive work with drivetrains.

231 cases are known to crack and even shatter

I am saying JL is shady and will try and perform work when it isn't needed. That isnt anything new, they have a horrible reputation. Sure, a 231 can shatter if a ujoint seizes. OP stated they told him it was cracked at the fill plug. He needs to verify that or have JL show him.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The fill plugs are NPT tapered plugs and if you overtighten them, the taper will crack the casting around the hole. In fact, there is a warning to not overtighten them right on the case.

Reactions: reddvltj
I am saying JL is shady and will try and perform work when it isn't needed. That isnt anything new, they have a horrible reputation. Sure, a 231 can shatter if a ujoint seizes. OP stated they told him it was cracked at the fill plug. He needs to verify that or have JL show him.
Sounds like (I know, total speculation...) they identified a known issue with 231 cases as I stated. Its prone to having this issue. A prime example of how they are the opposite of shady.

Just giving you a hard time. I knew you knew they were prone to cracking and the JL was not what you claim them to be. Some people in this world are honest and have your vehicle’s best interest in mind. But love the trust but verify approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Feel free to take their word on it if you ever find yourself in that position. I'd double check any any of their invoices and/or work.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jif...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
But your jeep, your money, your choice
I do my own work and the shop I work at is honest.
I see from your search, that California stores all owned by the same family got a bad rap. Doesn’t mean they are all bad. There are good people out there in this world.

Didn't mean to start a problem. I'm healing up from surgery and can't get under it now. Trying to buy some parts so I can hit the ground running. I have trust issues and until I can see it and touch it, I don't believe it. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can right now. I was under the jeep eighteen months ago and I did not see it. Everything will work out in its time.

Now you've done it .

You have a new hip, your transfer case drain plug got overtightened and cracked the case , there now has to be a federal investigation on Jiffy Lube , and none of us no longer talk to each other . From now on we just type words and hit "post reply."

I was here the day the forum fell apart .

I see transfer cases getting sold for the $100 range here all the time. They come out of older Jeeps (especially Cherokees) being parted out. You just have to make sure it's the same model transfer case or a better one.

Feel free to take their word on it if you ever find yourself in that position. I'd double check any any of their invoices and/or work.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jif...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
But your jeep, your money, your choice

The one time I took the Jeep to get an oil change at one of the chain shops, I specifically told them to only change the oil. Don't touch anything else. Shortly after, I get presented with a sampler tray of all of my Jeep's fluids. The guy points to a dark chunk on the tray and tells me the differential is trashed and that I need a new one. I pick it up, squeeze and stretch the dark chunk of RTV and remind him that I told him specifically to only change the oil and not to touch anything else. Then I explain what RTV silicone is and how it is used in a differential. Later before I left, I drained a whole bunch of air out of the tires.

The t case may very well be cracked, but the one of last places I would trust to tell me this is an oil change shop. Always confirm if you are able to.

Reactions: tworley
I see transfer cases getting sold for the $100 range here all the time. They come out of older Jeeps (especially Cherokees) being parted out. You just have to make sure it's the same model transfer case or a better one.
Hello sir. I searched transfer case and your post surfaced. My son is in need of a NP 251J transfer case. He has a 1998 tj and the casing came apart. Would you be able to give me some guidance in locating one? Thank you in advance for your help.

Wow. that’s a very bold statement.
Any proof or you just running your mouth?
It's not just him saying it, Jiffy Lube specifically and some other quick lube places have earned a terrible reputation for doing anything they can to get more unwarranted $$$ out of their customers. They have been on many TV news programs where investigative reporters were sent in with vehicles that were inspected ahead of time without any work needing to be done. They continue to catch Jiffy Lube claiming extra unnecessary work is required.

My personal story... I normally changed the engine oil in my wife's Lexus but this once I took it to our local Jiffy Lube. I had just installed a new air filter a week or so before I took it to Jiffy Lube. So I'm sitting in the waiting room when the manager walked in and said said the air filter was nearly completely plugged with dirt and it "was a miracle" the engine was running well at all. Immediately followed by saying they had a special going on air filters and they could replace it for "only $79.95". Yes, that much.

Suppressing a big shit-eating grin, I got up and started walking toward the door to the service bay area saying I wanted to see it. He said I couldn't go out there and I replied 'Try and stop me'. He followed me out and when I got to my wife's car I instructed/demanded they show me the plugged air filter. It got real quiet among them. It became clear they not only hadn't seen my air filter, they didn't even know how to get to it. A Lexus thing, it was accessed from the front of the engine. I opened it up and showed them my brand-new and still pristine clean air filter. They knew they had been caught red-handed in a big lie.

I really raised hell so the manager offered me a free service that day. Here's where it gets even better. Instead of draining my engine oil, they accidentally drained the transmission. They didn't have any ATF that met the Lexus spec so they had to go to the local Lexus dealer to get it and the bill for the ATF was something like $120 they had to pay for.

So I got a free oil change and new ATF but it was 2.5 hours before I finally got out of there. Never again will I even consider using a Jiffy Lube.

Last edited:
Hello sir. I searched transfer case and your post surfaced. My son is in need of a NP 251J transfer case. He has a 1998 tj and the casing came apart. Would you be able to give me some guidance in locating one? Thank you in advance for your help.

Sure its not an NP231j?

They've gone up some, but they are floating around on Facebook marketplace.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2000678713422190?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:adf5f3e5-5f3d-4d3f-aa45-24f1f556eae7

Otherwise, try car-part.com for a junk yard near you or craigslist.org.

Make sure it works with your transmission.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford