Cracks in the clear coat

01saharatj

The paint is showing it age 2001 wrangler.
Hoping to salvage paint by buffing out cracks. I do have a buffer but looking for type of compound or any recommendations on how to salvage. links online definitely a plus any help appreciated thanks

Hoping to salvage paint by buffing out cracks.

That's a big NO. Scratches can sometimes be buffed/polished out, but cracking is a failure of the material, i.e. paint and/or clear. Post a pic and lest see what you’re working with.

I do have a buffer but looking for type of compound or any recommendations on how to salvage.

Do you have a buffer or polisher, and how much experience with this stuff do you have? Not to be a smart ass, but if you have a buffer and are asking about paint correction, I suggest you leave it alone and go find a good polisher.

As to a product, I like Meguire's Professional series. Here's one of them, but it is a whole series of products from heavy cut to sealant. I can pick them up off the shelf at Oreillys here. https://www.meguiars.com/profession...zer-professional-fine-cut-cleaner-m0216-16-oz

When we see some pics of what you're working with, I can make more specific recommendations.

If they’re crows feet you’re screwed. I have used the Meguiars 110 and 210 and at least shined up the hood followed by regular waxing.

Sorry I took so long but here are some pics of the situation I’m dealing with

6602AD62-EB35-41E0-ADB0-CAA9918D91CC.jpeg

69BAB282-719A-4CB5-B242-8A0341510240.jpeg

14B8D3B6-95F7-4DC3-ADC1-084BB2FE96B7.jpeg

That's crows feet, so there is no salvaging it. My LJ has this issue on the hood. My BMW e30 had the same issue and when I had it resprayed it was recommended that the panels with crows feet be sanded down to bare metal.

Reactions: BlueC
Yep, that's a material failure. The only true fix is a strip and paint, which will quickly turn into doing the whole Jeep. If you do some basic paint correction and find a colored wax like AndyG said, you can hide it.

Yep, that's a material failure. The only true fix is a strip and paint, which will quickly turn into doing the whole Jeep. If you do some basic paint correction and find a colored wax like AndyG said, you can hide it.

Ok thanks