Craftsman at Lowe’s?

That’s what the guy at Lowe’s told me, he said they are probably going to phase them out. Silver lining could be some deals on them? Let’s just hope the quality of craftsman improves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. I hold onto my Craftsman USA collection. The Chinese stuff isn't horrible, but I've broken a lot more of the Chinese Craftsman stuff it seems, and they also don't seem to have the same fit and finish. Maybe it's all in my head, I don't know. Doesn't seem like it though.

The Craftsman name alone though is big money, I'll say that much.

Reactions: Rubirob
I had a fire 5 years ago and lost all my tools, replaced just about everything with Kobalt.
I have to say I've not been disappointed.

I'm well aware of Craftsman reputation but i guess that depends on who's the manufacturer.

That’s what the guy at Lowe’s told me, he said they are probably going to phase them out. Silver lining could be some deals on them? Let’s just hope the quality of craftsman improves!

I would pile on some Kobalt tools if they flushed them out! Nice stacked blue tool box all filled out for cheap....OK I woke up now.
kobalt.jpg

Reactions: Chris and b0xcar
Many years ago I gave up on the cheap Chinese made Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Kobalt, and many other brand name budget tools. For me, the savings isn't worth working with junk tools every time. I grew up with my Dad owning an auto repair business and got use to the feel and fit of professional tools.

Many years ago I gave up on the cheap Chinese made Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Kobalt, and many other brand name budget tools. For me, the savings isn't worth working with junk tools every time. I grew up with my Dad owning an auto repair business and got use to the feel and fit of professional tools.

So what do you use now? Snap on? For me it is all about frequency. I work on cars generally 2-3 times a year.. that is excluding your oil/fluid changes. Now that I have a Jeep I know I will tinker with it more just for fun. But it’s hard to justify spending 3-4 times as much on high end tools. I guess maybe buying a high end ratchet set just to have smoother/stronger ratchets might be worth it. If you can afford it then I suppose why not right?

Reactions: RussTJ

Do you use Snap-On or Mac tools now? I lust after their tools. The only reason I don't own them is because since I don't do auto repair for a living and I'm not always using my tools, I figure it probably doesn't make much sense from a financial standpoint.

Do you use Snap-On or Mac tools now? I lust after their tools. The only reason I don't own them is because since I don't do auto repair for a living and I'm not always using my tools, I figure it probably doesn't make much sense from a financial standpoint.

I agree, one day it would be cool to get even a basic set up from one of them! I can dream haha

Reactions: GrayGhost

As with most things....buy once, cry once.

Quality tools make a world of difference, and the differences are many. Comfort, easy of use, fitment, etc. With properly designed tools, the instances of wrench slippages, busted knuckles, rounding-off of fastener heads, et al are greatly reduced

Sk is pretty good and made in the USA. Dont rule out Matco too.

As with most things....buy once, cry once.

Quality tools make a world of difference, and the differences are many. Comfort, easy of use, fitment, etc. With properly designed tools, the instances of wrench slippages, busted knuckles, rounding-off of fastener heads, et al are greatly reduced

True, true! But I have a 700 piece Craftsman USA collection I bought well over a decade ago brand new. So it's serving me well for the time being!

True, true! But I have a 700 piece Craftsman USA collection I bought well over a decade ago brand new. So it's serving me well for the time being!
I have a 30+ yo set of Craftsman tools, US made, and I won't get rid of those. This is the set I have built my tool collection around. And as tools are needed, quality tools are added. It's much easier to add piece by piece, especially on the wallet.

I look at this as an investment, as well as something to be handed down to my kids. They've been turning wrenches almost as long as they've been able to hold them!

Reactions: Chris and Rubirob
I won't disagree, I borrowed a extra long set of snap on wrenches and they quickly removed a bolt that my cheapie could not get hold on...I said to myself I am going to start getting better tools...Even on Ebay the 10 piece set was $350.00. If I was a pro doing it for a living, no problem. As a hack in my garage, I can't justify a $10,000 tool set

craigslist, offerup and of course swap meets are great for buying snap-on and matco type brands.. still pricey but definitely not catalog pricey. Interesting thing.. a lot of used Snap-on tools whether it's a wrench or single socket will have someones name or type of s/n etched onto them.. guys that work in aviation or auto shops like to keep track of their prized possessions.

craigslist, offerup and of course swap meets are great for buying snap-on and matco type brands.. still pricey but definitely not catalog pricey. Interesting thing.. a lot of used Snap-on tools whether it's a wrench or single socket will have someones name or type of s/n etched onto them.. guys that work in aviation or auto shops like to keep track of their prized possessions.

My dad did that with all his old craftsman tools, he had his Initials on most of them. I have seen some good tools on those sites and places as well.

Reactions: GrayGhost
Check out pawn shops too. If you sift through the junk, you can sometimes find nice stuff. If I HAVE to buy an imported tool, Tektron has been pretty good. They are Taiwan made, and seem decent. I really need to spring for some decent sockets and ratchets. Working with a hodgepodge for years. They do ok, but I've broken a lot of stuff over the years. Who said buy once, cry once? Yeah...I'll have to delay jeep projects if I buy a ratchet set!

Maybe it's all in my head, but I always felt like Taiwan was a step above China in production quality of most things. I could be entirely wrong, that's just what I always figured.

Reactions: Rubirob
I have a 35+ year collection of tools, most being vintage Craftsman and Indestro (a now defunct U.S. tool manufacturer). It is rare that I ever find myself in need of a tool, but when I am, I seek out American made first. That being said, I have purchased some Kobalt tools that seem to be fairly well built. And they sure are pretty, aren't they? All shiny, and stuff...

I have a small toolbox full of various Chinese tools, and tools made in India (old Costco items) that I lend out to folks that have a reputation of never returning things. And as for Snap-On, I once had a set of their tools that would only halfway fill a shoebox. I traded them straight across for a '72 Olds Cutlass convertible! :thumbsup: