Craigslist buyer: How would you deal with this?

I only do face to face cash sales at a local business with cameras on the parking lot. I conceal carry and my wife is always "within range" should anything get weird.

I recently had a CL scammer text response for a vehicle I was selling. They kept asking me to call number other than the one they were texting me from. When I asked why, they said their battery was low. I called the other number and it was a Google phone number with a computer voice that wanted info from me. I called the 1st number and got no answer. I texted them that I would only talk and NOT text anymore. They kept wanting me to call the other number. It was very shady.

The "text only" deals are usually bots... scripts/programs running on a computer designed to respond based on word pattern recognition. Their initial contact is automated too... one person running these programs will send out contacts to thousands of CL listings per day while the guy sits back and waits for the sucker to bite.

Reactions: Jonas
When I sold my dodge I posted it on cumminsforum, the kid interested texted me asking questions and I said "Give me a call and I can answer", he eventually called but the communication thruought the sale was mostly texts, hated every bit of it.

And is it only me but has the Craigslist/Snapchat society completely destroyed the ART of buying?
Initials responses I get:
"What's you're bottom dollar"
"I can only give $__" (usually about 1/2 what I'm asking)

No initial asking about the item or condition. No actual phone conversation.
The one I see over and over "Is the price negotiable?" to which I invariably reply- "Why yes it is, how much more did you want to pay?"

The one I see over and over "Is the price negotiable?" to which I invariably reply- "Why yes it is, how much more did you want to pay?"

I am definitely trying that one next time. I hate when people ask anyhow: throw out a price, don't ask me for permission for you to low-ball me, because that's always what it is when someone asks.

I've had insultingly low offers before and countered with a price higher than I asked. Or there's the person who low-balls and then informs me about how I am asking too much for something and I'll never get it which always kills me because well... I have it, and you want it. There's normally some extra price built in to the asking cost anyhow, but if I wanted $80 I wouldn't ask for $80, I'd ask for $100, otherwise you'd counter with $60.

Oh, or the best one is when someone wants me to come down in price because they're gonna be driving from Dallas to San Antonio to get it. Sorry, your gas money is not my expense: I advertised this product in San Antonio, not Dallas. I'll happily ship it to you if you want to add money for shipping.

I am definitely trying that one next time. I hate when people ask anyhow: throw out a price, don't ask me for permission for you to low-ball me, because that's always what it is when someone asks.

I've had insultingly low offers before and countered with a price higher than I asked. Or there's the person who low-balls and then informs me about how I am asking too much for something and I'll never get it which always kills me because well... I have it, and you want it. There's normally some extra price built in to the asking cost anyhow, but if I wanted $80 I wouldn't ask for $80, I'd ask for $100, otherwise you'd counter with $60.

Oh, or the best one is when someone wants me to come down in price because they're gonna be driving from Dallas to San Antonio to get it. Sorry, your gas money is not my expense: I advertised this product in San Antonio, not Dallas. I'll happily ship it to you if you want to add money for shipping.
What's your bottom dollar? Tell me why I am supposed to negotiate with myself?

I have a number for most things I would sell. I don't sell much but if I do, it has a number that it is worth and if I don't get that number, I don't sell it.

I've had a few give me grief about that and I explain that I have a number and it will sell for that and in the case of something I don't actually want or need, I'll throw it away before I sell it less than my number. That isn't to say everyone should be that way, just the way I am.

Reactions: danof76

I have a number for most things I would sell. I don't sell much but if I do, it has a number that it is worth and if I don't get that number, I don't sell it.

I've had a few give me grief about that and I explain that I have a number and it will sell for that and in the case of something I don't actually want or need, I'll throw it away before I sell it less than my number. That isn't to say everyone should be that way, just the way I am.

"What's your bottom dollar" is annoying, I already listed a price, you make me an offer. I'll normally respond with such anyhow: "What are you willing to pay?" and if they refuse to give a number I'll just tell them my original price. Or, if they're an asshole, I'll raise the price as I mentioned before. Under no circumstances am I going to open a conversation with me countering my own original offer, come on, people.

"What's your bottom dollar" is annoying, I already listed a price, you make me an offer. I'll normally respond with such anyhow: "What are you willing to pay?" and if they refuse to give a number I'll just tell them my original price. Or, if they're an asshole, I'll raise the price as I mentioned before. Under no circumstances am I going to open a conversation with me countering my own original offer, come on, people.

That one pisses me off immensely as well. "What's your bottom dollar?"

Like you said, I listed a price, make me a damn offer or stop wasting my time. Seems like that happens all the time to me as well.

^Wow, I could have wrote this!
"By all means please allow me negotiate with myself"

I've got 4 aluminum semi wheels for sale. $440 thinking $400. Get a text when it's -20 Wednesday. "I can only give $70 each"
I told them: "today only I'll take that, what time can you make it down?"
Their response was: " in three days!"
They then texted asking about the condition.
My answer: "What difference does it make since you're only interested in price since that's the first thing you asked about"

I advertise vehicles on San Antonio CL fairly often and always get the "Where's Kerrville" question. I make it clear in the ad that they must come to Kerrville to see the vehicle but they always ask... "Can you meet me at I-10 & 1604 area". I just say "no" ... lol

I advertise vehicles on San Antonio CL fairly often and always get the "Where's Kerrville" question. I make it clear in the ad that they must come to Kerrville to see the vehicle but they always ask... "Can you meet me at I-10 & 1604 area". I just say "no" ... lol

This comes to mind:

Hey, we’re pretty close. I’m in Fredericksburg!

Usually when I get the question of what will you take, what is your bottom dollar, I respond with: Sure I will take half for the dirt bike. Which half do you want to buy, the front half or the back half? If that doesn't get them all fired up, then I usually ask if I can sleep with their wife...…….

Usually when I get the question of what will you take, what is your bottom dollar, I respond with: Sure I will take half for the dirt bike. Which half do you want to buy, the front half or the back half? If that doesn't get them all fired up, then I usually ask if I can sleep with their wife...…….
I have wished many times my neighbors would sell me half of their little ankle biting yap dog that barks incessantly so I could shoot my half.

I get the same crap in my construction business oddly enough.

I respond that we want them protected from fraud , and will gladly forward their information to the police department to get the ball rolling ...they freak out.

Also , on selling things , I just ask them to meet me at the police department .. seriously...it's public property.

and Blaine I am hoarder too! I have only sold one vehicle ever and it was a jeep 1 month ago and the kid wanted my bottom dollar, I wound up holding out, he never put a dime down and test drove it 3 times...

I get the same crap in my construction business oddly enough.

I respond that we want them protected from fraud , and will gladly forward their information to the police department to get the ball rolling ...they freak out.

Also , on selling things , I just ask them to meet me at the police department .. seriously...it's public property.
I do the same thing.....have them meet me in the CHP parking lot. I've had two people that didn't want to meet there. Good.....I sold to someone else.

I must be super lucky, I’ve never had an incident and every motorcycle or car sale, buying or selling, folks have come to my house or I’ve gone to theirs. I’ve met some great folks and kept up with a couple of them including the fellow that bought and then wrecked a 1983 BMW R-80. He lived but it hurt him. A combination of emails and phone calls sets up the meet and when I’m selling I’m rarely rude or impatient when that first lowball offer pops out, I just can’t be bitter when someone wants to feel out the bottom line.

When I'm buying, I am always prepared to pay the asking price. But I will almost always ask for less when we are face to face. If the answer is no, then I hand over the full amount. No further discussion on that front.

Reactions: lindsey97
I was selling a motorcycle once for $3800. I got an email stating "Ill give $1,000, where can we meet?"