Crank but no start P0032 & P0038 codes

starriinitess

Okay I am completely stumped. So I was driving fine and it suddenly went into limp mode and I barely got home. Shut it off and no start ever since. Only codes I'm getting is p0032 and p0038. Bank 1 of both sensors the heater control circuit is running high. Obviously that doesn't make any sense at all since I'm fairly certain both O2 sensors did not have issues simultaneously. So obviously I've got a wiring issue and I cannot find it to save my life.

I have checked the sensors which appear to be okay however there is a scuff mark on the tip of the camshaft sensor. I also am getting fuel I am getting a spark but if I put gas right into the throttle body I still don't start. I've also checked all the relays and they are fine.

I hate to admit that I am not very familiar with using a voltage reader so I can buy that and teach myself how to use it. But I figured I would at least throw it out here first and see if anybody has any ideas. 4 years ago the only thing I could do was check my oil, so I'm getting there LOL!

Thank you so much for responding. Yes I am aware through trial and error how my elusive 06 TJ has its own set of troubles and issues. I want to say she is a diamond in the rough but some days I swear it's like trying to find new wings for a pegasus when looking for parts.

Of every possible response, "PCM" is by far the last one I want to see. Fingers crossed that it is something far less tragic than the PCM. I've read enough about that nightmare to have legitimate fear

Fortunately if it is a bad PCM that's a very easily replaced part. 5-10 minutes with nothing needed but a small wrench, it's bolted onto the firewall immediately behind the battery. Mark will see this thread and respond, let's hope it's something that easily fixed.

From what I've read however a new PCM does not play well with existing parts and thus begins a whole new slew of codes
Not usually. If Mark determines after chatting with you that you have a bad PCM, you will receive a fresh PCM that is pre-programmed specifically for your model year TJ to be ready to go. It will not cause new problems or Check Engine lights.

@starriinitess The 05-06 TJ PCMs have several known issues:

O2 sensors showing bad when good, high transmission temperatures, a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold and 1600 codes which is ram failure on the pcm.
What was going on prior to the no start issue? How old is your battery? Have you checked all powers, grounds and anything hooked up aftermarket?

Thanks,

Mark

@starriinitess The 05-06 TJ PCMs have several known issues:

O2 sensors showing bad when good, high transmission temperatures, a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold and 1600 codes which is ram failure on the pcm.
What was going on prior to the no start issue? How old is your battery? Have you checked all powers, grounds and anything hooked up aftermarket?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark. Nothing else was going on at all and it was a nice day of back roads driving so nothing aggressive not highway and I pulled into a parking lot and it started to sputter then it stayed pretty much in limp mode until I got it home. Really rough running couldn't really get it any higher than 35 miles per hour. No other codes or hard shifting or issues at all. Everything was gone over with a fine tooth comb a year prior. The battery is only a year old and it's 1050 cold cranking cups. So the battery is perfect no issues there. I have checked all the wiring at least visually and inspected it. I have not hooked up anything new and never have.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I really appreciate any and I'll help that you can provide. Maybe before sending it to you is there any other ideas or thoughts you might have so I can rule out and troubleshoot

The hard shifting would only apply to an AT.

Mine's a 4.0, so not sure where your grounds are, but you can pull up the factory shop manual under references on this site and it will tell you where they are so that you can check them.

Be sure there's no corrosion on the battery cables.

Does the tach move off 0 when cranking? Are you positive you have spark?

You can unhook the O2 connectors and see if it will start, but I don't think that is the issue.

I am wondering if I might have a PCM that has developed a fault. A couple months ago, when I started up, the CEL came on. I did some troubleshooting on it and the codes said Low Power, and all the O2 heater control banks/sensors. Then after a while the CEL went off, as if it had been reset. The CEL stays off for a while then might come back on, sometimes when I start, other times just idling at a stop light. I had the O2 heater control sensors checked and they said they were good.

Mine is a 2005 TJ automatic, not experiencing the hard shift from gear 1 to 2 although Park to 1 is a jolt.

Do the symptoms above suggest PCM or could it be something else?

I am wondering if I might have a PCM that has developed a fault. A couple months ago, when I started up, the CEL came on. I did some troubleshooting on it and the codes said Low Power, and all the O2 heater control banks/sensors. Then after a while the CEL went off, as if it had been reset. The CEL stays off for a while then might come back on, sometimes when I start, other times just idling at a stop light. I had the O2 heater control sensors checked and they said they were good.

Mine is a 2005 TJ automatic, not experiencing the hard shift from gear 1 to 2 although Park to 1 is a jolt.

Do the symptoms above suggest PCM or could it be something else?

What O2 sensors are you using? Our jeeps are extremely particular to specific sensors, especially on the O2 side. You need to use NKT or NGK. Intermittent codes coming and going isn't all that out of the ordinary either. If it isn't the sensor, then I tend to suspect wiring as the next most likely culprit.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-official-jeep-wrangler-tj-oxygen-o2-sensor-thread.4068/

Also, I'm right down the road from you, and I'm constantly at my friends house in McKinney working on his XJ (Kenny Rogers, you've probably seen it around town).

What O2 sensors are you using? Our jeeps are extremely particular to specific sensors, especially on the O2 side. You need to use NKT or NGK. Intermittent codes coming and going isn't all that out of the ordinary either. If it isn't the sensor, then I tend to suspect wiring as the next most likely culprit.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-official-jeep-wrangler-tj-oxygen-o2-sensor-thread.4068/

Also, I'm right down the road from you, and I'm constantly at my friends house in McKinney working on his XJ (Kenny Rogers, you've probably seen it around town).

Hey there neighbor! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check and see what sensors I have. Will check out that link too. Thank you sir!

Hey there neighbor! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check and see what sensors I have. Will check out that link too. Thank you sir!

I don't normally make a big deal out of sensor brand, I've zero issues with parts store brands... but there's a video in that thread that explains why the NKT O2's work slightly differently than some other brands. It's not important why, but it is some of the only actual science I've ever seen that shows why one brand is required vs. some other brand.

@pipesndrums Good morning from sunny south Florida.

One of the known faults of your PCM is O2 sensor showing bad when good. There is a TSB on your jeep that you should make sure was performed that could resolve the issue. Otherwise, chances are your chances are very good that the pcm was failed you.

Other symptoms besides hard shift are: rough idle, mirrors shaking, 1600 codes (ram failure,) p0714, P0715 which the pcm thinks the transmission is anywhere from -300°F to over 3000°F.

You can call me at 866-888-7710 to discuss in further detail.

Best regards,

Mark Cantrell

I had the same issue with my 97. It's a 4.0L with a 5spd manual. I changed both O2 sensors because they were original and the CPS. I found Mopar old stock. Ran perfectly - no CEL after I swapped them out. Not sure if this is applicable on later years, hope this helps though

@pipesndrums Good morning from sunny south Florida.

One of the known faults of your PCM is O2 sensor showing bad when good. There is a TSB on your jeep that you should make sure was performed that could resolve the issue. Otherwise, chances are your chances are very good that the pcm was failed you.

Other symptoms besides hard shift are: rough idle, mirrors shaking, 1600 codes (ram failure,) p0714, P0715 which the pcm thinks the transmission is anywhere from -300°F to over 3000°F.

You can call me at 866-888-7710 to discuss in further detail.

Best regards,

Mark Cantrell

Thanks Mark! I checked the NHTSA and it has zero recalls resolved on the VIN, would that include a TSB? I do not have much from the previous owner to confirm what all was done tbh. Will plan to give you a call and go from there. Thank you sir.