Crank but no start

johnsonjf

i have a 98 TJ, 4.0 straight 6. After running without any major issues for the past 8 months my TJ decided it didn’t want to start today. It will crank but there is no spark coming out of the spark plug wires and nothing out of the coil to the distributor. I’m thinking my coil has gone bad, looks original. I’m considering installing an Accel coil on the stock distributor. I’m planning to later upgrade the entire ignition system to an Accel one but not at this time. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,
Jeff

i have a 98 TJ, 4.0 straight 6. After running without any major issues for the past 8 months my TJ decided it didn’t want to start today. It will crank but there is no spark coming out of the spark plug wires and nothing out of the coil to the distributor. I’m thinking my coil has gone bad, looks original. I’m considering installing an Accel coil on the stock distributor. I’m planning to later upgrade the entire ignition system to an Accel one but not at this time. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,
Jeff
Did it throw any engine codes ?

It was showing the engine miss code which it has been doing for some time. I’ve been trying to find it but couldn’t find any problems or loose wires. Today it also had 340, Camshaft Position, a distrubutor issue. I replaced the coil with a Borg Warner and new spark plug wires. Jeep fires right up and ided perfectly, no miss which I’ve been experiencing over the past 6 months.

Thanks,
Jeff

It was showing the engine miss code which it has been doing for some time. I’ve been trying to find it but couldn’t find any problems or loose wires. Today it also had 340, Camshaft Position, a distrubutor issue. I replaced the coil with a Borg Warner and new spark plug wires. Jeep fires right up and ided perfectly, no miss which I’ve been experiencing over the past 6 months.

Thanks,
Jeff
Nice work, it's a good feeling when your jeep runs like it's supposed to :)

I would not go with an aftermarket ignition coil. Within 6-9 months after replacing my Mopar coil with an aftermarket Screaming Demon ignition coil, it failed while 50 miles from nowhere in the middle of the desert. Fortunately someone in my wheeling group had a spare Mopar coil he gave me which stayed in the Jeep another 180k miles until that Jeep was stolen.

I have learned the hard way that for mission-critical items like radiators, sensors, water pumps, and ignition coils to stay with Mopar.

Edit: Too late but Borg Warner should be fine. :)

Reactions: KCsTJ
Well so much for it being fixed. Left me stranded in a grocery store parking lot 3 miles from the house. Same issue, crank but no start. I’ll check for codes once I get back home and can get my code reader.

Jeff

I’ve tried Amazon too, no luck. It appears the part has been discontinued and nobody seems to have them. A few months back I replaced the distributor for a different reason and it came with a new sensor. Since it was under a lifetime warranty from Autozone I replaced it yesterday. I dropped it in today and it still won’t start. I checked the timing, made sure it was TDC, and dropped it in correctly. Tried to start it again but still no luck. I didn’t spend much time on it but will try again tomorrow afternoon.

If this doesn’t work what is a good affordable ignition system people have been using on a stock 4.0L?

Thanks,
Jeff