Crankshaft position sensor and misfire code

clyankee

I know there are many threads on the issue, but need advice on next steps for issue.

Jeep continues to stall/sputter after driven about 30 minutes and to operating temperature. Gauges, go dead, pull over, restart and fine. Sometimes throws CPS code other times not. Sometimes throws both CPS code and Misfire, other time not.

What we have done:
Crankshaft position sensor - fixed for day. Non OEM.
Took to mechanic. Replaced camshaft position sensor. Said was fixed, Did same thing driving home.
Mechanic replaced Crankshaft position sensor. (said OEM) but not sure 100%
Worked fine 2 weeks. Problem returned although less frequent

Returned to shop.
Shop then replaced cam shaft synchronizer. to correct there discovered timing issue.

They tested prior to returning to me. Their equipment still has a signal fall out between cam and crankshaft sensor. Code intermittent. Then recommended Ecm. They got ecm unit installed, tested all and still have issue when it gets to running temp.
Shop put old ecm back in, and charged for only synchronizer part after 3 weeks with vehicle.

Gave vehicle back and recommends taking to dealer.

Next steps? Thoughts?

2005, TJ Rubicon 70k miles

Thank you

Last edited:
Where did they get the ECM (PCM)? There's been a lot of folks here that have tried a lot of companies with little success, however with all these same issues mine seems to have been ultimately the PCM and I went with the well regarded @Wranglerfix . He's up to chat (his number is on his site) and seems honest. I did later discover another issue (my fuel pump) that seemed like the same issue popping up again but had that on the shelf. I didn't throw back in the old PCM since that one would still drop my gauges and such - this one never has.

Here's a megathread on a bunch of customers, a few skeptics, and the owner of wranglerfix.com:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-06-pcm-issue-is-solved.21699/

IIRC gauges going dead is a telltale sign of a faulty PCM, but I'll let Mark decide--he is highly recommended on the forum

Reactions: rasband
IIRC gauges going dead is a telltale sign of a faulty PCM, but I'll let Mark decide--he is highly recommended on the forum

Autos:

* Hard shift 1st -> 2nd

Manuals:

* Gauges
* Random Stalling
* All 4 O2s

I think that's what I remember from our discussion - hopefully he shares more as he's probably seen more by now than when I ordered.

Reactions: tworley
Where did they get the ECM (PCM)? There's been a lot of folks here that have tried a lot of companies with little success, however with all these same issues mine seems to have been ultimately the PCM and I went with the well regarded @Wranglerfix . He's up to chat (his number is on his site) and seems honest. I did later discover another issue (my fuel pump) that seemed like the same issue popping up again but had that on the shelf. I didn't throw back in the old PCM since that one would still drop my gauges and such - this one never has.

Here's a megathread on a bunch of customers, a few skeptics, and the owner of wranglerfix.com:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-06-pcm-issue-is-solved.21699/
Great. Will reach out to them. I did read and thought I might go that route next. I do know but but highly doubt that went that direction. Thank u

Thanks all for input.

Interesting day today. Driving over bump, Low rpms triggered today. Same code, no missfire code. P0339 Crankshaft PS. Almost like a short.

New info from dealer....Although I still believe PCM and will reach out to @Wranglerfix

Dealer said the oil pump drive gear for 2005 with some build dates goes out and is a recalled part and per my vin never replaced. Seems unrelated, however found on google search and reading on this that when u replace this part you must.
have cam/crank checked. If that angle is excessive then engine camshaft needs replaced. Still skeptical on 15 year old vehicle.

Dealer is ordering me part at no charge, so do I wait this out prior to PCM or do u feel unrelated as well. Another week down!

Appreciate all thoughts. First time on forum and very helpful. @rasband @tworley @Rubicon88

UPDATE: Got back from the dealer yesterday. They did replace oil pump drive gear. Nope, they still had issue. They did have some timing issues and adjusted. Nope, still issues. They replaced crankshaft position sensor. Again, as we had already done. Nope, still issue. They started to talk flywheel. (was not going to do that) until @Wranglerfix

Then they made statement that the Tachometer started to drop when it would act up which led to camshaft . They pulled wire schematic. In this they found camshaft sensor, speed sensor, map sensor share 5volt reference yellow with pink tracer wire from pcm. tech noticed that the map sensor had after market jumper connector from the OE connector to sensor itself. When unplugged connector and jumper found the OE harness connector to have excessive corrosion build up and was burnt from resistance. They used aftermarket pigtail connector and spliced into harness. Conclusion that the map sensor connection was causing resistance in 5 volt reference making PCM believe timing and crankshaft faulty.

I can’t fully explain as I have not been under jeep yet. All of this and plug goes into or near transfer case. They said this would be the problem. So far all is working. Tech did 66 miles, no issue, We did 30 miles yesterday, 50 today no issue.

Hope this is it for now. Thanks again

UPDATE: Got back from the dealer yesterday. They did replace oil pump drive gear. Nope, they still had issue. They did have some timing issues and adjusted. Nope, still issues. They replaced crankshaft position sensor. Again, as we had already done. Nope, still issue. They started to talk flywheel. (was not going to do that) until @Wranglerfix

Then they made statement that the Tachometer started to drop when it would act up which led to camshaft . They pulled wire schematic. In this they found camshaft sensor, speed sensor, map sensor share 5volt reference yellow with pink tracer wire from pcm. tech noticed that the map sensor had after market jumper connector from the OE connector to sensor itself. When unplugged connector and jumper found the OE harness connector to have excessive corrosion build up and was burnt from resistance. They used aftermarket pigtail connector and spliced into harness. Conclusion that the map sensor connection was causing resistance in 5 volt reference making PCM believe timing and crankshaft faulty.

I can’t fully explain as I have not been under jeep yet. All of this and plug goes into or near transfer case. They said this would be the problem. So far all is working. Tech did 66 miles, no issue, We did 30 miles yesterday, 50 today no issue.

Hope this is it for now. Thanks again

So all in all did they change the wiring or the sensors. You g through the same problems with my 2006 wrangler