Creaking on right turns?

RockDog

Hello! I’ll just cut to the chase. Whenever I turn right in my TJ, there’s this horrible creaking sound.
I’ve narrowed it down to my body mounts I think... is there a specific way I’m supposed to lubricate them? Any suggestions would be great. I know it’s an old Jeep, and old Jeeps just make noise, but this is driving my off the walls.

What makes you think it's the body mounts? To my knowledge, they don't require lubrication. If they are indeed the source of your noise, I'd say it's time for replacement.

What makes you think it's the body mounts? To my knowledge, they don't require lubrication. If they are indeed the source of your noise, I'd say it's time for replacement.
I used WD40 around all of my suspension components with no luck. I sprayed my body mounts and the noise went away for a day or two. To replace them, do I need to lift the body off the frame or what?

Yep, you lift it up and the new mounts go in. I think crown sells a kit. The bolts can be a pain, rust on or around the bolts might be part of your problem. If you can get the bolts out it really isn't too difficult. The body just needs a little lift to get the new ones in one at a time.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Yes, you'll need just enough clearance to swap the old rubber piece for the new. No need to completely remove the body from the chassis though. Usually just loosening the mount bolts on both sides of the bad mount will give you enough room. Use a jack with a wood block, lift up on the bottom of the tub floor near the mount your working on. Take your time with the bolts, they're likely gonna fight you if they've never been apart.

Reactions: pagrey
Yep, you lift it up and the new mounts go in. I think crown sells a kit. The bolts can be a pain, rust on or around the bolts might be part of your problem. If you can get the bolts out it really isn't too difficult. The body just needs a little lift to get the new ones in one at a time.
Spray the bolts with Kroil for a few days before trying to remove them. If you get resistance when backing them out tighten them a bit and then try loosening them again. Loosen, tighten and repeat! go slowly so you don't bust any bolts.

Reactions: SvtLdr
An impact wrench will be your best friend here too.

I had something similar when I was making right turns. Ended up being the connection between the header and the exhaust pipe was loose and would complain-I am guessing due to frame twist or a combo of engine vibration and engine movement. Not really sure-tightening up all of the connections through the entire exhaust system resolved it. I am using copper anti-seize and copper nuts where possible on the exhaust, which I have never used on a Jeep before and maybe this contributed.