Creatine for muscle growth

2001slvrstntj

Cigar smokin, whiskey drinkin, meat smokin, jeeper
Supporting Member
All-

Any experience with this or any other supplement. If not comfortable talking in the forum please PM me. My son is 20 works out a ton and building muscle but is leaning towards using creatine so trying to get educated. I am reading up on it but thought this crowd might have experience.

Creatine absorbs water from what I understand which makes you look bigger but aren’t really gaining much strength. I used some for a while and when I stopped a lost a good amount of size. Our bodies create a certain amount but I don’t think there’s anything to gain with taking it.

I started using colostrum which is extracted from cows milk designed to start boosting the calfs’ immune system. A lot better to pair with eating and working out IMO because it’s sending nutrients to where they need to go.

All-

Any experience with this or any other supplement. If not comfortable talking in the forum please PM me. My son is 20 works out a ton and building muscle but is leaning towards using creatine so trying to get educated. I am reading up on it but thought this crowd might have experience.
I used that and everything short of steroids. Long story short, be very, very careful. Better to spend some bucks on a nutritionist and specialized athletic trainer. Supplements aren't regulated by the FDA. Some of it works, some doesn't and the long term side effects can be bad.

PM sent off you'd like to discuss in greater detail.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Around 18 is a great time to start in the gym, Natural test is through the roof. Creatine and a gram or more of protein per pound of body weight is not a bad idea. Creatine is actually a decent over the counter product. Keep that young man away from steroids what ever you do. They can be done safely. But have ruined alot of people.(Never touched them, But know who wished they never touched them afterwords). A consultation with a solid strength coach might not be a bad idea. I was 165 out of highschool, Wanted to start weight training out of curiousity and I ate everything , 3 yrs later after lifting heavy(5x5) program(not claiming its the best) I was 190 by the time and 190 all natty. Goodluck

Around 18 is a great time to start in the gym, Natural test is through the roof. Creatine and a gram or more of protein per pound of body weight is not a bad idea. Creatine is actually a decent over the counter product. Keep that young man away from steroids what ever you do. They can be done safely. But have ruined alot of people.(Never touched them, But know who wished they never touched them afterwords). A consultation with a solid strength coach might not be a bad idea. I was 165 out of highschool, Wanted to start weight training out of curiousity and I ate everything , 3 yrs later after lifting heavy(5x5) program(not claiming its the best) I was 190 by the time and 190 all natty. Goodluck

Great advice here. My 15 year old is wanting to gain and lift. I remember at 18 it being hard to gain. But I didn’t have the net and knowledge to do so.

Do it with a coach, learn and WORK FOR IT. It takes a lot of work and depending on genetics, you could see fast and awesome results or…be happy your in the gym and getting stronger.

I used to want to be a big power lifter.

But after I started MMA training, I wanted to be a faster man. 185-195 made me a weapon.

Now, I’d be happy at 210–215 and strong.

It’s a bitch getting old. I never took the needle. But knew many who did. If you don’t have the genes…and it’s not going to earn you millions (pro sports) it’s a waste of time.

I'm no expert, but when I bulked up, it came down to spending plenty of time in the gym, eating plenty and eating right (plenty of protein from various sources), drink lots of water, and a good night sleep. I played with some supplements, but honestly didn't notice any real difference, except my wallet being lighter. Only thing I was doing other than the stuff I mentioned was finding a good clean muscle builder/protein shake source, one after I worked out and one later in the evening. On the days I lifted, I drank two shakes a day, with one scoop of protein in each shake.

I’ve been powerlifting for about 6 years now and have trained with lots of strength athletes and body builders. Creatine and protein are both pretty common and safe supplements. Whether creative is helpful or not is debatable, but its safe to take. Beyond that, I’ve never found any (legal) supplements that really make a big difference. Biggest factors in gaining size or strength is nutrition, consistency in the gym, and proper sleep/recovery. Biggest thing that made a difference for me was finding a good coach, and finding a gym that caters to powerlifting (or bodybuilding, strongman, or whatever you’re training for). Training with more experienced and stronger people with similar goals really helped me a lot.

Creatine is the most studied and proven legal body building supplement. There's no doubt it works, and it's vary affordable. But the impact isn't major. It's far more important to get enough nutrition and rest. Beef is a good source of creatine.

Get the basic creatine monohydrate. The more expensive stuff isn't any better.

Pre-workout may contain creatine but that's a poor source. That stuff is mostly stimulants.

I must certainly would not recommend any healthy teenager use it. Rest, and plenty of it to allow the body and the hormones do their magic and a good high natural fat and protein diet is all you really need. For growth, heavy lift and low reps, and plenty of rest. I may also add that stretching, and natural motion stretches go a long way, specially while the body is growing(referring to the teenager) It will pay huge dividends down the line preventing injuries.

The human body IS a marvel and if allowed to work as intended, doesn't need much. I cannot stress enough how amazing EGGS are. Whole, hormone free eggs do wonders. BCAA for recovery, maybe, if your diet s not complete, or lack time to eat better.

Creatine for short term "pump" is ok if you are into it, but long term, not worth it. Get good sourced proteins and avoid soy proteins at least for teens. I know it is advertised as a good source, but I rather eat ten eggs raw, than deal with soy and the issues it can cause down the line.

As a teen working out I used to love a banana and peanut butter shake with eggs. Cannot get better and can even add cocoa powder. Easy to digest, has a ton of nutrition and fills you up. Just saying

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Food is the best source for everything you need to gain muscle and size. The supplement market is full of empty promises minus protein and preworkout. Good clean food. Lots of protein and carbs and hard work in the gym. Weightlifting is a marathon not a sprint, no matter what internet personalities and snake oil salesman say.

I’ve been powerlifting for about 6 years now and have trained with lots of strength athletes and body builders. Creatine and protein are both pretty common and safe supplements. Whether creative is helpful or not is debatable, but its safe to take. Beyond that, I’ve never found any (legal) supplements that really make a big difference. Biggest factors in gaining size or strength is nutrition, consistency in the gym, and proper sleep/recovery. Biggest thing that made a difference for me was finding a good coach, and finding a gym that caters to powerlifting (or bodybuilding, strongman, or whatever you’re training for). Training with more experienced and stronger people with similar goals really helped me a lot.
x2

I started at 13 and for the last 20 years I have never been outperformed by someone because they take supplements and I don't

Nutrition, consistency, education & recovery are key.

Any of you guys know what to take or do for a very active job that keeps my muscles sore and joints stiff? I build trucks, and it's a pretty complete workout, 8+ hours a day. I have joint stiffness in the mornings and sore muscles are a constant thing. Should I just up my protein intake?

I'm not trying to bulk up and look like The Rock or anything, it would just be nice to reach a level of fitness that would allow me to do my job without hurting later. It has gotten better with time, the first few weeks were hell. But never completely gone away. Or is it just that 8+ hours a day 5 - 6 days a week will simply do that to you no matter what?

Any of you guys know what to take or do for a very active job that keeps my muscles sore and joints stiff? I build trucks, and it's a pretty complete workout, 8+ hours a day. I have joint stiffness in the mornings and sore muscles are a constant thing. Should I just up my protein intake?

I'm not trying to bulk up and look like The Rock or anything, it would just be nice to reach a level of fitness that would allow me to do my job without hurting later. It has gotten better with time, the first few weeks were hell. But never completely gone away. Or is it just that 8+ hours a day 5 - 6 days a week will simply do that to you no matter what?
Mobility and stretching will be your best friend before and after work.

When I worked construction from the field side, I was always stiff and sore even in my teens and twenties because it's the nature of having a physical job, although it did get easier as time went on because of "working smarter not harder" & my body getting used to it. I'm only 32 now but I can tell and big difference on how much longer it takes me to recover or my mobility in the mornings from my earlier years. I'm not an advocate for supplements but a solid nutrition plan goes a long way.

Other than that, working hard does not age well.

Reactions: MeanGreen86

I've found tumeric to help with this. I'm a big believer in the healthy diet approach as well.