Creating a workspace in a small space

Not_Invented_Here_

TJ Addict
I've finally reached the point where I need to think about setting up a workbench, maybe getting a decent sized tool chest, and actually organizing a workspace. Being a homeowner with a TJ is just about all the incentive I need to accomplish this. My wife and I have completed some solid projects over the last couple years but I can't help thinking how much easier they would have been had we already had a dedicated workspace in our basement/garage.

Right now, I'm trying to work in maybe a 15'x10' area. There isn't great clearance, I'd guess 7.5'-8' at best. Harbor freight has starter type workbenches and tool chests (not too big, basic functionality) and I'm wondering if there is any reason not to opt for those based on price and my needs. Upcoming projects include basic electrical and plumbing stuff, Eventually, I'd like to be able to do some woodwork as well but that's probably a ways off.

What are you guys using and/or what would you recommend?

Reactions: taylormade73
Get one of these. But you’ll outgrow it.
9E56F8CB-CAFA-426E-BE45-B939DAED8F68.jpeg

I built a couple 2 foot x 8 foot benches using plans I found in a Black and Decker complete guide to home carpentry book that I got several years ago. If I recall correctly, the plans were for a 2 foot x 4 foot bench, but I needed bigger and just doubled the length of them. I don’t remember all the quantities of wood used, I do remember using 1 full 4x8 sheet of 3/4” plywood, cut in half and stacked on top of each other, then a half sheet of hardboard on top of that for a somewhat smooth surface. 2x4’s for the frame. That thing is sturdy and heavy. I’ve beat and pounded in stuff on top of it and had no issues. I have a vise mounted on one of them.

Reactions: AustinJeepTJ
I built a couple 2 foot x 8 foot benches using plans I found in a Black and Decker complete guide to home carpentry book that I got several years ago. If I recall correctly, the plans were for a 2 foot x 4 foot bench, but I needed bigger and just doubled the length of them. I don’t remember all the quantities of wood used, I do remember using 1 full 4x8 sheet of 3/4” plywood, cut in half and stacked on top of each other, then a half sheet of hardboard on top of that for a somewhat smooth surface. 2x4’s for the frame. That thing is sturdy and heavy. I’ve beat and pounded in stuff on top of it and had no issues. I have a vise mounted on one of them.

Nice, this is what I'm looking for. We already have some of those materials in the leftover pile downstairs. Want to be able to mount vise and add functionality as needed.

Mine is a mess since I'm adding a shelf and painting, but go vertical. I have old kitchen cabinets against the wall with a work surface and storage cabinets up top. Then I built a storage rack for wood 1-1/2 to 2 ft down from the ceiling. I had some height in the area based on a support beam that runs across there.

I tore some old railing off the front of my house and cut up the good parts, mixed scrap from other projects, and bought a board or two to make a movable shelf and shelves with a place to put the old big screen TV.
Then last month I built a shelf over the top cabinets and used up all the old paint I've been storing to paint the shelves.

If I had a bathroom out there, it would be nicer than some of the apartments I lived in when I was in college. :unsure:

Last edited:
Nice, this is what I'm looking for. We already have some of those materials in the leftover pile downstairs. Want to be able to mount vise and add functionality as needed.

I‘m out of town right now. Won’t be back home until Saturday or Sunday. I’ll try and remember to take some pics of the instructions and get to you. If I happen to forget, remind me.

In the meantime, this is the book they are in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0865735778/?tag=wranglerorg-20&tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
Here's mine during a phase in construction. I guess it's always been a mess.

I expanded the shelving over the TV and the cupboards. I toss the carpet every couple years and find a new remnant for free somewhere. It keeps the feet warm when it's colder.

FB_IMG_15711498466492852.jpg

In the garage, I have some shelves built from 2x4s and they work fine. I have my vice mounted on my tool box. If you are going to mount a vise, I would use 4x4 legs and a 2x6 on the side you mount it. I say this because vises tend to hold things so we can do delicate work with the biggest F'n hammer we can find. YMMV.

Reactions: tworley
I would build a solid workbench using good 2x6, 2x4, and plywood. Throw an aluminum or steel top over some of it and get you a good vice mounted down. Will be much more sturdy than most anything you'll buy (probably cheaper too). If you're not sure how to build one a quick google seach will result in hundreds of idea from small to large. Old kitchen cabinets do wonders for wall storage. Good lighting is a must if you do any work at night.

If you can afford a little bit of extra space outside a small lean-to is a great way to store stuff close to the garage without taking up a tonne of space. I had one and insulated it and inside I kept all my spare lumber and larger vehicle parts and tools and my compressor and just ran the hose through the wall.

Reactions: Ericict
I forgot I had the plans on my laptop, but the site wouldn't let me upload them. It said the .pdf file was too large. If you want to PM me your email address, I can see if it will let me send it that way.

Here's a few pics of them when I built them in 2005. I wish I had measured how tall a paint can was and adjusted the height of the shelf, it was just barely to low to slide under. The small weathered one is an old one I made from leftover scraps from a fence I build in base housing in the early 90's.

wbenches1.jpg

Dcp_0007.jpg

Dcp_0008.jpg

WB1.jpg

To the OP: This is just workspace, you’re not planning to park a vehicle in the space, correct?

These are older pictures of my 12’x16 space.
E7CF8197-0203-4B40-A64E-C4C4182A7031.jpeg

161894A7-F73C-4179-9CD0-CA76683619B5.jpeg

This initial build has since evolved into this set up along the back wall
F0F6885C-6468-470B-B295-3D8B71A9E3DD.jpeg

A8277CC2-92D7-479A-8A90-9D1738524D15.jpeg

This new organization allowed me to get rid of the steel shelf unit and free up floor space.

Note the lack of top tool boxes. My two lower boxes are built under countertops or under my main workbench.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom
A better picture of my former work tool box built under my metal top bench.
170451B1-D001-472D-BDB0-4D1BA90CD892.jpeg

You’ve got a small space. Think about storage while you are building your shop.

I knew I wanted a 1/2” plywood shear panel on each end of my workbench between the legs.
The panel was going to be glued into a rabbet which was cut into the legs and horizontal pieces. By cutting the rabbet on the inside of the legs I was able to partially recess this much storage into the end of the bench.
A76DF0EA-4F8E-4FF7-97A2-FE545D616B9F.jpeg

Not a big deal but every little bit helps.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Best thing I was able to do is put a sink in by punching through to the basement lines and drains. I now have hot water in the garage and can clean things out there. I put a hose connection on the sink to wash the cars. I ripped out storage space in exchange for it.

The neighbor has a drain in his garage floor. I've seriously considered adding one for the melting snow/slush dripping of the cars, and to wash them inside in the winters.

OR my favorite shop.... a mobile cargo trailer.
Wish I had this 40 years ago and 5 house moves sooner.

trlr 009.jpg

trlr005.jpg
trlr 004.jpeg

DSCN0670.jpg

That trailer, 5x10 was $2900 new. Best tool box I've ever had.

That's a nice set up @jgaz .

Looks like you have extensions behind the bench in the last pic.
Thanks.
Good eye! Those are my 3’ extensions. (anybody want to buy one);)
They fit nicely on the back brace that’s fastened to the wall.

My box is Snap On’s old school series so it’s only 20” deep. Some of the newer deep boxes would be a better fit under my bench.
At work, my narrow box was much easier to maneuver thru doors, around fixtures, and into test cells.

If I were redoing the bench (which I’m not!), I’d probably offset that one rear leg and incorporate some storage. Maybe a slide out open top box to store sheet metal. Shops are never done.

Last edited: