Creating Common Interests—a 2005 LJ Build

NCunlimitedLJ

Supporting Member
***Warning - I have figured out my post get long - and this is no exception ****

It all started with me falling asleep while watching MotorTrend's Dirt Everyday in October 2019. The episode where the hosts take an old school Jeep and stock square body Chevy up the Rubicon Trail. I fell asleep while my wife was reading. The next day, I hear some grand words - "Lets get a jeep".

Now some quick background - I have been into cars/truck etc all my life. In my adult life though, I always leaned towards relatively quick vehicles (Trailblazer SS, 2014 GT, 2019 GT) but always wanted a third vehicle - most likely a full size truck. I would see Jeeps, never took a 2nd look at stock jeeps, but always respected well built, trail worthy jeeps (not the ones on 20" + wheels with tiny sidewalls).

My wife could care less - a car with good gas mileage and one she does not have to worry about keeping clean and she is content (with the car that is). On occasion she enjoys driving my car but we certainly are worlds apart from sharing the same passions over cars.

To the build title - - I enjoy cars, she enjoys being outdoors, riding horses, hiking/camping etc. Enter the Jeep scene where the outdoors/camping crowd merges with the car crowd that enjoys spending way too much money knowing it makes no financial sense.

Fast forward and the day I heard those words that we need a Jeep - I was 100% into it. Now what to get? Started looking at JKs but we did not want to invest a lot and be scared to scratch it, damage it break it - that was not what we were going for. Ultimately we wanted a Jeep we were not concerned with taking to the beach and to the mountains of NC, and something we could learn to drive in the sand, mud, and rocks. I quickly learned of the Jeep TJ and had heard stories of how great the legendary 4.0 was. On top of that there is chance a fairly non mechanically inclined idiot can fix it if/when it breaks, Sold - Jeep TJ it is. As I started looking I quickly learned there was the LJ that was produced for a couple years. A bit longer, more room in the back and rides better - what could be better than that? The last real Jeep.

That was it - started the search for a Jeep LJ - it just needed to be clean inside and out and without rust. We did not care about color or transmission. Fast forward a few weeks later after we had looked at several TJs and a few fairly beat up LJs, I came across a silver 2005 LJ with 132K miles, single owner and clean. It was at a Hyundai dealership less then an hour away and they were only asking $10,250. It was a Saturday, I was in the office catching up, and pinged my wife - she simply said swing by and pick me up - will have a sandwich ready.

A few hours later we were practicing our Jeep wave returning home. A pretty good November day.

Jeep_Carsdotcom.PNG

orignal_1.jpg

Welcome to the Jeep world and the forum. Take a stroll over to the Jeep Resource area for the answers to a lot of questions new owners can have.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Fast forward a month and go to perform the first oil change. Cannot break the oil plug free with the normal amount of force so put a bit more effort into it and it just spins. Never good when you have to use vice grips to yank out the plug and the nut is included on the other end. Love when someone uses an impact gun to put on an oil drain plug..

Great time to replace the rear main seal as I noticed a few small drops of oil in the garage, and of course the oil pan. Ordered a mopar oil pan, felpro gaskets and RMS. During replacing the oil pan and RMS, I realized I did not miss my calling of being a mechanic. Pretty sure this took me 8+ hours but got it done and have not seen a drop of oil since.

Around the same time, decided to pull off the faded flares, sanded down, primed and painted with bed-liner. This was a learning experience but the outcome was great. The wife helped some as well (though those may have been re-sanded and sprayed again).

A couple weeks later, replaced all spark plugs (not sure how long the others were in there) and happy I did. Checking the gap on a few and they were way outside specs. I used the recommendations from the forum to purchase. Also cleaned the IAT.

All the while doing this rather routine maintenance, was looking up the endless information about the best lifts/shocks for a Jeep LJ. The OME Ultimate kit at this point is looking really great. Can most likely avoid a transfer case drop or SYE on the LJ and will accommodate 33's.

jeep_flares_off.JPG

jeep_flares_off_2.JPG

jeep_oil_drain_plug.JPG

jeep_painted_flares_polished_waxed_2.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome, and nice purchase! OME makes a premium spring. 2" springs along with a 1" body lift/MML and you'd be setup pretty good for 33's. Keep in mind gearing will be a future investment if you want to keep the engine happy.

Thanks @bobthetj03 - I fear I am going to be getting gears and locker sooner then later once the 33's are on.

Okay - fast forward this thread to the the last couple months. The more and more I researched lifts with a min of 33s it seems like the OME lift plus a body lift gets you just barely the suspension travel to match factory. Unfortunately that approach aligns more with my wallet but not my mind.

To buy some time with the wife (and while I continued to contemplate the direction), I moved forward with ordering a set 5 wheels and tires. I really like the old school 15" black wheels and big tires look. End up getting some fairly inexpensive ProComp Alloys and 33" Duratracs. Those have been taking up space in the garage for the past 2-3 months.

After months and months of trying to find a compromise looking at 3-4" spring lifts, I keep coming back to the RockJock/Currie 4" lift including all 8 adjustable CAs. If I can just get past the initial cost of entry for this kit, I figure I will never need to replace any of these components for the life of the jeep except normal wear/tear. But damn, over 3K when including good shocks is steep - especially if I decide to not try the install myself.

While continuing to put off the lift kit purchase, had some old Amazon gift cards laying around and purchased:

- cheap LED headlights - CREE
- Alien SunShade
- Steering wheel cover (stock steering wheel is just too thin IMO)
- fire extinguisher and mount
- Rugged Ridge Dash tray with phone mount

By far the best purchase was the Alien SunShade - it makes a huge difference in keeping temps down with the top off on hot summer days. Pretty inexpensive and can stay on with the top on.

More to come..

jeep_wheels_tires.JPG

jeep_1st_mud.jpg

jeep_headlights.JPG

jeep_sunshade.JPG

Alright - about time for another update. Pulled the trigger while Morris 4x4 was running a 10% off discount and ordered the Currie 4" lift CE-9800HL . Figured at worst it will be overkill but hopefully money well spent. Paired this with Rancho RS9000XL shocks because I liked the idea of have some ability to adjust the ride "quality". I was not able to currently stomach adding the cost of an SYE and drive shaft, so ordered a TC drop kit. I hope that will work for now, but time will tell to see if I have any vibrations.

I found a local shop that does a considerable amount of work on jeeps for what I feel is a great price to do the work, and the Jeep is currently on the lift. I expect the work to be completed this work.

The only progress picture I have to this point is included. I can't tell if the CAs on the front are installed yet, but the droop seems impressive. The guy running the office sent me an email stating he thought this would be significantly over 4" in lift, but he was judging that purely on the above picture. As light as the jeep is currently (soft top, no rear seat etc) I assume it will be a bit higher but I will know soon. Regardless, should make for some interesting pictures riding home on the 31's that the jeep road in with. The shop said they can't wait to post up on social media for the trolls to comment.

Once I get home, the 33' Duratracs will be installed asap.

lift_install_progress_1.jpg

I suspect you may be stomaching the cost of a SYE and drive shaft sooner than you think. Looks like you are having fun.

Nice pick on the 4” lift kit. Mine came with a newly installed 2.5” OME and 1.25” bodily lift and it’s OK but I think you’ll be very pleased. Also with 10.5” wide KO2 33s mine still rubs pretty bad and if I have to pull my sway bar disconnects I have to be extra careful with fender clearance.

Enjoy the LJ, there’s no Jeep I’d rather have! (Other than maybe a a Scrambler with a stroked Small block)

Nice LJ! I see you’re at Jimmy’s, I’ve heard he does good work. I own a garage in Apex if you ever need a hand let me know!

@TjSteve0305 - good guess and spot on. Worked with David at Jimmy's and they are great people and did great work.

I picked up the Jeep yesterday. I let David know we were in no rush since I waiting for a PCM from Mark @Wranglerfix.

The Jeep looked extremely goofy with the 4" Currie Lift on worn 31" tires. David had warned me during his test drive he experienced some DW on certain bumps. We were unsure if it was the tires, a suspension component, or just the alignment. Could tell the toe was off pretty bad. He offered to keep and investigate, but I was ready to get the Jeep and figured I could start tracking down DW if it continued post the tires/rims and alignment.

I had never experienced DW in my life, but with my wife following me, about 3 minutes into the return trip, doing 50-55 mph, the jeep violently shook and my cell phone went flying. I had to slow down to under 10 mph to stop the DW. She soon called me "well that looked fun - at least that knocked some of the mud off." After that, decided to avoid the interstate and take surface roads back to the other side of town. This occurred 3 more times in a 20 mile drive.

Once I got home immediately jacked it up and swapped out the wheels. Looked so much better, but I am certainly hoping the springs settle some. Added the spare 33" to the stock carrier. I think it will be okay for now as it rest partially on the bumper. Also installed the rear seat to hopefully take some of the rake out. Checked the air pressure and took each tire down to 29-30 lbs.

We went for a short trip to a local brewery - no DW during that trip. The beer was great, the Jeep even better. Took some measurements and compared to stock. Overall with tires seeing exactly 6" of lift in front and back. Figure the new 33s compared to the old 31's is providing 1 -1.5" of lift — that gets me to 4.5 -5" of spring lift.

This morning, dropped the Jeep off to get aligned and walked back to the home office (perks of a shop being almost across the road from neighborhood). Took on a test drive tonight - Jeep did great on a 20 mile drive including surface roads and 65 on the highway. Did not try any faster as I had the sunrider top open.

No driveline vibes at all, could not replicate DW. @Flivver250 - I think I can hold off for bit on the SYE and the transfer case drop does not look overly stupid to me yet. That could just be because the 33s look pretty small with how light the LJ is and that is what draws my attention. No way I could tolerate 35s right now with stock gearing.

Order of ops moving forward:

- MORryde Tire Carrier
- winch plate and budget winch (budget Warren or Smittybilt)
- upgraded steering
- rocker guards
- gears /lockers (selectable rear - lunchbox or similar in front)
- 35's (if jeep gets heavier - a small BL)

IMG_1127.JPEG

IMG_1129.JPEG

IMG_1142.JPEG

IMG_1144.JPEG

Looks great! I had the same lift and 33’s on my last TJ, I’m sure you will be happy with it.

let me know when you are ready for the differential work, I can definitely help you out with that!

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Cannot break the oil plug free with the normal amount of force so put a bit more effort into it and it just spins. Never good when you have to use vice grips to yank out the plug and the nut is included on the other end.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Jeeps... if the nut can break.... it will break. LOL.

Great time to replace the rear main seal as I noticed a few small drops of oil in the garage, and of course the oil pan.

Great catch, keep an eye on it as you begin wheeling, those rear main seals are known to leak like a sieve.

I realized I did not miss my calling of being a mechanic. Pretty sure this took me 8+ hours but got it done

Same here, when an install calls for 2-3 hours.. I figure 8'ish.

Checking the gap on a few and they were way outside specs. I used the recommendations from the forum to purchase. Also cleaned the IAT.

Crap, now you got me wondering if I need to clean my IAT. Crap... what's an IAT?

While continuing to put off the lift kit purchase, had some old Amazon gift cards laying around and purchased:

- cheap LED headlights - CREE
- Rugged Ridge Dash tray with phone mount

How are the headlights working out? I need to upgrade mine. And, now you got me wanting a Rugged Ridge Dash tray with phone mount. #OneMoreThingOnMyList

I let David know we were in no rush since I waiting for a PCM from Mark @Wranglerfix.

What made you go down this route? I read everyone's praises, but why was this front loaded on your list?

After that, decided to avoid the interstate and take surface roads back to the other side of town. This occurred 3 more times in a 20 mile drive.

Been there done that. "Limping Home"

Order of ops moving forward:

- MORryde Tire Carrier
- upgraded steering

I have that tire carrier, great choice! I've got my eyes on the Currie CorrectLync steering kit. Seems a little pricey, I've thought about going piecemeal.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
@TjSteve0305 - thanks for the praise. Checked out your website and looks like an awesome setup you guys have. Will certainly keep you in mind.

@e1harris - coming through with the very thorough reply - will try to address

- RMS - not a single drip since replacing it over 9 months ago so hopefully I get another 130K plus before replacing again

- IAT - whoops meant IAC valve - thanks for catching that

- Headlights - these actually seem great though I had to modify the mounting bracket some with a dremel as the headlights were too deep. Much better than stock, and I have always preferred white lights compared to yellow. I may need to aim down some now post lift as a passing car flashed me the other night

- RuggedRidge Dashmount - DM your address and one will show up. I accidentally purchased two and I am terrible at returning things under a certain price point

- PCM - everything I researched with the standard players like FS1 etc all seemed like a crap-shoot. 50/50 you get one that works on startup, and 50/50 again if it fails down the road. I took the bait with @Wranglerfix that it is actually not the standard reman unit. When I called Mark to vet him out, he answered the phone and took the time to talk to me. Happy to support a small business when I can. To date seems like a good decision - will definitely know after this weekend's trip.
——————————————————————

Some updates:

Yesterday after relocating from the office to the home office the seat belt light finally annoyed me enough with random flashing that I decided to check it out. Found two wires pulled out of the connector mounted under the seat. From all accounts this appeared to be tied to the chimes when the seat belt is not clicked in. Had nothing to lose, grabbed a beer, reconnected the wires to the wiring clip - tested, no more random flashing light. Great - no need to cover that light on the dahs with electrical tape.

Onto the lift review:
- Forewarning - Jeeps are new to me, lifted vehicles of any sort are new to me, so I have nothing to compare to but the stock ride. The Ranchos were set to 3 (shop said they would do 5 but I knew I wanted to try something softer). The ride is so much better than stock. I am not sure if it is the springs, the shocks, the JJs, or the new tires at 29 lbs - probably just a combo. The ride is great — the harshness when hitting a bump is much less - I have more confidence in the road manners of the Jeep. Last night I changed the shocks to the softest setting and I think I enjoy the ride even more, but certainly need to put more miles on it. I get it - rating the Currie lift based entirely on payment mannerisms is stupid, but that is all I can do at this point.

Regarding 33s on stock 373 gearing with the 4-speed auto - -it is doable and has not detracted from the driving experience. You certainly need to be a bit more aggressive with the throttle but I really did not notice today while driving. While I will certainly will do gearing (and lockers) it is nice to know we can still enjoy the jeep as is, provide we just turn off overdrive (which we were doing often with the 31s anyway).

I totally get the Jeep scene now - As I start to make modifications to make it my own (our own if the wife figures out where this is posted) I find it more and more fun to drive. The wife and I had a battle today when I said I was taking the Jeep to the office - to the point I handed her they keys to my car, which I never do. There is something about taking the top down, or just folding back the sun-rider and enjoying the NC weather.

Hopefully we can find some people local that offroad and take the Jeep to Uwharrie soon - can't wait to test it out.

Quick updates - spent some time this weekend and pulled the factory bumpers and painted along with with the headlight bezels. I installed the factory fog lights again - not sure I am sold on the look with the mis-matched generations of lights (compared with the headlights).

The only before pic I have is prior to the new tires.

front_prior.JPEG

front_post.JPG

The cleaned up front end looks great. I need to do the same to my front bumper and tow hooks.

I've done the opposite as you... I couldn't find factory take-off fog lights for anything less than a small fortune for my Jeep, which was missing them when I bought it. So I bought some Hella LED driving lights and now my sealed beam lights look out of place. So I'm going to replace the sealed beams with LED headlights and see how it goes... They should arrive Tuesday. If you're OK with driving lights instead of fogs, the Hella 500 Value Fit LED for $125 is a pretty good deal. Good light, quality construction and I spliced Quadratec's fog light harness into the Hella harness to make plug-and-play adapters. You can see mine here.

I have have been terrible at tracking the progress of the LJ - a quick rundown of upgrades since the last update:

- October - decided it was time to upgrade the steering in preparation for trying to go out wheeling and looking at the tiny steering linkage had me concerned. Good news - no hours of research needed, went with Currie CorrectLync that is the gold standard per this forum. A bit pricey but certainly well built and the install took me about 6 beers so thats a win in my book. Here is a quick comparison that includes my feet for some reason.

.steering.JPEG

That same weekend, post a quick alignment, we took the Jeep out to Uwharrie and met some great fellow jeepers and had a blast. Pretty early on we lost 4lo. Got underneath and could force into 4lo but would eventually popout. Continued on some easier trails in 4hi.

URE_1st.JPGURE_Daniel_Top.JPGURE_Foliage.JPEG

Not soon after getting back, did some research (thanks to this forum) and realized this was a common issue when cheaping out and doing a transfer case drop. I did not realize I needed some adjustment bracket for the transfer case shifter. Still do not know how that did not come up in my weeks of research, but after getting under the jeep I quickly realized that was the issue. To remedy this, I ordered the Savvy Transfer Case linkage and got installed in about 6 beers (to clarify typically IPAs) and also changed the t-case fluid.

A weekend later, we took it back out to Uwharrie to test my home repair and met up with some of our new Jeep friends. 4lo worked like a champ and damn what a difference after installing. It is so much smoother engaging 4 wheel drive - no more of that "did I do that right" - It just works and you know if you are in 4hi or 4lo. So satisfying to essentially "break" something and be able to fix it. Here is great picture showing us doing a badge of honor trail and showing the recently installed upgraded steering linkage.

jeep_LJ_Dickey.jpg

Fast forward a couple weeks later, scored some TJ half doors that were really straight for $250 on FB marketplace. One had been sanded and primed and the other was still poorly rhino lined. As we speak the doors have been broke down, and are in the paint booth. I have the door panels prepped and I have the color matched SEM paint. Planning to paint the panels this weekend:

half_doors.JPEG

Hopefully will post some progress pictures of painting the door panels and then some final progress pictures with the half doors temporarily installed. Assume the full doors will be going back on, but in NC in the winter, not out of the norm to have a 30 degree weekend followed by a 70 degree one, so half doors may be in the rotation.

Reactions: seabass
Looks great! We're not far from each other, I'm in High Point.

You've got the suspension that I want eventually in my LJ! I think I'm to the point now where I'll just piece mine together slowly. Wish I would've cried once but live and learn I guess.

Can't wait to see more progress!

Another month has passed and realized I have not updated the build. After Christmas we took a week in the mountains and on the way back doing 75 down the interstate I had The moment where we came up on stopped traffic and slammed on brakes and literally felt zero confidence the Jeep was going to stop. Got back home and ordered BMB front pads from @mrblaine and centric rotors. The pads showed up in a couple days and the install took enough beers where I had to wait until the next day to follow the break in procedure.
All I can say is WOW - so much more confidence in braking now that I drive it more like my daily then a lifted Jeep. I now wish this Jeep had ABS as it will lock up the fronts at 60 mph.

I really need to start planning for the next phase. Each time we go to uwharrie I am concerned about the front Dana 30. Looking at upgraded shafts and gearing which then means lockers. Trying to slowly work on hiding funds from the roommate and decide between arb or Eaton elockers

Reactions: L J and mrblaine
Tracking additional upgrades made recently though it has been slow progress.

I quickly became tired of the inability to open and close the rear door on the Jeep with out using two hands and using some muscle. Each time needing to pick up on the 33” spare. Based on tons of advice from this forum went with the Morryde Tire Carrier. I knew I would not like the multi step process of a bumper with tire carrier. I use the Jeep more as a DD to keep miles off my DD.
Definitely not a cool or flashy upgrade but certainly functional. It installs in a couple hours and works great.
Most time consuming part was having the wife run me to Home Depot to figure out bolts and snubber extensions as my project and distractions exceed a few too many beers by that point.

I recommend anyone looking to do this upgrade to move it up on their list. It is a functional upgrade that improves the day to day use of the Jeep.

588656D2-A7C7-44D1-BE75-A844F83110F5.jpeg

Reactions: taylormade73