Crested Butte to Marble via Devils Punch Bowl

Mud dauber

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This is a scenic trail with several intermediate obstacles with exposure to the river valley below, which makes it interesting!

E550B3BC-8542-475A-A907-D216D48A5D22.jpeg

8E629ED6-A170-4C28-954F-C867D68AB0F6.jpeg

48BEBF7F-0170-4C3A-A095-FF04686D5D30.jpeg

In the town of Marble is a major active Marble mine. This time of year artist from all over move to town and carve marble for all to admire.

Marble from this mine was used in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Lincoln Memorial.

we drove up to the mine and saw huge slabs of white marble.

From Marble we returned to CB via Kebler Pass. A great day!

26519D35-2875-4947-B02A-7FECAB6E2652.jpeg

Last edited:
Schofield/Punch Bowl is one of my favorite trails. I got to run it last weekend.

Reactions: Mud dauber
In the town of Marble is a major active Marble mine. This time of year artist from all over move to town and carve marble for all to admire.

Marble from this mine was used in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Lincoln Memorial.

View attachment 263083
The best BBQ I've had in Colorado is in Marble! At Slow Groovin' BBQ.

Reactions: Mud dauber
Did some work in that mine and never was able to eat there. The line was always longer than I was willing to wait. Unfortunately CO isn’t known for great BBQ.
No it's not. And I'm originally from Kansas City, so I'm a BBQ snob. Their sides rated a 6 out of 10, but their smoked brisket was a 10!

View attachment 263083
Most of, if not all the marble within DC came from this mine. Very cool history there.

Schofield/Punch Bowl is one of my favorite trails. I got to run it last weekend.
I can see why you like this route. I appreciated the challenge of the trail without needing a Uber Jeep! And the varied scenery, wildlife and town sites make it a great day.

I need to try it uphill, when some more upgrades are installed.
Right off the bat I am thinking hard about a gearing upgrade for my LJ. Probably part of a locker/chromoly front axel.

Reactions: jjvw
Did I meet you Saturday at Silver Dollar Saloon in Leadville? Another silver LJ parked across the street?
Yes you did, sorry for the delayed reply. We have been on the road since a week after we met in Leadville.

We stopped in Moab for a few trails and National Parks. Then onto Park City on our way to Yellowstone. Glacier NP, Cody WY, Grand Tetons now headed to Rocky MT NP.

Outside of Glacier is a known Jeep Trail Blacktail / Wild Bill OHV. We went there for a spin and had a good time.

We will have short break in Denver before heading to Southern Utah again and Arizona. Trying to be home by Thanksgiving.

Great meeting you there. We will probably be there next summer as well.

I am thinking we need a WRANGLER TJ Forum sticker to identify each other while on the road.

I’ll be back in CB as soon as the advanced terrain opens.

Stay Safe this winter,

Reactions: Aviatortroy
You should post your itinerary, places you stayed, ate and the trails you ran. That sounds like an awesome trip!

That sounds like an awesome trip.
Well not as awesome as a trip to Alaska. I tried to talk the wife into taking the RV to Alaska. We are told it’s ten days of driving just to get there on bad roads. It’s a bucket list trip for me so I will have to do more research and maybe we will run into some RVer that has made the trip that has first hand knowledge. I know some RVer make the trip in groups to help each other in case of issues.

And once in Alaska it’s limited good roads for a RV I think so not sure it’s the best use of resources and time. Tell me if I am wrong I would like some info about the trip.

We checked into taking the ferry from Seattle area to Alaska. Somewhere around 4000.00 ticket price for a RV.

All of this talk was just that this year as the boarder was closed earlier this summer. I did hear you could get on the Al/Can highway with the promise you would not get off the highway route. Others said that was not correct. I never got a definitive answer. I now understand you can get into Canada with a negative covid test.

I’ll come up with a post about my trip we are on now. It s a tour of National Parks and Jeepin when time and locations permits.

Reactions: NDSpeed
You should post your itinerary, places you stayed, ate and the trails you ran. That sounds like an awesome trip!
Ok I will post some details but the most important information I can give now is that the fall colors are peaking this week in the Northern Rockies. Get out there and enjoy them if you can!

Well not as awesome as a trip to Alaska. I tried to talk the wife into taking the RV to Alaska. We are told it’s ten days of driving just to get there on bad roads. It’s a bucket list trip for me so I will have to do more research and maybe we will run into some RVer that has made the trip that has first hand knowledge. I know some RVer make the trip in groups to help each other in case of issues.

And once in Alaska it’s limited good roads for a RV I think so not sure it’s the best use of resources and time. Tell me if I am wrong I would like some info about the trip.

We checked into taking the ferry from Seattle area to Alaska. Somewhere around 4000.00 ticket price for a RV.

All of this talk was just that this year as the boarder was closed earlier this summer. I did hear you could get on the Al/Can highway with the promise you would not get off the highway route. Others said that was not correct. I never got a definitive answer. I now understand you can get into Canada with a negative covid test.

I’ll come up with a post about my trip we are on now. It s a tour of National Parks and Jeepin when time and locations permits.
PM sent

View attachment 263083
We ran it twice this Summer. First time also went up to Lead King basin. We ate the BbQ and returned via Kiebler Pass. Second trip we went punchbowl both ways. I thought the uphill return to Schofeld was challenging. One of our favorites