Cross Country Trip Advice

GruntInAJeep

In July I'm going cross country from southern cali to Boston in my TJ. Anyone have any pre maintenance tips or things I should do to my jeep before I go? All advice is good advice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: EJD
Damn, that's a long ass way in a TJ seat :eeek: Check and change all fluids as needed, suspension check, rotate and balance tires, new wiper blades and fluid. Jumper cables and/or jumper box, air compressor, tire plugs. Definitely a way to play music, snacks, water, and and a shit ton of Red Bulls/Monsters/Rockstars :D

Damn, that's a long ass way in a TJ seat :eeek: Check and change all fluids as needed, suspension check, rotate and balance tires, new wiper blades and fluid. Jumper cables and/or jumper box, air compressor, tire plugs. Definitely a way to play music, snacks, water, and and a shit ton of Red Bulls/Monsters/Rockstars :D
Haha thank you! Yeah it will certainly put some miles on. Around 3000 haha. I wouldn't want to do it in any other vehicle.

Reactions: UpperMI
I would also air the tires for the optimal MPG on the highway (I forget to do this often after wheeling 2+ hours down the road, after I have deflated them for optimal trail PSI).

Make sure your cruise control works if you have it and carefully check the vacuum lines!

I'd also check the torque of nuts and bolts, especially on any aftermarket components that you may or may not have (e.g. steering linkage, control arms, et al).

Oh and it would probably be a good time to grease your zerk fittings!

Safe travels! :cool:

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Bring your credit card... Gas is going to be a killer ;) also try to buy gas from reputable stations along the way as you are less likely to get bad gas.

Replace your rad cap before you go if it's not recent as it can save you over heating. I'd also depending on the age toss a water pump in the back of the jeep just in case.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: KCsTJ
You didn't say if this was a scenic route or 4 lane slab. Is this a month or 3-4 days travel time. What is your age and stamina?
Be sure to have a blanket or bag to relax in a park or cemetery when you body says it needs a quick nap.
Edit: And a cheap all in one tool kit will handle most any problem that can be handle on the road side.

Last edited:
Reactions: GruntInAJeep
In July I'm going cross country from southern cali to Boston in my TJ. Anyone have any pre maintenance tips or things I should do to my jeep before I go? All advice is good advice!

I just drove my TJ from Florida, to New York, to Washington State. That was like 3,100 miles roughly and my Jeep with 160k did amazing, and I had a loaded roof rack!

My biggest recommendation for a trip like this is to make sure your cooling system is up to par before you leave. Do a visual check of all component if possible, replace anything that looks like it could use replacing or preempt things that have unknown age. (Hoses, water pump, thermostat, or even the radiator itself). Also make sure you bring a jug coolant on the road with you, this is something you may need to add in periodically throughout your drive.

PS: Please tell me that your taking Route 66 and are going to be taking awesome TJ photos the whole way...

I just drove my TJ from Florida, to New York, to Washington State. That was like 3,100 miles roughly and my Jeep with 160k did amazing, and I had a loaded roof rack!

My biggest recommendation for a trip like this is to make sure your cooling system is up to par before you leave. Do a visual check of all component if possible, replace anything that looks like it could use replacing or preempt things that have unknown age. (Hoses, water pump, thermostat, or even the radiator itself). Also make sure you bring a jug coolant on the road with you, this is something you may need to add in periodically throughout your drive.

PS: Please tell me that your taking Route 66 and are going to be taking awesome TJ photos the whole way...
That must have been some trip! And I'm taking 66 to Texas to see my brother and then heading northeast from there. Don't worry there will be plenty of pictures.

You didn't say if this was a scenic route or 4 lane slab. Is this a month or 3-4 days travel time. What is your age and stamina?
Be sure to have a blanket or bag to relax in a park or cemetery when you body says it needs a quick nap.
Edit: And a cheap all in one tool kit will handle most any problem that can be handle on the road side.
It will be about 8 days I'll be 22 and I'm military so plenty of stamina. I'll be doing this trip with my brother also so we can switch driving. And I'll have my pup with me

I am 52 and would drive about anything cross country. Not sure why people think driving a Wrangler is tough in some way. I ride a bike to work everyday, so my Jeep is luxury to me. I would hop in it and go to Alaska tomorrow. I wish I could to be honest.

Enjoy the trip. I have driven across the US several times and enjoyed it every time. Once in some old Subaru that was a delivery. Upon my arrival the owner said, I can't believe you made it. It really was a POS.

I envy your trip!

It will be about 8 days I'll be 22 and I'm military so plenty of stamina. I'll be doing this trip with my brother also so we can switch driving. And I'll have my pup with me

I was prior military and did many "coast to coast" trips. It's fun and it's a great way to see the great country you serve!!! Thanks for your service and be safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ron Hockett
I'd bring a small cooler for snacks. You might want to buy a bunch of bottled water and freeze them in the freezer at home. Then , in the bottom of the cooler they act like ice. As they thaw they can be the "beverage du jour."
Have fun.

While I was in the Navy, I had to drive my TJ from San Diego,CA to Portsmouth, VA for “C-School,” then turn around 6 months later to drive back across our great nation to Bremerton, Wa where I boarded the USS Nimitz. In my opinion, I would say invest in a good radio(I listened to a lot of stand up comedy), good road tires(get an alignment, balancing, etc...), do all necessary maintenance checks, I highly recommend having a co-pilot(making memories that last a lifetime), and stop as often as you can. Don’t forget to enjoy the journey. Talk to people at the fuel pump (you’ll see a lot of that)!
Anyway, good luck to you!

Nothing much to prepare as long as your rig is in good shape. I drove my TJ 2005 stick soft top from Chicago to Amarillo Texas a lot of times (about 1,200 miles one way) sooo many times!!!!!!.

Survey google your route, make sure you get strategic (familiar) with gas stations, hotels, and restaurants. I stopped at restaurants, gas stations and some scenic views and get to know (enjoy) new places, people strangers, outdoor natures as such. They already know you are not from there, so talk to people and learn how to socialize as a traveler. You will be surprised how people in different walks of life reacts to you. 99% are nice people.

Stop in "truck stops" for gas (not in-town gas station), there you will meet a lot of travelers just like you. They are all interestingly very friendly and adventurous just like you. DO NOT go topless / doorless in the highway (tried that one too) :(

Last edited:
I love a good road trip. Used to drive a truck for a living for a few years after high school, and always loved the road to let my brain wander and unwind. Old school paper map of the entire USA is always in my vehicle, a $10 roll of quarters, emergency toilet paper, a robust first aid kit, and pack some heat depending on the local firearm laws. Safe travels and look forward to pics.