Cruise control light in dash not on

Imposter71

Did a search but didn't see anything addressing this issue yet.

My cruise doesn't work. Light comes on when I first go to start the jeep so figure it is not a bulb issue. Before I start looking at any vacuum lines I figured I need to be sure that it is turning on. What powers the dash light and/or Cruise Control?

2006 LJ all stock electrical.

thanks!

Since the bulb is fine, I would check the vacuum line and if that's hooked up, then I would say the cruise control unit could be bad.

Sorry, might not have been clear with the question.
When I am driving and I hit the on/off switch on the steering wheel for the cruise control the "cruise" light in the cluster does not come on. However when I first go to start the jeep and the cluster lights up the "cruise" light does come on for a few seconds so I know that the bulb is working.

What powers the switch ( is there a fuse or something) ?

I want to make sure first of all that the main power or control is turned on before I move to the next thing.
Once my cluster light will come on when driving I plan to move on to the next thing if it still does not engage when I try to set it.

Thanks.

What ended up being the issue? I’m in a similar boat, tho I did find one of my lines was cracked, but my CC stopped working before I cracked the line by mistake. I Ordered new switches still and it still didn’t work and I have brake lights so I don’t think it’s the switch.

On manual transmission TJs, the cruise control is also connected to the clutch interlock that normally prevents the engine from starting without the clutch pedal being pushed in. This connection is to prevent the engine RPMs from maxing out if the clutch is inadvertently depressed with cruise control engaged.

If the switch fails, the cruise control may not work properly. You may also be able to start the engine without touching the clutch pedal if this is the case.

(This is just one possibility out of many.)

Have not been on here in a while, and my wife has been driving this jeep so I kind of forgot about it. LOL. I still have not worked on this issue. That is good info about the clutch interlock. I need to check that.

On my '05 the Cruise light would not turn on when I hit the switch. I found that I had a cracked vacuum line tee where it attached to the intake manifold. Once I fixed that the light came on and cruise worked fine. I was surprised but I guess there must be a check for vacuum present before it turns on the light.

I'd check all the vacuum fittings before diving into electronics.

This seems, to me, like the beginning of the end for the clock spring. I had the same types of issues with mine both times (yes, I have replaced it twice), and both times it was exactly this: cruise didn't work, but the light would come on for a second or two: eventually the light wouldn't even come on. Next issue was the horn wouldn't work or would work intermittently and it's hard to tell-I am not someone who sounds the horn very often; and finally the airbag light would test at startup, shut off and then immediately reactivate and would not turn off. These things did not happen together, it was cruise control first and then some time went by and I noted the horn didn't work, and finally about 30 days after noticing the horn, for sure the airbag light came on.

Last edited:
All good info, thanks. I will definately check the vacuum lines. I am a big fan of starting with the simple things first. This poor jeep is a rusty, crispy mess. I got it from original owner with about 115 miles on it. They took pretty good care of it but I Think it came to the beach by way of Wisconsin and Pa so it has seen some salt. We love it and are keeping it going the best we can. I just pick the next thing that needs attention and work on it. I'll update as things progress, maybe my fumbling around can save someone else some time if they have a similar issue.

Any revelations??? Cruise worked fine.... I had my throttle body bracket off (CC cover gasket, heat shields, clean and general tune up) and ever since the cruise hasn't worked. recently had IP out because of heater core and evap core so i have been through every temp and mode since reinstall and all check ok so vacuum system checks out ok.