Cummins 4BT swap questions

DETOUR

TJ Enthusiast
Hi Jeepers
I started collecting parts for my upcoming CUMMINS -swap
-Anyone with information as to where to get a adaptor flex plate between engine flywheel and the torque converter of my 4L60e tranny
- as it shows in the attached pic , I do have a bolted on wave-ring on the flywheel of the cummins
- JEFF Daniels staff knew exactly what I was talking about , over the phone,but apologized for not being able to supply said part
- no luck with NOVAK and ADVANCE ADAPTERS
- if push comes to shove , I'll have our local machine shop build me the part

Much Appreciate your input

Markus

-olllllo-
IMG_3643.JPG

Reactions: TrailYacht
im not sure if it helps or if it is the same ccombo but aaron kaufman of gas monkey did a diesel swao into a scout I believe and had numerous tranny problems with a 4l60 I believe due to the computer incompatability

im not sure if it helps or if it is the same ccombo but aaron kaufman of gas monkey did a diesel swao into a scout I believe and had numerous tranny problems with a 4l60 I believe due to the computer incompatability

Thx wagon man for bringing your concern to my attention
- I'll be running a standalone programmable ECM with RPM and TPS input NOT from the JEEP OEM

-olllllo-*

Been driving a lot of awesome, smooth running Diesels but never anything with a 4BT in it. The JK in europe runs great with the Diesel engine 200hp / 410Nm (302lbft).

I don’t know if you have decided on engine mounts yet. But I wouldn’t recommend these http://www.jdjeeps.com/jdjeeps/mounts.ashx

I had them in mine and vibrated like crazy. I went with these for now
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/anchor,2698,motor+mount,5552

They took 85% of the annoying rattle/vibrating out of it, so far I’ve been happy although I don’t care for how much the engine can flex now. I may end up putting something like this in and see how it does.

https://www.ebay.com/i/282233531172...9%26rvr_ts%3De3600a0d1670a88417415731ffd174fe

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Been driving a lot of awesome, smooth running Diesels but never anything with a 4BT in it. The JK in europe runs great with the Diesel engine 200hp / 410Nm (302lbft).
Not talking to you, talking to the OP.

The 4BT is the heaviest, slowest diesel engine with the most vibration you can buy. If that's your thing, then by all means, swap one in! :D

Reactions: Chris
Have you driven anything with a 4BT in it?

I have. I used to think I wanted a 4BT until that day. That engine has no place in a Wrangler at all in my opinion. It’s a heavy turd of an engine. It's louder than hell, vibrates like no tomorrow, and is just a horrid, horrid engine to have to imagine living with. In addition, it weighs even more than the stock 4.0, which is another big red flag for me.

Sorry, just giving my opinion, not trying to trash talk.

Apart from the coolness factor of having a diesel engine, what is the reasoning for this swap..?

Elliott,
Remember NIKE :

Just DO IT

"It's a JEEP- thing, they wouldn't understand it"

Lol

To be honest ,I think it has to do with building something for myself ,the way I want it,be creative ,customize it and not having to follow firm guidelines ,especially if one makes a living fixing "client vehicles " in the utility industry day in day out

I hope this explains it and you can experience a similar satisfaction while wrenching on your own rig

-ollllllo-*

Thx for your advise
Yes,I was gonna purchase the ones of JD,but you got me thinking now
- are you using the JD hardware (enginemount brackets) and if yes,is there enough space to put the ROCKAUTO rubbers in ?
- I ran into an article where they modified a vibration damper of a 8.3 cummins ,to make fit onto the front of the 4BT and spoke highly of it

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Yeah I kept the jd brackets and just drilled a hole for the rockauto engine mounts. It’s much better, before it felt like a dozer now it’s smooth. If your starting from scratch I’d try the 3rd option or something similar with a slanted design as I think it would reduce vibration and give better support. Just my opinion though.

Also I wouldn’t use the stock radiator, it will work but it’s not good enough in my Jeep when doing 70 on a hot day. I’ll be switching mine out this spring ( not sure with what yet)

I have. I used to think I wanted a 4BT until that day. That engine has no place in a Wrangler at all in my opinion. It’s a heavy turd of an engine. It's louder than hell, vibrates like no tomorrow, and is just a horrid, horrid engine to have to imagine living with. In addition, it weighs even more than the stock 4.0, which is another big red flag for me.

Sorry, just giving my opinion, not trying to trash talk.

Appreciate your opinion and agree somewhat ,but,
That's the beauty of it all ....
We're All at different stages and I'm doin my best to make "IT" happen in 2019
-olllllo-*

Reactions: Chris
Everyone has there own opinions. I think the 4bt is pretty awesome in a jeep. Is it the perfect engine for it? No, but it’s still pretty cool and it’s not every day you get into a Jeep and hear that sweet whistling turbo lol. I don’t think it’s that loud myself but I’ve been around diesels all my life heck my car is diesel

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dQTzhHaeLXfrwwta7

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DETOUR
Appreciate your opinion and agree somewhat ,but,
That's the beauty of it all ....
We're All at different stages and I'm doin my best to make "IT" happen in 2019
-olllllo-*

As long as you are happy with it, that's all that counts!