Cummins 4BT swap questions

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Hey so I'm REALLY late to the party, but have you considered a Kubota Diesel engine instead? When I first wanted a Diesel Wrangler I took a hard look at the 4BTs, I see them available fairly regularly for around 3 ~ 4K, but the height and weight is what always stopped me.

The Kubota's are cheap, small, light, and very smooth, they don't have the rattles that the 4BT does.

Also if you are considering going with a 4BT I would HIGHLY recommend a different transmission. the 700r4 and 4l60E (which is just the electronic version of the 700r4) has WAY too big of a gap between 1st and 2nd gear. You are going to be winding the hell out of your 4BT in first gear trying to get the speed to go into second gear honestly.

Hope this helps, but I did do a video where I talked about the why I went with the Kubota setup versus another diesel engine available on the market here:

Reactions: derekmac
Hey so I'm REALLY late to the party, but have you considered a Kubota Diesel engine instead? When I first wanted a Diesel Wrangler I took a hard look at the 4BTs, I see them available fairly regularly for around 3 ~ 4K, but the height and weight is what always stopped me.

The Kubota's are cheap, small, light, and very smooth, they don't have the rattles that the 4BT does.

Also if you are considering going with a 4BT I would HIGHLY recommend a different transmission. the 700r4 and 4l60E (which is just the electronic version of the 700r4) has WAY too big of a gap between 1st and 2nd gear. You are going to be winding the hell out of your 4BT in first gear trying to get the speed to go into second gear honestly.

Hope this helps, but I did do a video where I talked about the why I went with the Kubota setup versus another diesel engine available on the market here:

Appreciate your input much !
Too late to back out now
Lol

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Appreciate your opinion and agree somewhat ,but,
That's the beauty of it all ....
We're All at different stages and I'm doin my best to make "IT" happen in 2019
-olllllo-*
Hi folks
The Cummins is married to a built 4L60E
Nop ,it’s not gonna power my GRUMMAN - canoe
😂
More later
02CF8C19-2ECD-406C-B155-6F6F05D7B4B3.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
Will do,but life happens and "things" are at a snails pace
-I'm unable to start shutting the jeep down until I have my family moved
-On a bright note ,the tranny is being built and I keep acquiring more parts
Okeydokey ,the build tread is in place ( keep in mind that it won’t b done overnight) 😊

Really looking forward to seeing this build. I had ideas of going diesel at some point when the 4.0 gets tired. At the a bit of research I'd lean towards either the VW 1.8 TDI or the Cummins 2.8. But this may sway me differently. Had a VW Rabbit diesel idea, but seems that just can't produce enough for a TJ.