Cummins R2.8 97 TJ

nuffsaid

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just purchased a Cummins R2.8 To swap into my 97 Jeep TJ. My main goal is low end torque and fuel economy mostly off road. My Jeep is mostly built, with the exception of the engine. If someone needs a good running 4.0, let me know it will be for sale soon. At this point I think I will pull the body off of the frame to do the engine install. It will mean tying up my two post lift for a little while, but hopefully not too long. The engine was supposed to show up on Fed Ex freight today, but I might be waiting 30-60 days for my adapter and motor mounts to show up from Quickdraw. I have decided to ditch my plans for retaining the A/C because I don't think it will be worth the trouble. My last engine swap was a 24v Cummins into a 1985 Suburban with NVG 4500 trans, NP 205 transfercase, D-60 front with detroit and 14 bolt rear with detroit, it was a cool rig. This one should be easier, I hope!

More parts showed up today,7x21 intercooler,2.5 polished aluminum intercooler piping, 3 inch polished aluminum intake tubing, AEM dry air filter, power steering hose and some 6 an fittings, a bead rolling tool for when I start cutting the tubing to fit, a centerforce II clutch kit, power steering reservoir and coolant reservoir. Now if my adapter and motor mounts would show up I could get started.

Engine from Cummins, 8500.00 + tax, free shipping
Bellhousing adapter and motor mounts from quick draw, 1500.00
New centerforce clutch, intercooler from ebay, intercooler piping from ebay, air filter, electric fan, power steering lines, misc fittings for engine, new Intellitronix digital gauges, will add about another 1000.00, smile factor when done, Priceless!

Intellitronix gauges showed up, I want to tear into the old girl, but I won't do it until I have an engine adapter and maybe the install kit from cummins , So I CAN GIT R DONE!

I know that feeling. I did mess up some on my swap by rushing, which was also my first swap, but I was driven by a motor to complete that build. I wanted to work on it every second of the day until it was ready to drive. It was even a bit hard to sleep I was so excited.

Btw I want to do a similar build to your Suburban swap, just with a YJ I've got, but it's gonna be extended a lot with custom steering and suspension to move that beast around. Also I'd like to go with an Allison transmission, so my wife can drive it some. She can drive a manual, but I'm adverse to the smell of a burning clutch.

I got an email from quickdraw today and Chad said the milling should be done on my bell housing this week and should ship out next week. I got my R2.8 alternator back from premier power welder ready to go with my welder. The install is going very quickly in my sleep, now I just need to start the transplant. The 4.0 has a phantom miss that might be a bad crank sensor that has only been in for a couple of months. A very nice 4.0 will be for sale soon.

I got an email from quickdraw today and Chad said the milling should be done on my bell housing this week and should ship out next week. I got my R2.8 alternator back from premier power welder ready to go with my welder. The install is going very quickly in my sleep, now I just need to start the transplant. The 4.0 has a phantom miss that might be a bad crank sensor that has only been in for a couple of months. A very nice 4.0 will be for sale soon.
Have you used their welders before? That sounds like a really good idea. Now I'm really interested adding a welder to one of my trucks.

Flux cored wire might be pretty handy in the field for me.

Have you used their welders before? That sounds like a really good idea. Now I'm really interested adding a welder to one of my trucks.

Flux cored wire might be pretty handy in the field for me.

I have one in my TJ.

IMGP0928.JPG

IMGP0930.JPG

Personally I'd want this more around the farm than anything. My issue so often is TJ vs truck, because most of the time I've gotta have my truck when we're messing with equipment, but the TJ can get places that the truck can't and the truck can tow/haul so much more. With so much equipment though I've been debating to get a bigger welder setup for a generator and maybe putting it on a trailer.

My truck is currently down (sprained my wrist replacing the clutch and need the wrist to heal before I can get it together) and I need to do some welding on a disc, but I have been picking up equipment and then putting it in the garage for repair, but it would be nice to just go there and weld it without all of the loading and towing. My guess is that the 1/4" and thicker steel is a bit too much for one of those as well, but it could at least scab stuff enough to buy some time.

Personally I'd want this more around the farm than anything. My issue so often is TJ vs truck, because most of the time I've gotta have my truck when we're messing with equipment, but the TJ can get places that the truck can't and the truck can tow/haul so much more. With so much equipment though I've been debating to get a bigger welder setup for a generator and maybe putting it on a trailer.

My truck is currently down (sprained my wrist replacing the clutch and need the wrist to heal before I can get it together) and I need to do some welding on a disc, but I have been picking up equipment and then putting it in the garage for repair, but it would be nice to just go there and weld it without all of the loading and towing. My guess is that the 1/4" and thicker steel is a bit too much for one of those as well, but it could at least scab stuff enough to buy some time.

Did you see this thread?

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/trail-welding-option.59300/
I don't remember what the max thickness was for these but yes I can see the application on a farm rig.

Reactions: BugoutJeep